• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Little Busters! Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
I was referring to the inherent plot holes, characters who are defined more by the sounds they make than anything else, and lack of emotional honesty. Some people dig those sorts of things. That's their right to do so and I respect that. But to me, no thanks.

Hmm I'm not as serious as you when it comes to my criteria of TV series and movies. As long as it's good and done well, (regardless of the direction of the director and writer) I'll watch it.
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:19 am Reply with quote
The whole point was that the anime wasn't done well. (Also, Little Busters! isn't good, but that's just my opinion.)
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
The whole point was that the anime wasn't done well. (Also, Little Busters! isn't good, but that's just my opinion.)

and you are entitled to that opinion. I would suggest to everyone that if you think a VN anime is bad and it should be good, then check to see if it is a good adaptation to begin with since very few anime actually manage to do a good adaptation.
Yerld

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

^this, I would absolutely agree with this. that is what makes it really sad that the production committee doesn't seem to be doing it's job in growing the anime, instead they seem to be demanding every nickel and dime they can get out of it.

As discussed elsewhere, that's the nature of a VN adaptation, which is why the majority are so lacklustre. There's little potential for franchise growth (and LB! itself already went through the typical life cycle - game, manga, CDs, console ports, etc. - years ago!) and little interest from the large manga/book publishers that carry the anime industry, so how can they attract much investment? Heck, even Pony Canyon/KyoAni decided that they had better things to do with their time and money.

As for the LB! anime, it's well above average by VN adaptation standards. This isn't a great feat, but its important to understand the context and circumstances surrounding these types of projects. Warner's offer probably beat any of the others by several miles, constrained as it might be.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Yerld wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

^this, I would absolutely agree with this. that is what makes it really sad that the production committee doesn't seem to be doing it's job in growing the anime, instead they seem to be demanding every nickel and dime they can get out of it.

As discussed elsewhere, that's the nature of a VN adaptation, which is why the majority are so lacklustre. There's little potential for franchise growth (and LB! itself already went through the typical life cycle - game, manga, CDs, console ports, etc. - years ago!) and little interest from the large manga/book publishers that carry the anime industry, so how can they attract much investment? Heck, even Pony Canyon/KyoAni decided that they had better things to do with their time and money.

As for the LB! anime, it's well above average by VN adaptation standards. This isn't a great feat, but its important to understand the context and circumstances surrounding these types of projects. Warner's offer probably beat any of the others by several miles, constrained as it might be.

That is why they got a director who had no projects that were critically or popularly liked, give it little animation budget, charge a ton for the simulcast until they came down in price halfway through the show, didn't care about personalities of the characters to much and said someone like him would say muscles every 3 or 4 words. not to mention the necessary pacing changes to make it work for tv.
Yerld

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:51 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
That is why they got a director who had no projects that were critically or popularly liked, give it little animation budget, charge a ton for the simulcast until they came down in price halfway through the show

A C-grade proposition still beats a D or E that competitors may have pitched. The people at Key aren't stupid. It took them nearly five years to close an acceptable deal, and they turned down numerous offers.

For anime producers, the opportunity cost is huge. LB! ties up 4-cours that could be spent bankrolling their own properties (what Aniplex and KyoAni currently see as a high priority) or appeasing the powerful benefactors at Kadokawa/Dengeki/MediaFactory, Square Enix, large TV stations, etc. (from a business perspective, the raison d'etre for an anime producer). It probably wasn't easy for Kohei Kawase to convince Warner brass that four cours of LB! was the best goal for the company.

Kawase's grumpiness over 11,000 copies being sold, along with the delayed simulcast and shoestring episode budget, are possibly signs of how much profit producers want to offset lost opportunity.

As for Key, they'll take the best offer available. Right now, they're waiting on Rewrite.....
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:57 am Reply with quote
Yerld wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
That is why they got a director who had no projects that were critically or popularly liked, give it little animation budget, charge a ton for the simulcast until they came down in price halfway through the show

A C-grade proposition still beats a D or E that competitors may have pitched. The people at Key aren't stupid. It took them nearly five years to close an acceptable deal, and they turned down numerous offers.

