• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dub VS. Sub?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you prefer--Dubs or Subs?
Dubs
38%
 38%  [ 173 ]
Subs
61%
 61%  [ 277 ]
Total Votes : 450

SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
^ Naoki Urasawa is another mangaka who is good at differentiating people of different races. While he suffers a tiny bit from "same-face", you can still tell that his Asian characters are distinctly Asian, while his Europeans are much more varied depending on their individual ethnicity.

It helps that he's a total Euro-phile and loves studying up on the lifestyles and traditions of Western society.
Raspberry'Gynoid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Subbed. I'm a fan of Japanese seiyuu, and their work is generally far more cute than American voice acting.

Also, English is a boring language since I'm a native English speaker.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Raspberry'Gynoid wrote:
Subbed... English is a boring language since I'm a native English speaker.

Look at the bolded part. Congratulations. You just p***ed off every English major, writer, and lover of words out there. The thing is that every language- not just English and Japanese- has a variety of words. Words are wonderful things. They can have different meanings, can be played with for jokes, can be constructed to make pretty prose, blah blah blah. My point is, just because English is your native language, does not automatically make it "boring". I say this because English is my native language too. Even then, I don't know every word out there. New words are constantly being added to the dictionary every year. When you say ignorant things like you just did up there, you're going to make a lot of people angry.

...Moving on.

I have chosen to watch dubs most of the time, only resorting to subs if the dub is unlistenable. It feels more comfortable to watch something in a language I know. I can judge the acting better. And finally, to paraphrase Miyazaki-sensei, I prefer to watch my anime, not read it.

Oddly enough, I've noticed that some of the most critically-praised anime dubs are for shows not set in Japan. What do you think?
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
[quote="SpacemanHardy"]^ Naoki Urasawa is another mangaka who is good at differentiating people of different races. While he suffers a tiny bit from "same-face", you can still tell that his Asian characters are distinctly Asian, while his Europeans are much more varied depending on their individual ethnicity.

thanks SMH i will look into Naoki Urasawas work
i see he did Monster (in my collection)
and Master Keaton…(in my …waiting till they release as a set list)
any other recommendations for Mr. Naoki's work
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
^ 20th Century Boys, Yawara, Pluto, and Billy Bat.
Raspberry'Gynoid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:32 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Look at the bolded part. Congratulations. You just p***ed off every English major, writer, and lover of words out there.

Wow. That's quite an extreme reaction. I doubt I upset every single person in love with the English language enough to do that stuff.

By "it's boring since I'm a native English speaker", I didn't mean the language is boring itself, of course. The qualifier of me being a native speaker is important, because it means I'm not trying to act as if English is an objectively boring language, or anything like that. But that's it's boring to me.

It's not completely boring, but it's a lot more boring than me learning or experiencing something in English. I realize that I find watching anime in English more boring. And that it comes from somewhere. I'm sure not every native English speaker finds their own language boring. But it's a significant contribute to why I, personally, find the language more boring. Enjoying something in another language feels like a more new experience to me.

You can argue that also applies to my own language, that I have much I have yet to learn, and that no one knows everything about the English language. But I am fluent and English, while I am not fluent in Japanese. And that contributes to making Japanese more interesting to me, and English less interesting to me. I know enough about English that I want to branch out.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
The thing is that every language- not just English and Japanese- has a variety of words.

I didn't say anything to the contrary. Only that English is boring to me because I've been fluent in it since I was a small child.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
My point is, just because English is your native language, does not automatically make it "boring".

It does for my personal experience, personally. I never pretended that this were some kind of objective truth that applies to everyone.

Merely that English being my native language and not being a polyglot, makes me want to be a polyglot, and is a primary contributing factor to me finding English a more boring language.

You're being extremely assuming.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
When you say ignorant things like you just did up there, you're going to make a lot of people angry.

Rather, I'm not being ignorant. You're just being extremely, terribly assuming. I expressed my preference for Japanese audio in anime, and the underlying psychological reasons I feel this way. Which were completely reasonable, I especially feel, in comparison to the elitism that "subs are better than dubs".

