• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 (Mostly) Deadly Death Gods

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
The poll is a spoiler disaster waiting to happen. I should have realized before I clicked it.

Anyway, I'm responsible for Carnival Phantasm Lancer. That option is a ton of fun.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
Anyway, I'm responsible for Carnival Phantasm Lancer. That option is a ton of fun.

So he was on there thanks to you! I voted for him simply because it made me laugh to see him on the list (and I'm currently rewatching Carnival Phantasm).
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm slightly disappointed that Duo Maxwell and his Deathscythe weren't mentioned. Yeah, okay, he wasn't a supernatural judge of the afterlife, but he didn't go by the "God of Death" for nothing. At least give him an honorable mention.
jaw271

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Um, this needs some sort of spoiler tag or something. I don't follow the Naruto manga but I watch the anime and listing a character that has not died in the anime yet but has in the manga is really just not cool... Rolling Eyes Sad
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
I was looking through the new poll and found a typo:

"Forth Hokage" should be "Fourth Hokage"

User submitted answers might have typos (like that one), not a lot I can do about it.

jaw271 wrote:
Um, this needs some sort of spoiler tag or something. I don't follow the Naruto manga but I watch the anime and listing a character that has not died in the anime yet but has in the manga is really just not cool... Rolling Eyes Sad

It's a poll about death, so obviously it's pretty spoiler-heavy. And again, other than the initial 5-6 entries, others are user inputted so I cannot say which will end up there or not, what series they may spoil, etc. That said, the entires *should* only refer to anime deaths. I'm not going to count manga-only deaths.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the new poll is a hugely spoilerific and the theme of death is not a good idea. I feel sorry for anyone who has been wanting to watch PMMM (or any of the other titles) but hasn't seen it yet.

Such a list would be deleted if it were posted in the forums. So why is it allowed to be used as a poll without even so much as a warning?
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Maka's not a Shinigami. A better answer would've been Death the Kid.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Yeah, the new poll is a hugely spoilerific and the theme of death is not a good idea. I feel sorry for anyone who has been wanting to watch PMMM (or any of the other titles) but hasn't seen it yet.

Such a list would be deleted if it were posted in the forums. So why is it allowed to be used as a poll without even so much as a warning?

The column states, when you click on it, that it is to resurrect a dead character. The results aren't listed in the column itself where someone can just glance upon them accidentally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd revive Misuzu just so she could do her whole life over again, the right way. spoiler[No ancient curses, no disjointed family], just let her have a normal life.

Nice to see Descendants of Darkness on the list. Despite its relatively short run on Sci-Fi Channel, it was memorable enough. A shinigami agency is a pretty neat idea. I couldn't imagine the Grim Reaper doing paperwork though. XP

On the off note: This is officially my 1400th post here. Yay for sticking with ANN for so long! :3
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
EDITED:

Ok this is my 2nd edit.

I submitted "they died for a reason" choice, but after reading it more carefully, I was convinced that Yomi deserved to be revived after all the shit that went down. She ended up dying so tragically only because spoiler[some jackass framed her for a murder, and that was right when everything in her life was going so well.]

Honestly, people need to watch the whole friggin show to decide whether someone died in anime or not, because I see one character in the entry that died in the middle but got revived near the end. whoever put that entry down probably didn't watch enough.

There were also so many entries that never died in the anime. And for those who want to know, they are:
spoiler[-Emiya Kiritsugu
-Fuuko
-Nina Tucker]
[/spoiler]

Last edited by jojothepunisher on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
As others have said, Maka isn't technically a Shinigami--only Lord Death (Shinigami-sama) and Death the Kid are. They treat Shinigami as a separate species with lots of extra powers (including the ability to repel substances like hair dye...much to Kid's chagrin).

I was going to go with the "My favorite characters die for a reason" option because in most instances that's the case, but I ended up picking spoiler[Maes Hughes] because his daughter needs her daddy. Crying or Very sad
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:

I was going to go with the "My favorite characters die for a reason" option because in most instances that's the case, but I ended up picking spoiler[Maes Hughes] because his daughter needs her daddy. Crying or Very sad

Although it felt like crap when he died, his wife took care of the daughter just fine. Its being a while since I watched the show, but I didn't feel so affected by his death mainly because the show moved on so quickly you hardly had any time to feel bad for him.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
spoiler[-Nina Tucker]

What? No no, she most CERTAINLY died.

spoiler[After she was fused with her dog, Scar killed her to put her out of her misery, remember? This happened in both the original series and Brotherhood. The clones that Shou created later don't count because they weren't actually the real Nina.]
TG72

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for including Momo! She's a different and refreshing take on this kind of character. I'm still haunted by a line from the opening theme:

"I cannot touch you...but I can kill you" Shocked

Too bad someone felt like throwing in fanservice for that show...

Poll: I get the feeling Nina will win in a landslide
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
The poll is a spoiler disaster waiting to happen. I should have realized before I clicked it.

I want to vote for Lancer as Carnival Phantasm needs more fan appreciation (what did happen regarding Sentai's interest in the title?).

However, I do not recall Lancer ultimately dying in the show. As I recall, the episode Final Dead Lancer shows Lancer surviving.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5