For anime producers, the opportunity cost is huge. LB! ties up 4-cours that could be spent bankrolling their own properties (what Aniplex and KyoAni currently see as a high priority) or appeasing the powerful benefactors at Kadokawa/Dengeki/MediaFactory, Square Enix, large TV stations, etc. (from a business perspective, the raison d'etre for an anime producer). It probably wasn't easy for Kohei Kawase to convince Warner brass that four cours of LB! was the best goal for the company.

Kawase's grumpiness over 11,000 copies being sold, along with the delayed simulcast and shoestring episode budget, are possibly signs of how much profit producers want to offset lost opportunity.

As for Key, they'll take the best offer available. Right now, they're waiting on Rewrite.....

This is a key show and it is considered by many to be their best work. so why would they assume that it is going to end badly. Yes 4 cours is a lot to ask for now a days. however it can make them a huge return if done right. LB is a property that could easily make tons of money for them. They know this and are cashing in on the sure thing with reputation and name recognition. most studios would kill for a key property to put them on the map and show off what they can do, like kyo ani did years ago (and probably don't want to do again because they are having to much fun with 13 and 26 episode and done series or swiming bishonen). but that is not all that is happening here. there are many major directors who could have done it. these seasons don't have to be consecutive. many shows are now doing the do a season take one off model. I mean lets be honest her 4 is not that big a deal it was not that long ago when most anime shows were 2 cour and it was not horribly uncommon for a series to go for 50 or 100 episodes.
Yerld

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

This is a key show and it is considered by many to be their best work. so why would they assume that it is going to end badly.

Financing structure has nothing to do with such an assumption. During Key's seminar in 2011, anime industry reps all acknowledged that Little Busters was a huge hit and that it was astonishing that no one had made an anime yet. However, when Key questioned them on why this might be the case, they became evasive.

King Records dodged the question with a joke. Aniplex argued that Key rejected them (producer's calculations centered around 13 episodes, plus he said that Key didn't like the studio he proposed). Warner Bros. said that money was probably the issue.

They all knew that a LB anime would succeed. However, certain circumstances were making it difficult for them to jump in......

Quote:
however it can make them a huge return if done right. LB is a property that could easily make tons of money for them.

Everyone knows that, including those who either opted out of a pitch, rejected Key's overtures, or were rejected themselves.

Quote:
most studios would kill for a key property to put them on the map and show off what they can do, like kyo ani did years ago

None of the major studios give a damn about VN adaptations, big hit or not. Little Busters isn't the only smash success out there.

The little ones don't have the chops to do anything great, nor do they have the staff, workflow system, or connections to produce so many episodes. If they did, they'd already be on the map, with or without a Key property.

Quote:
(and probably don't want to do again because they are having to much fun with 13 and 26 episode and done series or swiming bishonen).

Nope, they're committed to the goals of Kadokawa, Pony Canyon, and their own company. At the end of the day, Key is too small of a player to matter.

Appease the power benefactors (who will demand shows on their schedules). Experiment with your original properties, which will really make you rich if they take off.

Quote:
there are many major directors who could have done it.

Depends. Major directors are more picky about

a) pay (reputable directors negotiate for more)
b) production budget (too small and it reflects poorly on them)
c) schedule (too rushed and it's both a huge headache and quality diminisher)

If conditions suck, a committee can only hire inexperienced or second-rate directors who have nothing to lose.

Some have made careers out of this. For example, Nagisa Miyazaki earned serious cred by tackling Da Capo (conditions so bad that no one wanted to take it) and producing a mild hit. Eiichi Sato was hailed a studio savior via Kissdum and Basquash.

Quote:
these seasons don't have to be consecutive. many shows are now doing the do a season take one off model. I mean lets be honest her 4 is not that big a deal it was not that long ago when most anime shows were 2 cour and it was not horribly uncommon for a series to go for 50 or 100 episodes.

A total of four cours wouldn't be such a big deal with the right client (major clients = long-term meal ticket. Kiss up to them first), adequate sponsorship, and a means of backing out midway.

On the other hand, guaranteeing 4 cours come hell or high water is a huge deal, especially when a company must shoulder most of the risk on its own instead of spreading it across multiple partners. We aren't talking prime-time anime here, in which a TV station pays for the show and recoups the costs through advertising (that's your 50-100 episode series).

With late night anime, producers will usually wrap everything up within 12-24 episodes (guaranteed completion), or take the wait and see approach. Try 13 episodes first, then make more if it's worthwhile.