I don't think that subs are better than dubs. I think it's completely subject and neither Japanese or any other audio is better than any other. Nor do I think that Japan is a better country. Or any of the things that are often problems with preferences for subs or how they are expressed.

Instead, I just expressed my subjective, personal experiences and feelings as a native English speaker that have lead to my preferences for subbed(or even raw) anime.

There's absolutely nothing ignorant about preferring Japanese audio. Nor about being a native English speaker being a major contributing factor. You're being ignorant, intolerant, and assuming. And my statement is unlikely to many anyone angry other than the extremely intolerant like you.

And I'm sure that many "lovers of words" are polyglots or aspiring polyglots. Who feel very similarly to how I do.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
It feels more comfortable to watch something in a language I know.

This doesn't much sound like something a "lover of words" would say. You're going to get a lot more diversity with multiple languages in your life.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:52 am Reply with quote
This poll should have included an option for not having a preference for what you'd prefer listening to from an anime. In my case, I never really got why this debate always exists with anime fans. As long as there is genuine effort put in by the voice cast and the script sticks to whatever was intended by the show's creators and the dub is mostly faithful to the original Japanese version of a series, I could care less what language I'd have to listen to for audio from an anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
@RaspberryGynoid

Wow, it's a been a while since you responded. Look, I didn't have a lot to go off of with your post. All I saw was "I watch subs because English is boring". With what little said and how you worded it, a few of my buttons were pushed. Still, I guess I could have worded my own response a little better.

And the reason I watch my anime dubbed is because I have sensory issues. I've had them all my life, (I'm an incredibly picky eater, for example) and it feels more comfortable to be watching something in my native language or in children's Hebrew. And of course, to quote from the great Miyazaki himself, I like to watch my anime, not read it.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I've always had a preference for subs, although if I could I would actually prefer to watch raw, since I am fluent in Japanese. I've tried to watch some dubs and I can only say that they really haven't been able to provide the depth to characters that you would get from the original Japanese language dub in the series. Sometimes these dubs just come out real corny and it is a pain to the ears.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Lacus Clyne_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
I'd really prefer subs, though I don't particularly hate dubs. Probably because I can feel the intensity of emotions in Japanese much more than dubs and I also know that being a Japanese voice actor is a really tough job considering that there are many competitors in the industry but only the few talented ones can remain.
RokugoPeachMoon

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Besides when I buy DVD without dub I feel that company sees me as a jerk who will buy everything no matter of quality.

Yeah, a release with a dub does not have greater value or quality than a release without one in my opinion. If anything, I feel that dub fans will watch and defend/apologize for ANY dub that gets made, regardless of how sub-par and horrible it is (as long as it is in english, they will consume it).
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I still prefer dubbed anime but really I don't give a shit as much now as I did a few years ago, subbed is usually ok but it does depend on the series and a few other factors.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
RokugoPeachMoon wrote:
Yeah, a release with a dub does not have greater value or quality than a release without one in my opinion.

A dub does increase the value for somebody who wants a dub. It does not increase the value for somebody who does not want a dub.

Quote:
If anything, I feel that dub fans will watch and defend/apologize for ANY dub that gets made, regardless of how sub-par and horrible it is (as long as it is in english, they will consume it).

In addition to being insulting that seems rather ridiculous to me.
If all that dub fans want is to hear somebody speaking English we could watch North American TV or movies, or just have a conversation with real people.
Violynne

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't prefer one over the other. I've been watching subtitled anime for many years so I'm a quick reader to enjoy both the conversation and what's on screen. If I watch a dubbed episode, I consider it vacation for my eyes.

I don't know if others do this, but I'll often watch both versions (usually subtitled first, then dubbed). It's a little weird to hear different character voices at first, but it passes quickly.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:

I don't know if others do this, but I'll often watch both versions (usually subtitled first, then dubbed).

I do this frequently: subbed when it's streaming, and if I liked it, I watch it again dubbed when it comes out
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15