Forum - View topic
Dub VS. Sub?


Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you prefer--Dubs or Subs?
Dubs
38%
 38%  [ 169 ]
Subs
61%
 61%  [ 268 ]
Total Votes : 437

Author Message
Rukiia



Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Posts: 1763
Location: British Columbia, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
Also, how come there is no "Both" option? Maybe some people like watching dubs with subtitles on? Laughing

Deaf people, for example.

Or people like Alan45? It is not only deaf people who watch things in English with subs on. My friends would watch Futurama with the close captions on and none of them are deaf. I don't know why they do, but they do. O.o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist
Pirate KingPirate King


Joined: 20 Jun 2008
Posts: 7669

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
That was just an example! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Rukiia



Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Posts: 1763
Location: British Columbia, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
That was just an example! Laughing

Wasn't sure if you were mocking me or not. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate85



Joined: 06 Oct 2006
Posts: 2648

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I lean more towards those subs...dunno why to tell you the truth. The first series I ever purchased was the El Hazard TV and it was subbed so maybe that has something to do with it. I find that I judge the English dubbed voices a lot. I guess its because I'm a native speaker, as apposed to Japanese where I really can't tell if their acting is on par or not.

Been watching a lot of dubs lately though. FMA Brotherhood and DRRR!! are fanf*ckintastic. I'm a big Patrick Seitz fan now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darksorrow29



Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Posts: 371
Location: United States

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Subs all the way for me, with a few exceptions like Ranma,


Surprised you picked Ranma since there are a few big names in it. Is it because you watched it dubbed at first? Just curious as I have been watching the show recently and have never seen it dubbed yet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Rukiia



Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Posts: 1763
Location: British Columbia, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
Subs all the way for me, with a few exceptions like Ranma,


Surprised you picked Ranma since there are a few big names in it. Is it because you watched it dubbed at first? Just curious as I have been watching the show recently and have never seen it dubbed yet.


Yup, that is correct. I was also only 10 years old when I first watched it. I actually preferred dubs over subs when I was a kid because it was sometimes hard for me to read the subs. So alot of the old school anime shows I watched way back when were in English dub.

And the Ranma dub is actually quite good. Ranma's male voice is done by a chick for the first few seasons. Then it was replaced by the guy who did Inuyasha's voice. It wasn't as good then. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
errinundra
Enjoying the time of EVEEnjoying the time of EVE


Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2581
Location: Melbourne, Oz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
I haven't voted because I like it both ways. Cool

First viewing is always the sub and I follow up with a viewing of the dub. From then on, it depends on the quality of the two versions (there are some poor quality subs) and the appropriateness of hearing it in English, eg Baccano!. I prefer to watch without having to read subtitles but, yes, the dub is often irritating.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe



Joined: 17 Dec 2010
Posts: 1388
Location: Two Steps from Hell.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
I like subs better, but I watch dubs once in a while (when I can't find the damn sub). I don't know why I prefer subs, maybe it's just my inner otaku/weeaboo/whateverstereotypefitshere, but I enjoy listening to different languages. I think I enjoy subs better because of the cute female Japanese voices.

Also, with the many dub lovers here, I'm beginning to enjoy dubs more than I used to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Thorn of Camorr



Joined: 20 Feb 2011
Posts: 36
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
Honestly this is very hard for me to make the choice. That's simply because there are some anime that I saw dubbed first and actually like those dubbed better than I do subbed. However if there is a series I saw that was subbed first then I tend to prefer to watch it subbed. However lately I've been able to switch between the two with no real problem. Though ones like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and Rurouni Kenshin I still prefer to watch them in English because the dubs just feel right if that makes sense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richard J.



Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 3367
Location: Sic Semper Tyrannis.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
+1 for Dubs here. (Try not to die of shock. Wink )

Several factors in my case.

First, I prefer complete silence when I'm reading anything so I can imagine the words being spoken. (Either by a general narrator or in-character.)

Second, I have problems with my eyes so reading requires me to focus a bit more and the strain gives me headaches when reading from a computer screen or TV.

Third, I feel disconnected emotionally from characters when I don't actually know what they are saying. Yes, I can read the subs but while they are a translation of the spoken lines, they are not the spoken lines. Does that make sense? It's like, I know a few Japanese words and phrases and when those pop up, I feel more impact from the words.

Fourth, I got into anime specifically because I liked the performance of an English dub actress in a video game, so on some level I feel like my preference should stand on general principle. (Laura Bailey and the game was Bloodrayne if anyone cares.)

Fifth, I just plain LIKE the English VAs. Why should I listen to the Japanese VAs on a regular basis if I actually prefer and enjoy the English VAs more? (Note: I have ZERO issues with the Japanese VAs. I can and do watch legal streaming anime sub-titled. I just don't buy anime unless it has an English dub as I don't feel my cost to benefit ratio is good enough.)

I have other reasons too but those are probably the biggest. As has been previously mentioned by others, I think a BOTH option would have been an appropriate inclusion. Technically I'd fall into the category given my sub-only stream watching though my buying patterns are strict hybrid releases.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
HyugaHinata



Joined: 25 Jun 2005
Posts: 1856

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Fifth, I just plain LIKE the English VAs. Why should I listen to the Japanese VAs on a regular basis if I actually prefer and enjoy the English VAs more? (Note: I have ZERO issues with the Japanese VAs. I can and do watch legal streaming anime sub-titled. I just don't buy anime unless it has an English dub as I don't feel my cost to benefit ratio is good enough.)


I too have the highest respect for voice actors of all stars and stripes.

Anyone who's heard ANNCast's interview with Yuri Lowenthal will know that their job is far from easy, and though the hourly rate may be generous, the real challenge is getting enough work to pay the bills.

The ANNCast in question: animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2009-11-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Tris8



Joined: 30 Oct 2009
Posts: 2113
Location: Where the rain is.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is a hard one. I watch dubs and subs pretty equally, though there a few shows on both sides that are absolute must avoids!!! DBZ in sub is unbearable for me because of Goku's voice. Also, Hikaru no Go is horrible in dub because of Sai's voice; It's really depressing that they made him sound like a teenage girl.
XXXHolic is a must-watch in dub for me for 2 reasons. I was originally watching it in sub and I actually thought the voices were fine, it's just the subs themselves were bad (and it wasn't a fan sub!). Some lines weren't even translated at all!!! So I started watching the dub and the VA for Yuko is just amazing! Even sub fans should be impressed with her.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 5919
Location: Penguinopolis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:15 am Reply with quote
I voted "subtitled", however, there are several English dubs I enjoy.

My point of view is that English dubs have a place as a marketing tool, and many of them are good, but I generally prefer to watch something in its original language, especially since I find the Japanese cast usually performs better and I disagree with some of the practices present in English dubs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious



Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Posts: 5058
Location: Fresno, TX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this kind of one-sided? There are some dubs that far surpass the Japanese version. You should east least have a "depends" option.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara



Joined: 23 Nov 2009
Posts: 1663

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Isn't this kind of one-sided? There are some dubs that far surpass the Japanese version. You should east least have a "depends" option.
I like forcing people to make decisions. Twisted Evil

Besides, a "depends" option doesn't really fit if the question is which one they prefer overall. And it looks like dubs have made a late-in-the-game comeback.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group