• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Spring Awakening

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:34 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I'm also still hoping that eventually Funi will pick up the matching xxxHolic Shunmuki OVAs.

I hate to say it, but with Holic Season 1 getting down to it's budget release and two of the three main VA's (Todd Haberkorn and J. Michael Tatum) still being cast as leads in other anime, I'm finally starting to get a bit worried about us getting the rest of Holic. Could sales for Season 1 really have been that lousy?

As for the Tsubasa OVA's, I thought they were great - you just can't jump in without having watched the series (or read the equivalent manga chapters) first. It's amazing in hindsight how many little things the characters have said and done come back to them in Tokyo. As for Spring Thunder/the Nihon Arc, my only complaint is, well, the absence of the Infinity arc and most of the Celes arc. That means that among other things viewers unfamiliar with those arcs are not going to see how everyone dealt with the new status quo of the situations they were left in after Tokyo, know why Sakura is all of a sudden unconscious in Celes, and are never going to find out why Fai was so screwed up and exactly what it was he was keeping from the others. I highly suspect anyone who hasn't read the manga (or a good summary of those arcs) is not only going to be confused, but irritated or maybe even angry wondering what they missed.

I totally agree with you. Starting with the OVAs is like starting to watch Lost from season 4 or 5. I think the reason why the skipped the Celes' arc is because Clamp wanted the following OVAs to crossover with the Holic ones. What I really loved about the OVAs is they did not censore a thing (I'm kind of sadistic). Hell, in episode 2 Syaoran eats a... (throwing up) and in episode 3, Sakura wields a gun. Maybe these are not a very violent situations for Tsubasa, but if you watched Cardcaptor when the two characters were innoncent as hell, you would think that Clamp was jumping the shark (except it would count if they had done it in Cardcaptor)
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote
This may be an incredibly stupid thing to throw into the Tessa debate, but...

...I'm wondering if there's a gender factor to her popularity. As in males like her and females don't. When I talk to friends about the show, I find that many more guys like her and most girls seem to dislike her. Honestly, I find her incredibly annoying for many of the reasons stated already by others (specifically Erin and the whole molesting Sousuke thing), but most of my male friends aren't bothered by that and find her hot. So maybe she's a personality type/stereotype that attracts more testosterone than estrogen?
Are there other characters that are "Tessaesque" that invoke similar reactions?
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
Hah. I just realized the irony in here...

I'm one of those Tessa-lovers around here, yet at the same time, my by far least favorite character in the series was Leonard...

Anyone wants to talk unbelievable characters? Lol, the bullshit just keeps piling on for that guy. Truthfully, I'm glad Gatoh himself realized it and ...spoiler[fixed him up] when it mattered.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote
About the whole Tessa/Chidori debate, I often see that people that dislike Tessa is because she is seen as physically weak and most people dislike physically weak characters and despise said characters to be romantically paired with the strong male lead and shown as clingy and jealous, although they show to be more affectionate than the preferred tsundere character especially when the said tsundere shows her "dere" side. The reverse can be said about those who prefer Tessa and Sousuke together as she is sweet and gentle towards him and see Chidori as abusive as she tends to whack him with her paper fan and yell at him over every little thing and gets jealous over Tessa's personal relationship with Sousuke. I often wondered why characters like Tessa are seen negatively most of the time, when tsundere's like Chidori are just as bad.

Last edited by Mai Yukino on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I'm also still hoping that eventually Funi will pick up the matching xxxHolic Shunmuki OVAs.

I hate to say it, but with Holic Season 1 getting down to it's budget release and two of the three main VA's (Todd Haberkorn and J. Michael Tatum) still being cast as leads in other anime, I'm finally starting to get a bit worried about us getting the rest of Holic. Could sales for Season 1 really have been that lousy?
No, I already got the answer for why we haven't gotten the rest of xxxHolic yet. It was answered during the Baltiport Q&A thing that was going on here last year.

