Forum - View topic
Tenchi Muyo OAV 3


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
exukvera



Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Man, What a mess!!!
This mean Yosho is Tenchi's ancestor in both sides (mother and father!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 5984
Location: Penguinopolis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm impressed with this Tenchi section, especially the family tree.

C'mon Tenchi, break the chain of incest! Don't fall for either Ryoko or Ayeka!

Then again, we've seen in a TV series what happens when Tenchi falls for a third party candidate, and the massive hatred the fan community has for her.

Sakuya, we hardly liked ye.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SoloButterfly



Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 236
Location: Masaki Residence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Pretty Impressive section. Several mistakes though. Noboyuki and Mayuka are misspelled in several places.

Also, Tenchi is actually two 6 episode OAV's with two Specials. Episode 7 is the "Night Before the Carnival Special" and then there is the Mihoshi Special that the article mentioned. And depending on who you talk to, the Mihoshi Special is sometimes counted as part of the OAV continity and sometimes not. (Which means Kiyone may or may not be part of the OAV).

Also, the second Tenchi Muyo movie is based on novels written by the screen writer of the first OAV episodes, Hasegawa Naoko. She was the creator of the character Kiyone who is Mihoshi's ex-partner and it is from her that the name of Achika as Tenchi's mother came from.

Also, I was upset that there was no mention of Tenchi Muyo! GXP which is part of the OAV continuty and no mention of Magical Pretty Sammy OAV or Magical Project S TV.

Also, to be complete, you'd need to mention the two manga series as well.

So, you've been grossly mislead if you thought this article contained all of the complexity that is Tenchi. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Cloe
Moderator


Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Posts: 2728
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Reading over that enormous family tree made me rather light-headed... Anime dazed I'm quite fond of the original Tenchi OVAs, so the new OVA is definitely something I'm interested in. I never would have thought five years ago I'd have the treat of an in-depth look at the original Tenchi universe in 2005! I feel a little spoiled now. Props to the people who put this puzzle together!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animefan16



Joined: 24 Apr 2004
Posts: 999

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Surprisingly, they kept all the stuff about Tenchi being related to Ayeka and the other weird relationships when it was in toonami.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LuckyAstei



Joined: 21 Jun 2003
Posts: 139

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I think the scariest part is that Washu's first son was Mihoshi's Great Grandfather, meaning the woman she fears is related to her.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Tempest
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 8534
Location: Do not message me for support.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:27 pm Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
Pretty Impressive section. Several mistakes though. Noboyuki and Mayuka are misspelled in several places.


Nobuyuke isn't really a miss-spelling, but rather an alternate romanization. Nonetheless, I've changed it to Noboyuki, we should use the same spelling throughout the articles.

I fixed the spelling for Mayuka, thanks for pointing it out.



Quote:
Also, Tenchi is actually two 6 episode OAV's with two Specials. Episode 7 is the "Night Before the Carnival Special" and then there is the Mihoshi Special that the article mentioned.


Changed it to "two separate OVA series and a pair of specials".

Quote:
And depending on who you talk to, the Mihoshi Special is sometimes counted as part of the OAV continity and sometimes not. (Which means Kiyone may or may not be part of the OAV).


Left this as it was.

Quote:
Also, I was upset that there was no mention of Tenchi Muyo! GXP which is part of the OAV continuty and no mention of Magical Pretty Sammy OAV or Magical Project S TV.


Quote:
So, you've been grossly mislead if you thought this article contained all of the complexity that is Tenchi.


Well, our goal was to look at the "core" series. But I'll see if maybe an additional article can be added regarding the "peripheral" series such as GXP, the Pretty Sammy stuff and the manga...

I don't think we implied anywhere that it was a complete look at the entire Tenchi Muyo! franchise.... Anime smallmouth;

-t
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
radicaledward



Joined: 02 Mar 2003
Posts: 776

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most commonly this power is manifested as energy blades; in the original OVA series, these energy blades are referred to as light hawk blades.
Eh, I'm not to sure about the wording on this, the Light Hawk Wings or Wings of the Light Hawk (kou-ou-yoku) are not intended for offensive use, but rather as an energy shield that absolves any energy coming at it. Also, IIRC in the OVA only the ships (e.g. the trees) can summon the Wings of the Light Hawk; Tenchi is actually the first individual that can summon them on his own.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7258
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:41 pm Reply with quote
A good discription but there are a few mistakes in there. Firstly allow me to state that I have been a fan of Tenchi Muyo since I first caught glimps of it way back in 2000 on the UK Sci-Fi channel. Since that time I have researched this title vigorously to the point of going to AIC's Jananese BBS where I connected with another avid Tenchi Muyo fan who fortunately just happened to also speak, read, and write in English too. She kindly translated for me a lot of info that the outside world has yet to discover about this very deep story, and I am forever in her debt. AIC later created an English version of their BBS where even more info was delved into by another English speaking Japanese fan. (Thank you S-Naeo, where ever you are.) Therefore I can speak with a bit of knowledge about the various Tenchi universes but mainly I focus on the OVA as that is the true original story. In the OVA Tenchi's mother is not Yousho's wife but his daughter. Her name was Kiyone. The "blades" mentioned in Keys description are actually called "wings" Light Hawk Wings. "the Mihoshi Special" was a bonus stand alone pilot that was included with the original VHS "Collection" series that the then Pioneer LCD added to the two OVA's series. But it was produced and directed by a completely different team and based on the 12 volume fan-fic that the first OVA screen writer, Naoko Hasagawa, later wrote for publishing, (much to the displeasure of the original creator Mr. Masaki Kajishima.) It was a pilot for the "TV universe and also for Magic Girl Pretty Sammy" both of which later came to fruition. But it was never related to the OVA in any way apart from the character designs alone and Mr. K had nothing to do with any of them. "The Night Before the Carnaval" is the beginning of the second OVA season, not a "special". Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 11737
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
In the OVA Tenchi's mother is not Yousho's wife but his daughter.


