• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Licenses Oreimo 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Shiratori1 wrote:
Those who don't love the series as much as they say they do will pout because their entitled wish of super cheap Anime on Blu-ray with dubs isn't being fulfilled (sucks for them).

Don't use the analogy of "If you love it, you'll pay whatever price they put out because your blind love will automatically make you ignore your budget" because that is not true.

I am cool with most of the pricing AoA uses on their in-house releases (The Garden of Sinners DVD set being the exception), but I agree with Kazemon15 that you cannot let your love for an anime blind you.

I happily paid $150 for Bakemonogatari (one of my top 20 favorite animes of all time), but if AoA had priced it above $300, I would have had a lot of trouble justifying that expense.
ShindoW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I love the series, too, but I'm not paying the insane price for it. If it had a dub at the same price I would consider. I also don't care for bluray when it comes to newer animation, so I really don't want to pay more just for that, either.

I need to pick up the DVD re-release. Nice to hear its going for $50, but so bummed I had a con the weekend the LE was announced. I totally missed out...
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:

I truly love Digimon (seasons 1-4) but could not afford to buy 4 $700 Japanese boxsets (when it was still in print), does that mean I do not "truly" love the show because my bank tends to go to bills? Don't use the analogy of "If you love it, you'll pay whatever price they put out because your blind love will automatically make you ignore your budget" because that is not true.

Yeah, I'm calling B.S. on the idea that most fans who want Anime releases, specifically Aniplex of America's, have to choose between buying them or paying their mortgage, rent, bills, etc. and have absolutely no discretionary funds at all. The fact of the matter is that there are a number of fans, particularly casual fans (probably including some of the individuals on this page complaining about the unannounced price of this release), that could buy Aniplex of America's releases, but instead choose to buy other non-essential items with their discressionary money (ex. new clothes, shoes, video games, electronics). The fact of the matter is that if you really like series that are available for purchase and want to own them, sometimes you have to give up other non-essential purchases and spending to pay for it (I haven't bought any video games in the past several years because I made the decision to buy the anime series that I love and want to support). As far as my previous post is concerned, I was not telling people to live outside of their means (that was a false implication on your part). What I was implying (maybe you didn't catch it) is that there is a large number of Anime fans in the U.S. who have been spoiled by bargain bin pricing over the past several years to the point that if a series doesn't exactly fit their ultimate wants and desires and isn't at a bargain basement price, they won't buy it (regardless of the fact that Anime companies "giving away" their releases for rock bottom prices is unsustainable, and is one of the factors that has contributed to the U.S. Anime industry's troubles over the past several years). Ultimately, if fans want the U.S. Anime industry to continue to exist and for the companies involved to continue to release shows, they are going to have to learn to accept new pricing structures for releases (anyone who says otherwise is simply wrong, out for themselves, and doesn't care about the industry's survival).

Quote:
Now, if the set was 60ish dollars, that's a little more affordable...then you can use that analogy. But for something more than $130, don't use it because it's not true and not fair.

The idea of affordability with regards to the prices of Anime releases is a subjective term. How its defined varies from fan to fan. Just because the price of a release may not be acceptable and reasonable to you doesn't mean that other fans as a whole share that opinion (ex: people have already pre-ordered the import of the first season, despite it being outside of your "reasonable/unreasonable" range). As far as my "analogy" is concerned, it is fair in my opinion based on the explanation of it that I provided above (you are welcome to disagree with it) and I will continue to use it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
Ultimately, if fans want the U.S. Anime industry to continue to exist and for the companies involved to continue to release shows, they are going to have to learn to accept new pricing structures for releases (anyone who says otherwise is simply wrong, out for themselves, and doesn't care about the industry's survival).

I absolutely agree with your thinking. It is so hard to find people who believe that higher pricing is what the (R1) anime industry needs to survive and be healthy. The idea that one day a company like FUNi will be able to sell on average 25,000 copies per series at $30 a piece is very unrealistic.

However, for as much I support higher pricing in anime, I do not want anime to cost more than $10 per episode. That is roughly similar to a third of what Japanese pay (paying $30 per episode is too much money).

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
28076004505531 wrote:
Get it dubbed and I'll buy a copy.

Would you be willing to pay $300 if it is dubbed?

