• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Little Busters! Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:06 am Reply with quote
That doesn't sound like Kyoto Animation to me.
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:16 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Maeda still came up with the original story of Little Busters!, and the Anime has his fingerprints all over it in terms of tone, plot and characters. It definitely feels like a Maeda/Key work, and that's not a good thing. Maybe J.C. Staff did butcher the adaptation, but I do feel that Maeda still is partly - if not mostly - to blame for why I did not like the show and thought it to be very poor.

So because it definitely feels like a Maeda/Key work, and that's not a good thing? Than it's definitely not your type of work you like.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:26 am Reply with quote
^
I was referring to the inherent plot holes, characters who are defined more by the sounds they make than anything else, and lack of emotional honesty. Some people dig those sorts of things. That's their right to do so and I respect that. But to me, no thanks.
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised you all managed to get even two episodes into this show. I dropped it after episode one because it just felt so generic and uninteresting.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I've figured out that the reason KyoAni passed on Little Busters is because it isn't very good

Have you read the source material, because if not then I suggest that you don't talk like an egomanic.
If you saw an adaptation of something you can only make definite comments on the adaptation, because you have no clue what the source material was like.
unless you are claiming that KyoAni looked into the future and saw jc staffs version and thought they could not do much better and let JC staff do it and went on to do tamako market instead which is just as good as the little busters anime, and both of them are worse then the pet girl of sakurasou.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
The first half of the anime is quite awful. So I'm in full agreement with the review. I'm only enjoying it because I already read the source material and it's good to see certain parts from the game animated (albeit poorly).
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Have you read the source material, because if not then I suggest that you don't talk like an egomanic.

I'm willing to grant the VN is probably better, but many of the issues I have are present in the source material, and not the fault of the adaption. (such as, for example, Kud's route being brain meltingly idiotic)
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Never trust a JC Staff VN adaption.

I was kinda like you Fencedude in thinking that Tsukihime was terrible since JC Staffs anime adaption was really bad. How wrong I was when I tried the VN.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

I was kinda like you Fencedude in thinking that Tsukihime was terrible since JC Staffs anime adaption was really bad. How wrong I was when I tried the VN.

With no uses of seafood as a metaphor for a girl's vagina, there was no way the Tsukihime anime could ever have lived up to the game.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

With no uses of seafood as a metaphor for a girl's vagina, there was no way the Tsukihime anime could ever have lived up to the game.

Man, Nasu CANNOT write sex scenes. I remember getting to the first one in FS/N and remarking how bad it was.
gerbilx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm extremely fond of the adaption for one particular reason: the expansion of the theme of friendship. Because no girl's story is an "ending" in and of itself, the entire cast can help her out. For example, in the VN, only Riki went with Komari to the retirement home. In the anime, everyone goes with her, which makes much more sense considering that friendship is to LB as family is to Clannad.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Man, Nasu CANNOT write sex scenes. I remember getting to the first one in FS/N and remarking how bad it was.

Then why does he need to write them (rhetorical question)
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The show never looks worse than medium-nice, but it cannot summon the kind of ravishing loneliness that Kyoto Animation cultivated for its Key adaptations...
Quote:
...ravishing loneliness...

Is that supposed to be "ravishing loveliness"?
Juhachi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I'm willing to grant the VN is probably better, but many of the issues I have are present in the source material, and not the fault of the adaption. (such as, for example, Kud's route being brain meltingly idiotic)

All I'll say is, don't judge LB based on the horrible anime adaptation, since it can't even hold a candle next to the VN, especially the final arc Refrain which was amazing. Obviously, being long and more detailed, the VN has more characterization, especially Kud, who seems so bland in the anime compared to the VN. Ever wonder why Kud wear's that hairpin shaped like a bat? Read the VN.

The anime is, in the end, something I feel fans of the VN will somewhat enjoy in seeing favorite scenes animated, and it seems like this is exactly what JC was trying to capitalize on: that the otaku fans of the original game would buy the anime regardless of how badly it was done, so they knew they didn't really have to try that hard and they'd still get a decent profit, even more so considering that they didn't put in more money in the anime, maximizing profits.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
Juhachi wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

All I'll say is, don't judge LB based on the horrible anime adaptation, since it can't even hold a candle next to the VN, especially the final arc Refrain which was amazing. Obviously, being long and more detailed, the VN has more characterization, especially Kud, who seems so bland in the anime compared to the VN. Ever wonder why Kud wear's that hairpin shaped like a bat? Read the VN.

The anime is, in the end, something I feel fans of the VN will somewhat enjoy in seeing favorite scenes animated, and it seems like this is exactly what JC was trying to capitalize on: that the otaku fans of the original game would buy the anime regardless of how badly it was done, so they knew they didn't really have to try that hard and they'd still get a decent profit, even more so considering that they didn't put in more money in the anime, maximizing profits.

^this, I would absolutely agree with this. that is what makes it really sad that the production committee doesn't seem to be doing it's job in growing the anime, instead they seem to be demanding every nickel and dime they can get out of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4