But Funi DID pick up another season of Sgt. Frog even after they said the sales weren't great enough to do so, so it adds to my hope.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
If you're not going to go into specifics about the BD vs. the DVD then don't even bother comparing the two. I've always seen shelf life as more of a review of the anime itself (Which is a good thing) not the techinical specifics or packaging, although that would be great if it was.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
If this is the only difference one can easily see, then it's money wasted. The show should have been better in HD.

I really wish ANN would disclose this information on every BD review. It's not fair to readers who may not know the content isn't true HD but an attempt at getting people to double-dip for the exact same series.

I don't have an HD TV yet... but anyway, Shelf Life is supposed to have short reviews. I think that kind of technical information ought to be in the longer, more formal reviews.

Jrittmayer wrote:
If you're not going to go into specifics about the BD vs. the DVD then don't even bother comparing the two.

Don't worry, we're going to avoid this sort of thing in the future.

utawoutau wrote:
Quote:
Love it or loath it, the design team has
settled into a wonderful groove by this point in the production.

I'm trying to figure out if that is a direct dig at this.

Hahah, no, it isn't! I've read comments from people who say "I can't read One Piece because it's so ugly."

John Casey wrote:
...Are we talking about the same Tessa here? Scratch that: Are we talking about the same show here?

...Maybe it's just you. Maybe, I dunno, you like the cookie cutter romantic leads. But I've always had a thing for girls with initiative. Tessa has initiative.

I just don't like her, from the first moment I saw her, and nothing I saw in the show ever changed my mind about my first impression.

vashfanatic wrote:
Oh wait. You like her. I don't, but not for the reasons Erin gave, obviously.

Wait, I want to hear your reasons!

Melanchthon wrote:
And she is a 'plot unfocuser': she can't do her prime 'mission' as a character, which is to mount an effective attack on Chidori, and whenever she appears in the plot it basically becomes filler and serves to only distract us from the central storyline.

I totally agree! (I wish I had said it so eloquently.)

Princess_Irene wrote:

I thought of Shampoo from Ranma 1/2... or a ton of girls from Ranma, but I didn't bring it up in the review because nowadays I don't think many people have seen Ranma. I think Shampoo is annoying sometimes, but her function in the show is comedic, and it's a comedy. She's not nearly as irritating as Tessa, who breaks up the plot of a plot-heavy show.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
...I'm wondering if there's a gender factor to her popularity. As in males like her and females don't. When I talk to friends about the show, I find that many more guys like her and most girls seem to dislike her.

Maybe so, but I'm a male, and I'm not that fond of the character, either. Mind you, I don't hate her, but I think that there are some Wall Banger aspects to how her character is portrayed. That she's treated within the show as more fragile and less of a fighter than Kaname, who's a civilian, doesn't make much sense to me. I'd expect that anyone with a combat role in a military organization would at least have basic training. It would be one thing if she had a strictly non-combat role and a rank that was mostly a formality (like, say, doctors who are technically "captains" or "majors" in a M*A*S*H unit), but she's commanding a submarine. She also comes across as lacking gravitas, and it's easy to forget that she commands Kalinin and outranks him, not the other way round. For example, her AS dual with Mao, where the loser is supposed to run around naked (What is this? A bad fanfic?), comes across as unprofessional.

Then again, I've found Full Metal Panic! to be an unevenly written series in general.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

...I'm wondering if there's a gender factor to her popularity. As in males like her and females don't. When I talk to friends about the show, I find that many more guys like her and most girls seem to dislike her. Honestly, I find her incredibly annoying for many of the reasons stated already by others (specifically Erin and the whole molesting Sousuke thing), but most of my male friends aren't bothered by that and find her hot. So maybe she's a personality type/stereotype that attracts more testosterone than estrogen?

As one of her defenders, I'd like to say that I'm a girl. Haha Smile
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Obviously, I am a Kurogane fangirl... good to know I'm not the only one who thinks he has a sexy voice... The weirdest part is going from Tsubasa to Kobato, another CLAMP anime, and suddenly Tetsu Inada is playing a blue plush dog. In pretty much the EXACT same voice.