Aniplex's billingual releases are usually made specifically for us, and are not imports. Thus, they are usually significantly cheaper. At least their Madoka singles (regular, not special edition) cost about the same as DVD singles from 10 years ago. The sub-only Blue Exorcist DVDs were the same, and those weren't imports either. I wouldn't buy them now though, because of the dub (which will probably be released as soon as it's run on Neon Alley is finished), and the fact that the picture quality wasn't that good, from what I hear.

Aniplex essentially has two pricing models:

REGULAR releases (Durarara, Madoka Magica), that cost $30-$40 per DVD single. It's far from perfect, but at least it's workable. There are also the special edition releases, like what they did with Madoka, that cost $80, which wouldn't be bad for a complete collection, but considering it's only a third of the series, they're clearly aiming for the die-hard die-hards here.

and
IMPORT releases (Fate/Zero, Bakemonogatari) that cost hundreds or even THOUSANDS just for a couple dozen episodes. However, it being an import product direct from Japan, the pricing is gonna be high.

With that said, very few DVD or Blu-ray sets are worth hundreds of dollars. The Dark Shadows boxset cost $600 MSRP (but you can find it for as low as $300), and that had all 1,225 episodes of that series.

If Aniplex licensed a series I liked, I would just wait for them to actually RELEASE the show itself, after the expensive imports are gone.

I just want them to get their product out as well as... pretty much every other company (including Discotek and Nozomi) and sell directly on sites like Amazon.com (their releases do have listings on Amazon, but only for the seller marketplace). They'd have more customers, and make a lot more money that way. There's probably a lot of people who don't even KNOW about these releases because they're only sold fairly quietly on a few websites.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
IMPORT releases (Fate/Zero, Bakemonogatari) that cost hundreds or even THOUSANDS just for a couple dozen episodes. However, it being an import product direct from Japan, the pricing is gonna be high.

The Bakemonogatari set is not an import. Speaking of which, I would say that AoA has another pricing structure in their sub only, BD, complete collection sets (Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari) for $149.98-189.98 SRP. I hope they continue to do this with nice titles that look best in HD.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Hyperbole much? Thousands? Very, very, very few series approach that mark. Majority of 1 and 2-cour series cost less than $1000 to buy.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

The Bakemonogatari set is not an import. Speaking of which, I would say that AoA has another pricing structure in their sub only, BD, complete collection sets (Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari) for $149.98-189.98 SRP. I hope they continue to do this with nice titles that look best in HD.

I think that might be something of a "middle of the road" thing, considering they didn't even do a DVD release (I currently don't own a Blu-ray player, so I couldn't get them even if I wanted to). I would guess if it sold decently enough, they would do a cheaper re-release without all the bells and whistles. I don't need all the extra crap. I just want the damn show on DVD (not Bakemono- in particular though. The only shows Aniplex has that I like are Durarara, Madoka, Fate/Zero, and Blue Exorcist. The latter two will likely see releases similar to the former two). Aniplex needs to be more consistent. They're so hard to predict.

I do like that they pursue TV broadcast though. I wish companies like Sentai would be more involved (Persona 4 on Toonami. Nuff said...). Durarara was a great fit for [adult swim] and Madoka is currently on ABC2 in Australia.

At least they have Durarara on iTunes for a decent price. If they put EVERYTHING for sale on iTunes (or available for streaming on Netflix and/or in English on Hulu), they'd be just fine in my books.

superdry wrote:

Hyperbole much? Thousands? Very, very, very few series approach that mark. Majority of 1 and 2-cour series cost less than $1000 to buy.

I was giving the full price range. Wink Notice I said "even".
unicron02

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:22 am Reply with quote
Not sure if this has been pointed out yet, but the article stated that, "character designer Hiroyuki Oda is once again adapting Hiro Kanzaki's original novel illustrations...". This is a bit of misinformation as Hiroyuki Oda and Hiro Kanzaki are the same person. He goes by Hiroyuki Oda when being credited as an animator or producing music (also goes by 鼻そうめんP - Hana Soumen P) and as Hiro Kanzaki (or his circle name TabGraphics) when doing illustrations.

In fact the ANN page for Hiro Kanzaki even shows that they are the same person person#54205.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Surprised they're using CR and not Daisuki since I believe Aniplex/Sony is a backer of it.

it will be probably on both. Aniplex like to put their anime on alot of websites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3