This was an error which somehow crept in during editing. The line you're referring to was supposed to say, ". . .married a local girl, by whom he had a daughter who became Tenchi's mother."

Quote:
Her name was Kiyone.


In the OVA, yes, but not in the TV series or first movie.

Quote:
The "blades" mentioned in Keys description are actually called "wings" Light Hawk Wings.


This one was my gaffe; I knew that, but must have gotten my circuits crossed thinking about Tenchi generating the sword blade. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
"the Mihoshi Special" was a bonus stand alone pilot that was included with the original VHS "Collection" series that the then Pioneer LCD added to the two OVA's series. But it was produced and directed by a completely different team and based on the 12 volume fan-fic that the first OVA screen writer, Naoko Hasagawa, later wrote for publishing, (much to the displeasure of the original creator Mr. Masaki Kajishima.) It was a pilot for the "TV universe and also for Magic Girl Pretty Sammy" both of which later came to fruition. But it was never related to the OVA in any way apart from the character designs alone and Mr. K had nothing to do with any of them.


Interesting. First time I have seen some of those details.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7258
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
In the OVA Tenchi's mother is not Yousho's wife but his daughter.


This was an error which somehow crept in during editing. The line you're referring to was supposed to say, ". . .married a local girl, by whom he had a daughter who became Tenchi's mother."

Quote:
Her name was Kiyone.


In the OVA, yes, but not in the TV series or first movie.
Correct. but they are a different story by a different author. BTW all 3 Movies are TV universe canon, even DoD. But the reason DoD feels like OVA is because of the use of the "Light Hawk Sword" and spoiler[Ayeka's mention of "My brother's tree".] In the TV universe and TiT there wasn't any Light Hawk anything. But Ms. Hasegawa, who wrote DoD, allegedly took the opportunity to stick a few into Mr. K.

Quote:
Quote:
The "blades" mentioned in Keys description are actually called "wings" Light Hawk Wings.


This one was my gaffe; I knew that, but must have gotten my circuits crossed thinking about Tenchi generating the sword blade. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
"the Mihoshi Special" was a bonus stand alone pilot that was included with the original VHS "Collection" series that the then Pioneer LCD added to the two OVA's series. But it was produced and directed by a completely different team and based on the 12 volume fan-fic that the first OVA screen writer, Naoko Hasagawa, later wrote for publishing, (much to the displeasure of the original creator Mr. Masaki Kajishima.) It was a pilot for the "TV universe and also for Magic Girl Pretty Sammy" both of which later came to fruition. But it was never related to the OVA in any way apart from the character designs alone and Mr. K had nothing to do with any of them.


Interesting. First time I have seen some of those details.
You have only but to ask. If I'm an otaku in any anime, it's Tenchi Muyo, Ryo-Ohki. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tempest
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 8534
Location: Do not message me for support.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
This was an error which somehow crept in during editing. The line you're referring to was supposed to say, ". . .married a local girl, by whom he had a daughter who became Tenchi's mother."


Fixed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7258
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
BTW, you're still listing "two specials" when there was only the one. Also I don't believe that the "Mihoshi Special "is available on the OVA DVD. Like I said it was only available as a "bonus" feature on the VHS Collection series, no longer available from Pioneer/Geneon. Wink There was talk of it being apart of the Pretty Sammy DVD release, but didn't that get shelved, or cancelled?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 04 Oct 2002
Posts: 1428
Location: Springfield, MO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Being that I've been a big fan of the Tenchi franchise, I think it's pretty cool that you did this feature. Wink I am pretty pleased with how FUNimation has handled OVA 3 so far, and can't wait to get to the second volume.

BTW, I'll second the recommendation to include the spinoff series of GXP and Pretty Sammy. GXP doesn't feature the same characters as the core Tenchi series, but still fits firmly within the Tenchi Muyo OVA series storyline. Pretty Sammy, especially the TV series (Magical Project S), is a lot of fun and particularly underrated IMHO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 04 Oct 2002
Posts: 1428
Location: Springfield, MO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
BTW, you're still listing "two specials" when there was only the one. Also I don't believe that the "Mihoshi Special "is available on the OVA DVD. Like I said it was only available as a "bonus" feature on the VHS Collection series, no longer available from Pioneer/Geneon. Wink There was talk of it being apart of the Pretty Sammy DVD release, but didn't that get shelved, or cancelled?


Nope, the Mihoshi Special/Pretty Sammy OVA collection did get released, back in October of 2002. Smile Got into Pretty Sammy through the DVD release. Held off for the longest time on getting the series and remember being very excited when Pioneer finally announced they would be releasing both Pretty Sammy series on DVD. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group