The Little Busters arrangement seems like a compromise in light of the risk and required commitment. Warner greenlit four cours, but it's at the cost of lower episodic budget.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Yerld wrote:
The Little Busters arrangement seems like a compromise in light of the risk and required commitment. Warner greenlit four cours, but it's at the cost of lower episodic budget.

Thats probably the best we could have hoped for.

I wouldn't really of been happier with the other options... 13 episodes with a good budget and staff would just remove so much stuff and even if you remove all the character routes and wouldn't have been enough for Refrain.

Even at 26 episodes, at best you're going to get common route and Refrain while removing all the character routes, so you're left with an incomplete adaption.

It might not be ideal, but I'd take lesser staff and budget if it means the entire thing gets adapted. Its enough for me just to see my favorite VN get fully animated, I don't need all the bells and whistles.

Thats the problem when you have an absolutely massive VN like this. Its tough to get it greenlight to adapt the whole thing... most VNs just go with the MajiKoi or Mashiro route where they just do one route. In the end, Little Busters IS one of the best VN adaptions of all time still since they are actually adapting the entire thing instead of just a small part of it.
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:44 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

I wouldn't really of been happier with the other options... 13 episodes with a good budget and staff would just remove so much stuff and even if you remove all the character routes and wouldn't have been enough for Refrain.

Even at 26 episodes, at best you're going to get common route and Refrain while removing all the character routes, so you're left with an incomplete adaption.

It might not be ideal, but I'd take lesser staff and budget if it means the entire thing gets adapted. Its enough for me just to see my favorite VN get fully animated, I don't need all the bells and whistles.

Thats the problem when you have an absolutely massive VN like this. Its tough to get it greenlight to adapt the whole thing... most VNs just go with the MajiKoi or Mashiro route where they just do one route. In the end, Little Busters IS one of the best VN adaptions of all time still since they are actually adapting the entire thing instead of just a small part of it.

I haven't watched the anime yet so glad there's some good remarks about it.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

I haven't watched the anime yet so glad there's some good remarks about it.

The best comment and popular opinion is just read the visual novel instead if what I have been reading is accurate
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

This sounds like my problem with Fate/Stay Night and Clannad - choosing to please the fans of the VN over making a decent story out of a multiroute VN.

The problem with Little Busters runs a little deeper than that {I'm stuck at six episodes with little interest in continuing}.

What's the deal breaker here? Kanon is about first love, Air is about mother-daughter relationships and Clannad is about family. Little Busters is about friendship.

Except it's not. How are these people friends? How in the world could they as an insular group attract new members, and even ignoring the fact they're all girls, how the hell do we get experiences of "Hey, who are you?" again and again? Kud's a transfer student but the rest are all in the same class! {For the record, Yuichi's an amnesiac newcomer, Yukito's a complete stranger and Tomoya's a natural loner}

"This girl lunches on the roof, I never knew that!"
"I've never seen that girl who sits in that desk since she never shows up for school. Like ever!"
"That wierd girl who likes books and carry around an umbrella? She's wierd, right? That's all I know, we never talk!"

It must have quite a good ending... endings?... because the beginning is complete crap. "Hold on, it gets better, wait and see so and so's route!" is the right course? So it's like beautiful ornaments on a sickly christmas tree? What good is that, I can still see the dead tree behind them!

The truth is, is this wasn't directly from Key, it would either be considered a cheap knockoff or a parody.

Last word on LB!?
Uugu...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
It's the exact same general circumstance as Clannad (hell Tomoya is far more outgoing than Riki is) so that is an incredibly bizarre qualm to have if you were so accepting of it in Clannad. Also, Haruka is not in the same class.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I am going to have to ask what the review feels looks like cheap animation because the animation in the opening is poor, especially the final segment where it takes 7 SECONDS for everyone to gather together. it looks like someone took the show and reduced it down to 12 frames per second from 24 or 30 frames per second. it looks super cheap, it's in the opening, it has no background art, it looks like trash especially if you are looking at riki or rin.

I meant to come back here after I next watched an episode but forgot.
The final cut of the OP is in slo-mo, like multiple other parts of the OP. They play around with motion all through the OP. They even visible ramp up the "film speed" in the bit with Sasami and her groupies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4