• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 (Mostly) Deadly Death Gods

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Meroko - RIP Chieko Honda. You and your wonderful voice will be missed.
DeityofDestiny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:19 am Reply with quote
That's the most downplayed explanation on Touhou Project and it's popularity that I've ever seen.
kaydub

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
I'm slightly disappointed that Duo Maxwell and his Deathscythe weren't mentioned. Yeah, okay, he wasn't a supernatural judge of the afterlife, but he didn't go by the "God of Death" for nothing. At least give him an honorable mention.

I was thinking the same thing. Technically not a "god" in a literal sense, but as a Gundam pilot he was pretty much the closest thing to a god in the Gundam universe. And there's the fact that his Gundam itself is a mechanized representation of the Grim Reaper, arguably the most well known "god of death".

As for the poll, even though there were a lot of good choices, there could be only one for me... Kamina!
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
First off, kudos to whoever posted spoiler["The Going Merry"](from One Piece), I agree and voted with you. She did her BEST and wanted to do more... Crying or Very sad
CrowLia wrote:
But it would be nice if people posting on the thread would spoiler tag whatever they mention about the characters in the poll. Nobody is doing this, and I'm pretty certain that spoiler[Lelouch's and Spike's] deaths are huge spoilers

OK, I'll give you spoiler[Lelouch], but the other one... seriously?!? Dude, if you haven't seen Bebop all the way through by this point after it's been on TV pretty much non-stop for TEN YEARS and had like 5 different DVD releases, then I got nothing for you. IMO it falls into this category:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/12/05
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised to see Momo make the list considering that the DVD series is finally available in the states.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
First off, kudos to whoever posted spoiler["The Going Merry"](from One Piece), I agree and voted with you. She did her BEST and wanted to do more... Crying or Very sad
CrowLia wrote:
But it would be nice if people posting on the thread would spoiler tag whatever they mention about the characters in the poll. Nobody is doing this, and I'm pretty certain that spoiler[Lelouch's and Spike's] deaths are huge spoilers

OK, I'll give you spoiler[Lelouch], but the other one... seriously?!? Dude, if you haven't seen Bebop all the way through by this point after it's been on TV pretty much non-stop for TEN YEARS and had like 5 different DVD releases, then I got nothing for you....
So you're saying that we aren't accepting new anime fans into the fandom. This is a time where one might toss out adjectives like "entropic" and "myopic", but then realizes that such highfalutin words might sugarcoat the abject stupidity of your position. I don't believe in pulling punches when the fight is this dire.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

CrowLia wrote:

OK, I'll give you spoiler[Lelouch], but the other one... seriously?!? Dude, if you haven't seen Bebop all the way through by this point after it's been on TV pretty much non-stop for TEN YEARS and had like 5 different DVD releases, then I got nothing for you. IMO it falls into this category:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/12/05

Or maybe you could've considered that there are people living outside of the US. You know, that place called the rest of the world, where Bebop has never aired on TV or gotten DVD releases
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
So you're saying that we aren't accepting new anime fans into the fandom. This is a time where one might toss out adjectives like "entropic" and "myopic", but then realizes that such highfalutin words might sugarcoat the abject stupidity of your position. I don't believe in pulling punches when the fight is this dire.

How many people (even 20 years ago) quote(d) "No, I am your father" from Star Wars despite it being the big "spoiler of Empire Strikes back. Or how many people talk about "Lord of the Rings" plot points now? Like I said, I can understand annoyance with "Code Geass" or "Gurren Lagann" or especially things like current simulcasts like "One Piece" or Madoka Magica. But, C'mon, if you're an anime FAN and you haven't seen "Cowboy Bebop" or "Evangelion" or a few other universal titles and you're gonna scream "spoilers" on a site like ANN over this poll, then WTH? If you're THAT averse to spoilers, you never should have looked at the poll or even the article itself ANYWAY. (or were you not put off by the "spoilers" about Ichigo getting "hollow" and "fullbring" powers and other points noted in there)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
So does that God Hand count as death gods? They're pretty damn powerful. Hell I'm surprised that Guts managed to wound the female one and that was hell from what I heard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5