• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tenchi Muyo OAV 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
BTW, you're still listing "two specials" when there was only the one. Also I don't believe that the "Mihoshi Special "is available on the OVA DVD. Like I said it was only available as a "bonus" feature on the VHS Collection series, no longer available from Pioneer/Geneon. Wink There was talk of it being apart of the Pretty Sammy DVD release, but didn't that get shelved, or cancelled?

Nope, the Mihoshi Special/Pretty Sammy OVA collection did get released, back in October of 2002. Smile
Further proof that it is not Tenchi OVA related, and that you will not find it with the 1st. & 2nd.OVA DVD as stated in the article. Wink
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... that family tree is very complicated.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
BTW, you're still listing "two specials" when there was only the one. Also I don't believe that the "Mihoshi Special "is available on the OVA DVD. Like I said it was only available as a "bonus" feature on the VHS Collection series, no longer available from Pioneer/Geneon. :wink: There was talk of it being apart of the Pretty Sammy DVD release, but didn't that get shelved, or cancelled?

Nope, the Mihoshi Special/Pretty Sammy OVA collection did get released, back in October of 2002. :)
Further proof that it is not Tenchi OVA related, and that you will not find it with the 1st. & 2nd.OVA DVD as stated in the article. :wink:

I think the Mihoshi Special was included with the Tenchi OVA in the Japanese R2 release, from what I've heard. As far as North American R1 releases go, it got its own release on DVD. Pioneer released Tenchi Muyo! Mihoshi Special and all 3 episodes of Magical Girl Pretty Sammy OVA on the same DVD. Pioneer's packaging (with split coverart and logos), however, makes it clear that they are two separate entities. The only notable correlation between the two is Pretty Sammy's brief appearance (along with talking Ryo-Ohki) in the Mihoshi Special (as well as the ED sequence), which I believe was the first time she appeared in anime.
Sketchee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
Also, I was upset that there was no mention of Tenchi Muyo! GXP which is part of the OAV continuty and no mention of Magical Pretty Sammy OAV or Magical Project S TV.

Yeah, I thought the lack of GXP was a major oversite. We didn't just meet Airi or Noike. They were in GXP. Noike was only an unexplained cameo (since it takes place chronologicallyafter the first episodes of the OAV), but Airi was a major character! She even explains Tenchi's family tree, visually and orally.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
"The Night Before the Carnaval" is the beginning of the second OVA season, not a "special". Wink

Sorry, I could have sworn that I read on a reliable Tenchi site that Night Before the Carnival was a special that occured between the two series.

Mohawk52 wrote:
"the Mihoshi Special" was a bonus stand alone pilot that was included with the original VHS "Collection" series that the then Pioneer LCD added to the two OVA's series. But it was produced and directed by a completely different team and based on the 12 volume fan-fic that the first OVA screen writer, Naoko Hasagawa, later wrote for publishing, (much to the displeasure of the original creator Mr. Masaki Kajishima.) It was a pilot for the "TV universe and also for Magic Girl Pretty Sammy" both of which later came to fruition. But it was never related to the OVA in any way apart from the character designs alone and Mr. K had nothing to do with any of them.

*adds information to my data bank* Ah, thanks for correcting me. I too am a Tenchi otaku and appreciate being I corrected so I can be sure to have accurate information. Anime smallmouth

Sketchee wrote:
Noike was only an unexplained cameo (since it takes place chronologicallyafter the first episodes of the OAV),

I read somewhere that GXP takes place one year after OAV three, can anyone tell me if this is correct?

And if we really want to try to cover all the bases, a slight mention of Dual! Parrallel Trouble Adventure may be good from what I understand. Wink spoiler[From what I understand Mr. Kajishima has said that Dual is related to the Tenchi Universe. We get a bit of an explanation of this in GXP when Seina finds an ancient mecha much like the ones featured in Dual and someone (can't remember exactly who at the moment Tsunami or Seto I believe) mentions that people from another dimension came to Tsunami and she gave them a seed. ]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
In the Brief Guide to the Tenchi Universe, Tenchi in Tokyo is said to take place after Tenchi Universe. I thought TiT/Shin Tenchi was completely separate from Tenchi Universe.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
In the Brief Guide to the Tenchi Universe, Tenchi in Tokyo is said to take place after Tenchi Universe. I thought TiT/Shin Tenchi was completely separate from Tenchi Universe.

