• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Live-action VOLTRON (Go Lion) in development.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote
From ComingSoon.net:

Quote:
Voltron Assembles for the Big Screen

Source: The Hollywood Reporter
July 26, 2005

Veteran producer Mark Gordon has teamed with music producer Pharrell Williams, World Events Productions and producers Mark Costa and Ford Oelman to make a big-budget feature of Voltron: Defender of the Universe, the 1980s giant robot kids TV series and toy sensation.

The story being developed will be based on the series about five maverick explorer-pilots who must travel to the planet Arus to learn how to operate Voltron, a giant mechanical warrior formed by five smaller robots.

Released in 1984, Voltron: Defender of the Universe quickly skyrocketed to be the number one children's program in the United States. Merchandising rapidly followed and more than 100 different Voltron products were on shelves around the world.

You can learn more about "Voltron" at the official website.

Before you get too excited, this appears to be the same general deal as live-action Evangelion in that it's a project driven by the domestic distributor, and whether or not it actually gets made will depend on whether or not they can get a studio interested in backing the project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I hope it won't have to compete with the imaginary live-action Transformers.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Live-action Transformers already has all the pieces in place to actually be made (studio financing, director, producer, even a "prime" release date, July 4th, 2007).

I'm not saying that nothing can possibly happen that will delay or cancel the production before the preproduction shifts into high gear over the next several months, but, if Dreamworks and Hasbro are already advertising the release date and showing off very early promotional concepts at conventions, it does indicate the solid foundations are in place to make the concept a reality, foundations that the Voltron project, and practically all the other announced Hollywood live-action anime projects save for, perhaps, Speed Racer and Monster, lack at this point in time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1