• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dub VS. Sub?

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you prefer--Dubs or Subs?
Dubs
38%
 38%  [ 173 ]
Subs
61%
 61%  [ 277 ]
Total Votes : 450

Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote
Poll requested by Darksorrow29.

Quote:
Hm... not trying to start that old debate but what about a Poll asking if people watch Sub or Dub? Be interesting to see an actual count. People can also explain why they prefer a certain option.

Alright, people. Let's keep this one clean, eh? I'd rather not have this topic turn into some raging nerd turf war. More like...nerd tea time, with healthy discussion. Smile

Personally, I choose dubs. When I first saw anime on TV when I was young, it was obviously dubbed. As I grew up and gradually watched more anime, I became one of those kids who aspired to actually breaking into the american VA business. Been in a number of fan voice productions online as well as unprofessional stage productions, have studied acting of all sorts on my own and will be taking classes for it soon, plan on moving out to where the work is(namely Texas) after high school and all as well, assuming I don't decide to first go to school for it.

Even though I prefer dubs, there are definitely times where I favor the sub of the dub, the most recent case being Canaan. Even so, dubs are better overall.
Your turns, peepz.

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
Subtitles for me. Here are a few reasons.

I first started watching anime on Toonami I always associated Dub with edited and censored. This led to me seeking uncut anime which was usually in Japanese. This led to my discovery of fansubs which further led me into the world of subtitled anime.

The biggest reason I watch subtitles though? I know and like a LOT of seiyuus. For me these days watching an anime is almost like when someone watches a hollywood movie. They know who is in the movie, how they act, etc etc. I think that's one of the biggest reasons I watch subtitles. People will always tell me stuff like "Cowboy Bebop has the best dub ever" and I admit it's probably the best dub I've heard... but when it comes down to watching i'll still pick the japanese because of Megumi Hayashibara.

On the other end some people are the complete opposite of me. Instead of liking seiyuus they know and follow dub actors.

If I own a show I will try it dubbed, but my first view through will most likely be subtitled.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I watch subtitled anime almost all the time to tone up my Japanese, but I'm not rabidly against listening to dubs. Smile
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Strictly sub-only. I have tried watching dubs several times, only to give up in frustration. This is even on what people consider good dubs, like Cowboy Bebop. I just can't do it.

I really wish I could watch dubs so I could multi task while watching anime, but I can't.

The only time I may possibly consider watching dubs, is if the original franchise is in English, like say the new Marvel anime or the Supernatural anime. If these do get dubbed, I may break down and try again, since it is kinda weird to hear familiar characters speaking Japanese.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Damn, dubs are getting raped in the ass on this one so far. Didn't expect that big of a gap. Laughing
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
As usual I won't make a decision.
I love both. I've got different moods, sometimes I'm too tired to read, sometimes I must switch the sound off. I like to compare different versions. I like dubbed songs (and I miss times where tracks were replaced. Trapp Ikka with Japanese song instead of Cantiamo Insieme? Gross...) . Besides when I buy DVD without dub I feel that company sees me as a jerk who will buy everything no matter of quality.
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I have tried to watch a few dubs, but they don't really suit my tastes and I never last long. So I watch subs exclusively. Not only due to preference, but also because without them, I'd never pay attention. Watching something in English (be it TV, movie, etc) means that I can multitask, and I always spend more time with the other tasks than actually watching.

Not to mention, I love to read. Seriously. I'll read the cereal box if it's all I've got on hand. Shampoo bottles in the shower while I wait for the conditioner to soak in. If I'm not reading, I'm not happy, so I actually enjoy reading subtitles.

Additionally, I'm very fond of several seiyuu. The Sailor Moon seiyuu are near and dear to my heart, and whenever I hear Hisakawa or Shinohara's voice, my ears perk up and my heart flutters a little. Not to mention favorites like Koyasu Takehito or Ogata Megumi.

That said, I'm sad when a series doesn't get a dub, because I know it's going to limit it's appeal and selling power. Just because I don't watch them doesn't mean I feel they shouldn't exist. Everyone has their preferences, after all.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I much prefer dubs. I've never had perfect eyesight and I'm slightly dyslexic, both of which make subs a chore. With subbed shows that I'm seeing for the first time it can take 45 or 50 minutes to watch 1 episode because I'm constantly pausing and backing up, and because I have to focus so hard on the text that I miss most of the action. It gets better with subsequent viewings but watching an episode in 25 minutes doesn't happen.

I don't avoid subbed shows entirely, I do have sub only shows in my collection, Aria for instance, but they are a small percentage of the total. I also don't pay particular attention to VA's - there are a few that I recognize but for the most part I don't really care. I'm more interested in being entertained than in analyzing the show for voice over quality and so on.

It has always mystified me that people get so worked up over the issue. With very few exceptions a dubbed show also has a subbed track, so if you don't like your anime dubbed don't watch it dubbed. Use the subtitled track - it doesn't seem all that hard. With both options often available beating each other up over dub vs sub seems like a waste of energy.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Sub. Nothing against dub, but it just doesn't work for me... it feels like a completely different medium, and one that I like a lot less.

I think I may have a thing or two against humanity in general, hence why I'd rather not understand it.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Well I will go against the grain ans day I like dubs more than subs. Now this may seems backwards, but I find it easier to watch something when I don't have to watch both what's going on the screen and the subs at the same time. Don't get me wrong I do like watch subs now and then too, but I almost always watch something in English first if possible so I can fully focus on what is happening on screen.

Plus too, I have an easier time know when a VA is not doing a good job in English, than I do with a Japanese seiyu.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I prefer dubs as long as they're decent (there are the 3 dubs that I cannot stand though, one of them is not Garzey's Wing which is terrible but sooooo good!), because I can understand the story better in my native language of English. I'm a pretty auditory person so I prefer being able to hear it all. And it frees up my eyes to watch it as well.

I'll certainly watch subs though if it's the only way or if it's one of my three dubs from hell.
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I prefer to watch all my anime sub, but it not because I hate english dubs. It because I like to watch anything in their original form, for example if I am watching a french film, I watch that with the french track with subs.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Subs all the way for me, with a few exceptions like Ranma, Tenchi Muyo, Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva, Dragon Ball Z (Ocean Studios version), and a few others. But 90% of the time I watch subs. Hearing most dub shows makes me want to hit my head against my desk due to being absolutely terrible to listen to.

Also, how come there is no "Both" option? Maybe some people like watching dubs with subtitles on? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I started out preferring dubs back with VHS when you had to make a choice. With the advent of dvds you got both in most cases. With that I found myself backing up to listen to the Japanese track just to see if I could pick up some words or phrases. Over time I just quit bothering with the dub track stick with the sub version.

Even when I still listened to the dub version I would do it with the subtitles on. Now it bothers me on English language stuff when I can't turn on subtitles.

It turned out for the best since so many things come out sub only now. I have never seen the logic of missing out on something you would otherwise like just because you don't care for the format.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Also, how come there is no "Both" option? Maybe some people like watching dubs with subtitles on? Laughing

Deaf people, for example.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15