It is completely separate. Once it gets to the episode that explains how they met in TiT, it pretty much breaks any possible connection it could have had to Tenchi Universe.
dragonlord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow thanks for the Family tree, knew it was complicated but not this complicated...
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:

I read somewhere that GXP takes place one year after OAV three, can anyone tell me if this is correct?

I believe I've heard that before. GXP does take place sometime after the events of the 3rd OVA at the very least, though. There are certain events that are implied to have already happened in GXP that are depicted in the 3rd OVA series.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:03 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I can see why you might have gotten confused (I'll admit I could have worded things a little better), but it does say in the next line right after the "Tenchi In Tokyo" entry that all three series are "different incarnations." TiT just starts its story a year or two later than the other two series because the characters have been together for a while at the start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
BTW all 3 Movies are TV universe canon, even DoD. But the reason DoD feels like OVA is because of the use of the "Light Hawk Sword" and spoiler[Ayeka's mention of "My brother's tree".] In the TV universe and TiT there wasn't any Light Hawk anything. But Ms. Hasegawa, who wrote DoD, allegedly took the opportunity to stick a few into Mr. K.

The very fact that Kiyone Makibi and the Lighthawk Sword (and what is clearly Tenchi's Lighthawk Wing attire) is reason enough to call "Daughter of Darkness" non-canon to the TV series. You can't say that something is canon with glaring non-canon entities in it.

It's sort of like a Dragon Ball Z movie, in that, but instead of its glaring plot holes disallowing its continuity in the just the TV series, the presence of Kiyone (who, while existing in the OVA universe, is on Earth inexplicably) means that it's not really canon to the OVA either. The reason why people say it's more related to the OVA is because ultimately it shares more characteristics with it.

Just because you, or even the creators say it's canon, the only logical conclusion is that it's either closer related to the OVA, or it's simply outside any of the continuities introduced.

As for Tenchi Muyo! GXP and Pretty Sammy being left out of the article, the article seems pretty clearly made to determined to get you primed for the new OVA, and knowing about Seina's adventures and Pretty Sammy are really unnecessary. In fact, one could say that talk of "Tenchi Universe" is excessive.

Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sketchee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
As for Tenchi Muyo! GXP and Pretty Sammy being left out of the article, the article seems pretty clearly made to determined to get you primed for the new OVA, and knowing about Seina's adventures and Pretty Sammy are really unnecessary. In fact, one could say that talk of "Tenchi Universe" is excessive.

Still, Airi is a main character in GXP and that explains her backstory and connection to Yosho and Tenchi's whole family tree there.

Most of Seina's adventures are extraneous to the plot, but the OAV leads up to the GXP episode with Noike and the Tenchi gang.

I suppose it's okay to put them in the new characters since they weren't in the previous two OAVs ... but they're not new to the OAV universe. Smile
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Sketchee wrote:

I suppose it's okay to put them in the new characters since they weren't in the previous two OAVs ... but they're not new to the OAV universe. :)

Minami isn't new, either. He appeared in the original OVA series (although very briefly).
Sketchee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:

Minami isn't new, either. He appeared in the original OVA series (although very briefly).

True, as did Tokimi and Z.

Seto was also prominently featured in GXP.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:17 am Reply with quote
I just want to take this moment to thank Bamboo for asking me to be a part of this synopsis. Lord knows after 330+ (I'm resetting the counter as soon as a 3rd OAV disc is in my hands) viewings of the OAV's I proved qualified. Laughing

Anyways, it was a lot of fun to be involved in this project, and I hope that the girls' bios and the "kissing cousins" piece were well enjoyed by the readers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4