• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Little Busters! Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
This review is rather late. Been sitting in the in-tray for three months or something?

I had to drop Little Busters! after the Haruka route (eighteen episodes). It's the typical Maeda BS fake emotions designed to get the tears flowing but only had my eyes rolling like flywheels as they tried to deal with the utterly stupid storylines. The logic the arcs base themselves off cannot even be charitably described as "flimsy", because they are just that braindead. Haruka's was the worst, but the others weren't too hot either. All storylines in fiction are manipulative to some degree, but with Key the goal seems to be pure emotional manipulation rather than telling a good story. It's what hurt Angel Beats! and Clannad After Story, and it's what killed Little Busters! for me.
znxbcv2121

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I think what many people didn't realize before having any kind of expectation towards LB! is that Maeda didn't have any hands on majority of LB!'s writing; he only wrote the Common route and the Refrain arc.

All individual character routes were written by relative newcomers, adding to the initially incoherent stories that became the VN's major shortcoming. I think that most of us can agree on that the character routes of LB! weren't up to par with majority of other Key/Maeda works.

Edit: That being said, I do agree that the anime version did really disappoint me, especially because I've been waiting for it for years. The comedic moments in the VN weren't as funny, and even the rather mediocre emotional moments weren't as emotional.

Edit2: Forgot that Maeda also wrote Rin and Saya routes, but same still stands for the others. Saya route was actually pretty good, in my opinion. Has anyone actually beat it with the 'true Saya ending' where she spoiler[replaces Kyousuke?]

Last edited by znxbcv2121 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Complaint number 1: It's funny that there's no comments about Yui Horie as Riki. It's not that I can't believe her as a guy, it's that I really can't hear her as a guy {Ok, at least she's good enough so I don't here Ayu Tsukimiya as a guy}. Miyuki Sawashiro and Yu Kobayashi can pull it off, Horie can't. It makes me feel like Little Busters! is a different kind of dating game. Also, he's no Tomoki or Yuichi; He's more an uninteresting slug. Isn't it telling the those two characters have more in common with Kyosuke than LBS! hero?

Complaint number 2: Narration. Yeah, don't need it. Kyoto Animation took a lot of it out of Clannad and Kanon through something called character animation. We don't need to to hear how our hero empathizes with the various heroines because we can see it.

3 I absoluely agree with Carl's comment's about Komari and her arc but I don't think the problem is not the actresses' performance as she did a great job in the ef series as the less traumatized yet far more troubled Chihiro. No, the problem is the character herself. She has no redeeming features as a human being outside of being sunny. To put it simply, it's amazing she can even find food and you want to keep sharp utensils away from her. Hell, she makes Fuuko of Clannad seem like an actual high schooler. Yanase did the best she could with a big zero of a character.

4 Character designs. Yes, we have some animes that have high school students who look like adults and we have some who have them look like elementary kids. Pick one or the other, it works in middle school but by high school, half the class shouldn't be two feet taller than the other half.

Pros:

Kud. She'd be even better if she had a more acceptable/realistic character design but I like the fact that she doesn't have any real personality quirks/intelligence issues. She's really quite engaging, which should be the case for all the girls. Really, it's the point of the original game.

Rin, she's the other good character and I like how the show can differ how she moves and acts with just her friends, with strangers and with a mix.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
znxbcv2121 wrote:
I think what many people didn't realize before having any kind of expectation towards LB! is that Maeda didn't have any hands on majority of LB!'s writing; he only wrote the Common route and the Refrain arc.

All individual character routes were written by relative newcomers, adding to the initially incoherent stories that became the VN's major shortcoming. I think that most of us can agree on that the character routes of LB! weren't up to par with majority of other Key/Maeda works.

I should mention that Maeda also wrote Rin and Sayas routes.

But yeah, theres a lot of difference in the quality when it comes to the specific character routes. It goes from pretty bad (Komari and Kud) to acceptable (Kurugaya and Mio) to very good/great (Haruka and Rin).

All of the routes were looked over and quality controlled by Maeda to make sure that they all fit the same story and there aren't inconsistencies, so its not like they just all did their own random thing though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
It would be a shame if this were your first Key anime and you believed the KyoAni adaptations to be as bland and uninspired. I'm rotten spoiled on how well those came out, and this isn't special at all, and I absolutely hold that feeling against it. Even if every work is supposed to stand on its own, my opinions won't.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
I am going to have to ask what the review feels looks like cheap animation because the animation in the opening is poor, especially the final segment where it takes 7 SECONDS for everyone to gather together. it looks like someone took the show and reduced it down to 12 frames per second from 24 or 30 frames per second. it looks super cheap, it's in the opening, it has no background art, it looks like trash especially if you are looking at riki or rin.

