• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Bittorrent Test

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
This is cool I guess, but isn't it contradicting? They're using bittorrent, a program that we all know that all anime dubbing companies see as their enemies because of illegal downloading of their products, yet they want to use that same program to promote? You would think that they would focus on eliminating it rather than using it for their own gain.

Well, there are an awful lot of anime fans out there with Bittorrent. I think it would be a lot smarter (And, dare I say, easier?) to use the "evil" to their advantage like this.

I don't know if they'll start putting up entire episodes though. It'd be a good idea, but they'll have to "test the waters" on something like this first.

If I recall correctly, ADV was putting a lot of emphasis on their Animini discs . . . and they have yet to become a hit.

We'll see.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
It wouldn't be the first time a freeway, became a tollway. Wink
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Somehow, this piece of news isn't as shocking. BT won't eat up the bandwith, so I guess they've gotten one minor problem solved. I also doubt that entire first episodes are going to be put on BT for download. The 22 MB one should only cover a few minutes, probably not even half. Hopefully, they'll still have some trailers up on the site, since I don't use BT.
Kalium

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Hi no Neko wrote:
I don't know if they'll start putting up entire episodes though. It'd be a good idea, but they'll have to "test the waters" on something like this first.

They may want to consider something a little more substantial than promotional trailers like this, though. At 23 meg, this is the low end of where BitTorrent is useful at all. Much smaller, and they're better off with the usual HTTP. Perhaps higher quality promos...
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
I'm with Treeloot and Panon on this one. If more legal companies back BT instead of demonising it the world would be a better place.

I'm glad ADV have taken this step even if it's for 23mb odd, it's still a very large and positive step in the direction that some other media monkey fail to use to their advantage. Only other legal use of BT I know of is for to distribute Steam for developer of Half ife/Half Life 2, Valve

Let's hope Bandai and Geneon etc join the bad wagon too and show the big wigs of music and film how things should be done.

Go ADV.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tamachichiko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:50 am Reply with quote
It may be a good thing for BT to be used by ADV and other companies, but the truth is, if the viewers are able to download through BT, they're not only going to be able to download the promo torrent... but they're gonna wanna go find the series on Box Torrents or IsoHunt, etc.

Point already proven here:

DragonsRevenge wrote:
Hey, wow! That's great.

*goes to download the whole series elsewhere* Rolling Eyes

So I'm not sure reaching out towards Torrent users is such a good idea since they already have access to the series being promoted through other means... for free.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Jester Fizzle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:44 am Reply with quote
Even though it's easy to download almost anything you need, I find the quality lacks. If there is a series on BT I like, I'll end up buying it, just cause of the quality you get watching it.

Go ADV Exclamation
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I thinks its just ADV using bittorrent to cut down on bandwith load on there trailers. Simply dont see them relesing anything other then promos via it. even with DRM.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2