• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tenchi Muyo OAV 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:56 am Reply with quote
Sketchee wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
After digging into my dusty files I can confirm that that is correct. However what I stated as the cause of Kiyone's death is also correct too. Smile (I love this, It's bringing it all back to me again.) Again this is all OVA. and not TV, or movies. Wink Appologies to Key on that point.. Embarassed

Yeah, it does get confusing but an easy place to confirm this one is in GXP. Airi tells Seina that she's Tenchi's grandmother and shows Seina the family tree and explains a good part of the lineage (while the rest is shown on screen). Airi then gets mad when Seina refers to her as grandma
I'd love to see GXP but it hasn't washed up on our shore as yet. So my info is only up to date with what has been already translated of the TTM novels (which isn't that much) and that was like 4 years ago. It is none the less true that Yousho did have Earthling wives, otherwise he wouldn't have been checking out enrollment for his siblings at the Galaxy Acadamy. There was some confusion back then as to whom Kiyone's mother's race was, Earth, or Jurai, because of Kiyone's failure to bond with Funaho tree. Yeah though the Juraians, who have been blessed with a royal tree do have long lives, they are none the less touchy about their age and being labelled elderly in anyway. You should see what Seto does if her grandchildren call her grandmother, scary! Wink
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
However what I stated as the cause of Kiyone's death is also correct too. Smile

No, that's from Hasegawa's novels, and is therefore non-canon. Wink

Kajishima has yet to disclose Kiyone Masaki's exact fate.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:26 am Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
However what I stated as the cause of Kiyone's death is also correct too. Smile

No, that's from Hasegawa's novels, and is therefore non-canon. Wink

Kajishima has yet to disclose Kiyone Masaki's exact fate.
Ah! These must be the ones she wrote shortly after the 1st. OVA finished. If this is correct then she has written two versions of Achika's cause of death. Rolling Eyes
The more I find out about these novels the more I can see why her and Mr. K had a falling out. I believe it was because of the confusion that her early novels, and the ones she wrote that were later used for the TV series, had caused that he wrote his "Shin, or True Tenchi Muyo" novels to clear the air. What I wouldn't give to get his novels translated and published. Come on Viz! Do the right thing!
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
If this is correct then she has written two versions of Achika's cause of death. Rolling Eyes

Not really, since neither she nor her novels had any substantial contributions to Tenchi Universe or Tenchi Muyo! in Love.

If you want to blame anyone, blame this guy. Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:23 am Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
If this is correct then she has written two versions of Achika's cause of death. Rolling Eyes

Not really, since neither she nor her novels had any substantial contributions to Tenchi Universe or Tenchi Muyo! in Love.

If you want to blame anyone, blame this guy. Wink
Now I know that's just Bollocks. The characters relationships, the plots, Detective Kiyone, Achika, it's all from her novels. It is well known in the Tenchi fandom in Japan and elsewhere that her novels were the foundation for the TV universe, and the movies. Now I agree that the TV universe may not have been canon to her novels chapter and verse, but they were certainly the catalist for them.
BTW as for the reason that Mr. K hasn't revealed why, and how, Tenchi's mum died in the OVA. I will guess he didn't have to as Ms. Hasegawa already did in her first set of novels. You will remember that she was the screen writer for the first OVA series. Therefore she and Mr. Kajishima would have had a very close relationship with the writing of the story, which I'll remind everyone here, didn't have a manga to fall back on as the OVA was THE one and only original and was being written as it was made. Mr. K had to have let her in on a lot of what the background was for her to fill in the blanks and come up with a decent script. It was after the first OVA was completed that she wrote her first set of novels that had an OVA feel to them and that is where the friction and controversy started between her and Mr. K. First for revealing some things he himself wanted to keep secret in order to tell his story, and for establishing names to characters, and indeed creating characters, he never intended. Her novels were a fan fic that went too far. That is what I ascertained from the answers I got from Japanese fans at AIC's Japanese BBS back then. So yes Ms. Hasegawa wrote that story about Kiyone (she called her Achika because Mr. K hadn't revealed her true name until much later) dying because of the affects of her failed bonding with Yousho's Royal Tree earlier, but Mr. K told her that's what happened in trust before hand. Wink She later went on to write yet another set of novels in which Tenchi himself killed his mum by an accident caused by him trying to use his "powers" too early. Rolling Eyes It is these novels that were the basis for the TV Universe.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:33 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It is well known in the Tenchi fandom in Japan and elsewhere that her novels were the foundation for the TV universe, and the movies. Now I agree that the TV universe may not have been canon to her novels chapter and verse, but they were certainly the catalist for them.

And it's the extrapolation of these "facts" into the English-language Tenchi fandom that leads to the speculative "fan canon" that the remainder of your post contains. Rolling Eyes
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:04 am Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
It is well known in the Tenchi fandom in Japan and elsewhere that her novels were the foundation for the TV universe, and the movies. Now I agree that the TV universe may not have been canon to her novels chapter and verse, but they were certainly the catalist for them.

And it's the extrapolation of these "facts" into the English-language Tenchi fandom that leads to the speculative "fan canon" that the remainder of your post contains. Rolling Eyes
Are you saying that those Japanese fans are wrong then? If so, can you please reference to any substantiated proof then? Wink
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Are you saying that those Japanese fans are wrong then?

No, I'm saying you're taking what they said and making things up to fill in the gaps.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:23 am Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Are you saying that those Japanese fans are wrong then?

No, I'm saying you're taking what they said and making things up to fill in the gaps.
Not about Hasegawa's novels and the TV universe I'm not. Wink
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, you're certainly giving her more credit than she's due. Wink

Negishi and Tsukimura definitely borrowed the character names from Hasegawa, but they spun their own little tale with different personalities for the characters (Hasegawa's Kiyone in Daughter of Darkness is different from Universe and the Mihoshi Special's whinier version) and different backstories (Achika certainly died for different reasons).
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:32 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Nobuyuke isn't really a miss-spelling, but rather an alternate romanization. Nonetheless, I've changed it to Noboyuki, we should use the same spelling throughout the articles.

But it should actually be Nobuyuki. =/ Both Nobuyuke and Noboyuki are wrong. The name is 信幸 / のぶゆき, and there's no other way to write those hiragana than no-bu-yu-ki. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
saingoth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
i dout really know. something is going to happan in the tenchi seires thats going to change spoiler[]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4