Um...nearly ALL animation is done at 12 FPS or 8FPS. Only movies ever even reach 24FPS (no animation goes at 30FPS as far as I know) and even then that's usually for the "big" scenes.

then you can make that 3 or 4 frames per second. it would make a lot more sense, since I can see the inbetween animation for riki when his eyes open. and I think inbetween animation is non existent when the girls and everyone else pretty much falls upon riki.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I only got two episodes into this one, it seemed to have nothing whatsoever I liked about it. Not bad exactly, but just nothing good. I covered a bit more ground in the visual novel, and it wasn't the adaptation's fault - I just didn't like the story or characters or especially the humour.
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
As a KEY fan and VN player I find this anime to be decent. The obvious production values is a massive hit for this series. as the mood was brought on (I found anyway) in the highly detailed art style, coloring and scenes. However the anime is enjoyable to watch at any rate.

Coming in as a game player Komari route was the weakest for me as well. Kud's was meh. I enjoyed Mio, Haruka and Rin's the best from the main girl routes. I haven't played EX Kud which expanded much better on her story so I will wait to see how the anime does it for them.

Most of all I can't wait for Refrain route and to see if the anime can fix/expand on some things that should have been shown in the game. I really loved Refrain, but their were some things I REALLY hope the anime does.

Those skeptical of this show the best is yet to come. It is going to be the second half, naturally Smile
dtm42 wrote:
This review is rather late. Been sitting in the in-tray for three months or something?

I had to drop Little Busters! after the Haruka route (eighteen episodes). It's the typical Maeda BS fake emotions designed to get the tears flowing but only had my eyes rolling like flywheels as they tried to deal with the utterly stupid storylines. The logic the arcs base themselves off cannot even be charitably described as "flimsy", because they are just that braindead. Haruka's was the worst, but the others weren't too hot either. All storylines in fiction are manipulative to some degree, but with Key the goal seems to be pure emotional manipulation rather than telling a good story. It's what hurt Angel Beats! and Clannad After Story, and it's what killed Little Busters! for me.
What hurt Angel Beats was the rushed way of compressing that story into 12 episodes. As for After Story there was a lack of certain points being properly translated from game to anime. They do know how to tell stories, some are in fact excellent stories, others not so much. It is obvious you are only exposed to the anime versions so do not even talk about Maeda's work.

Last edited by grooven on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
GiriOni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Watched about 5ish episodes of this before switching to the VN. Cried. Tried to watch the anime again... got bored.

Well to be honest it isn't as annoying as DC2 anime... read the VN, loved it, went to watch the first episode... characters' amazing voices are now replaced from the original, and Koko... damnit! SHE'S OUT OF CHARACTER!!!!

Sorry... DC2 and Tsukihime animes are bad for my blood pressure... oh... now I just remembered Umineko's anime... why god, WHY?

DC3 is doing pretty great, and Kiyotaka's voice is... smexy. So no gripes there, DC1 did pretty great as well.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
It is obvious you are only exposed to the anime versions so do not even talk about Maeda's work.

The stories are Maeda's work. Duh. So of course I'm going to talk about them.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It is obvious you are only exposed to the anime versions so do not even talk about Maeda's work.

I don't care how good Maeda is at writing, he, like all other writers, is not exempt from criticism.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:04 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

It's because Crunchyroll didn't add the initial episodes until about 3 weeks ago, after acquiring the license back at the end of January.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

I don't care how good Maeda is at writing, he, like all other writers, is not exempt from criticism.

You're criticizing Maeda even though someone else screwed up the story he wrote. Maeda isn't the person doing the series composition or screen play for the anime... they are only taking the story he wrote and trying to put it into anime form, while removing many parts to fit the limited timeframe the anime has while also changing the story around themselves to take out the romance and trying to connect all the routes together as one mega route instead of restarting the game like in the VN.

Its basically a butchered version of his original story.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote
^
Maeda still came up with the original story of Little Busters!, and the Anime has his fingerprints all over it in terms of tone, plot and characters. It definitely feels like a Maeda/Key work, and that's not a good thing. Maybe J.C. Staff did butcher the adaptation, but I do feel that Maeda still is partly - if not mostly - to blame for why I did not like the show and thought it to be very poor.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:43 am Reply with quote
I've figured out that the reason KyoAni passed on Little Busters is because it isn't very good
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4