But, yeah. Tsubasa OVAs. Certainly THE best part of the Tsubasa anime, but not the best part to start with. I think you appreciate the OVAs more, when all of the really bad stuff happens, only after you've gone through the first part and grown to care about the characters. Me? I've always loved a good knife to the heart moment, such as... well, all of the Tokyo arc.

The problem with skipping over the Infinity arc and most of the Celes arc is that they're skipping over a big chunk of the character development for two of the more interesting characters in the story, Fay and Kurogane. You get a little chunk of it at the beginning of Nihon arc, but you really miss the growth of those two characters, especially in their relationship to each other. Instead, we get to focus, YET AGAIN, on The Syaoran Story, which, to me, was interesting, but not what I'm the most invested in. And we've spent so much time on him/them already.
timesteel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Well the tsubasa ova's are good but they were meant to be watched along with the volumes with the volumes of manga they originally came with thats why the second set of ova's seems to start at a weird place. you won't understand alot of what happened at the begining of the second ova unless you read the manga. Now the tokyo arc is fine because it coincides with the anime just before the last arc (aka the filler arc).
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

This is pretty much the way it always plays out with characters like Tessa. Yes, there will be girls that like her conniving attributes and dislike Chidori's violent tendencies, and there will be guys that can't stand Tessa's shrill manifestation of physical helplessness and prefer Chidori's ability to stand next to Sousuke as relative equal. But overall, I think it does go down gender lines.

I'm not a fan of Tessa, though my brother really liked her when he was younger. My reasons for disliking her is the sort of soulless way she was created to appeal to guys, coupled with a healthy dose of that special brand of feminine manipulation that most guys seem to be blind to. To your average girl, I think she comes across as one of those stealth bitches that every guy you know seems to think is the sweetest creature ever. Whether or not a girl likes her depends on how much she like that sort of character or their own sensitivity to girls that don't play "fair" and are never called on it. (Ironically, after a recent rewatch of the series and after I had pointed out how she comes across from my perspective, my bro seems to like her less than I do...)
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:

Maybe so, but I'm a male, and I'm not that fond of the character, either.

FeralKat wrote:
As one of her defenders, I'd like to say that I'm a girl. Haha Smile

Sure, prove me wrong. Wink No, if there's one thing I've learned teaching a class on bodice rippin' romance novels at a coed school, it's that there are always exceptions to the gender rule. In general, though, I think there may still be a bit of that kind of divide.

erin wrote:
I thought of Shampoo from Ranma 1/2... or a ton of girls from Ranma, but I didn't bring it up in the review because nowadays I don't think many people have seen Ranma. I think Shampoo is annoying sometimes, but her function in the show is comedic, and it's a comedy. She's not nearly as irritating as Tessa, who breaks up the plot of a plot-heavy show.

I think a lot of the extraneous love interests can be put in the Tessa category, at least in part. (Man, did the end of 2nd Raid annoy me. It would've been great if they left that last bit in her office out.) I think of characters like Kirsch or the maid in "Familiar of Zero." As for plot-killers, usually that distinction goes to the pointless comic relief character in an otherwise serious show. Tessa to me is a combination of the two, making her doubly odious.

Edit: "Stealth bitch." Yes, yes that about sums it up. I love it.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
It always makes my eyes roll into the back of my head whenever someone calls Chidori a 'stock tsundere bitch'. She's a very friendly, agreeable, and reasonable person in normal situations, but she's very intolerant of foolishness and wanton destruction. She's basically the only thing keeping Sousuke in line, especially since Mithril has the school in their back pocket to make them turn a blind eye to his actions. It's part of the problem of the series looking at Sousuke's behavior both on a psychological level and using it for laughs.

Although it's not like it matters, she can't win either way. If he's punishes him, she's either a bitch because she's ruining his hilarious hijinks, or she's a bitch because he has serious issues. Part of her character development is finally learning how to understand Sousuke and his mindset. He even calls her out on how she really doesn't know a thing about him in the final arc of the first anime/third novel.

Last edited by KoujiTamino on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Good thing I enjoy both FMP bitches. I guess the most open-minded fella ends up grabbing a personal harem, huh? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3