• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyopop to Debut America's Greatest Otaku on Hulu

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
This is so disgusting in so many levels...
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
I'm not really sure WHAT to think of this....

Shocked
Sutori

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
I think this is great ^^ I'd love to see a documentary on the lives of different otaku in the US.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
My eyes, they BLEED!!!!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
A CEO of a fairly large company interviewing it's potential clientele? Sounds like a foreign concept, but the weirdness this series could harness is unlimited. It could be a good learning experience or generally really, really creepy.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:55 am Reply with quote
So this being like the otaku on MTV? Laughing
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
God, I had heard about this a while back but I didn't think Tokyopop would actually go through with it. A BS corporate reality competition show to determine who is the greatest "otaku", sounds like a plan. Yeah lets look to the company that claimed manga could be made in the U.S., to sell their crappy oel comics, to help us define with a true otaku is.

Honestly if the winner isn't Patrick Macias then the contest is obviously flawed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zi_c_na

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:10 am Reply with quote
you know what the worst part is and what i'm super annoyed and pissed off about. If they are looking for the usa's 'greatest' otaku could they at least pronouce the word 'otaku' correctly? its a disgrace that they claim to be otaku yet can't even pronouce a simple japanese word correctly, if it was about a hard to pronouce word i'd be like ok i understand if they try but seriously beside's this competition showcase the worst of the worst in this culture they can't even pronouce otaku correctly. All these guys just seem to be fans off whats avalible in america and most likely never watched a subbed verison ( not fansub proper sub) and it doesn't seem to credit the fact thats it japanese and much as it should have. They are bascially making a really bad american sterotype which can also = a world wide sterotype, not like its that good atm but i'm afraid this is gonna make our image as normal people go out the door, cause u know most massive fans of anime who consider themselves otaku are actually quite normal and socialize in non anime circles and blah what ever you get my point. I don't like the people they are showcasing its just gonna give us a worst image and please learn to pronouce basic japanese correctly, i feel its disrespectful to them.
/ end rant
casenumber00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quote
haters gonna hate
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:50 am Reply with quote
Zi_c_na wrote:
you know what the worst part is and what i'm super annoyed and pissed off about. If they are looking for the usa's 'greatest' otaku could they at least pronouce the word 'otaku' correctly? its a disgrace that they claim to be otaku yet can't even pronouce a simple japanese word correctly, if it was about a hard to pronouce word i'd be like ok i understand if they try but seriously beside's this competition showcase the worst of the worst in this culture they can't even pronouce otaku correctly. All these guys just seem to be fans off whats avalible in america and most likely never watched a subbed verison ( not fansub proper sub) and it doesn't seem to credit the fact thats it japanese and much as it should have. They are bascially making a really bad american sterotype which can also = a world wide sterotype, not like its that good atm but i'm afraid this is gonna make our image as normal people go out the door, cause u know most massive fans of anime who consider themselves otaku are actually quite normal and socialize in non anime circles and blah what ever you get my point. I don't like the people they are showcasing its just gonna give us a worst image and please learn to pronouce basic japanese correctly, i feel its disrespectful to them.
/ end rant

I'm kinda trying to agree with you, but please learn to use basic punctuation marks. It's giving American otaku a bad stereotype and is disrespectful to the English language. Smile

Mushi-Man wrote:

Honestly if the winner isn't Patrick Macias then the contest is obviously flawed.

The late Steve Pearl FTW. Laughing

"In 1995, former Gainax president Toshio Okada, who is known in Japan as the Otaking, met Pearl at the Anime East convention. Okada then bestowed on him the title of the American Otaking."
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote
Man, why would you want to be "America's greatest otaku"? The word may not carry the same connotations to Americans as it does to the Japanese, but... just... ugh.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quote
RATS! I missed it. Sad I wonder if TP'll change their mind if I send them my TRSI and RACS orders... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
Meh. Like I said before: this is going to be hilarious. The trick is to not identify yourself with the participants and just revel in the schadenfreude.
sepherest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
That's a pretty disappointing prize pack for winning. Most real Otaku would avoid this like the plague.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
This is just embarrassing.

Why hasn't Stu Levy been kicked out of Tokyopop yet? He's squandering their money when they're on the brink of going under.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3