• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voltron Hollywood Movie

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:03 am Reply with quote
(I'll cut-and-paste what I wrote in the thread I started yesterday about this.)

Before you get too excited, this appears to be the same general deal as live-action Evangelion in that it's a project driven by the domestic distributor, and whether or not it actually gets made will depend on whether or not they can get a studio interested in backing the project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
space clam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:10 am Reply with quote
The article wrote:
The Hollywood Reporter reports that Producer Mark Gordon ("The Day After Tomorrow") is working on a big-budget theatrical adaptation of Voltron: Defender of the Universe. Hollywood Reporter does not specify any time frame for the release, nor whether the movie is live-action, CG, animation or some mixture thereof. No director is named either. Thanks to Anthony Cruz for this item.

Spelling corrections bolded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
LeSomeGuy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quote
NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whenever they try to make a sequel, prequel, or a remake of a classic, they always (actually, it's more like 90% of the time) massed it up and distort the original storyline and personalities.

So far, I haven't seem more than 10 films of such a style is actually successful.
bluechibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
If they dont know it's a Live Action movie then why call it that in the news title :S

Possible Voltron Live Action, more like it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:35 pm Reply with quote
bluechibi wrote:
If they don't know it's a Live Action movie then why call it that in the news title :S

Ahh, crap, I had intened to change that before posting it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
BTW, if you check Gordon's IMDB credits, he's also involved on the live-action Kiki.
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:24 pm Reply with quote
This should be interesting.... Laughing
Fenrir

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050726g.php

""Voltron: Defender of the Universe" is coming to the big screen according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Veteran producer Mark Gordon has teamed with music producer Pharrell Williams, World Events Prods. and producers Mark Costa and Ford Oelman to make a big-budget feature of the 1980s giant robot kids TV series and toy sensation. The World Events "Voltron" animated TV series debuted in 1984, about at the same time as Hasbro's Transformers toy line, igniting a morphing robot phenomenon.

The story being developed will be based on the 1980s series about five maverick explorer-pilots who must travel to the planet Arus to learn how to operate Voltron, a giant mechanical warrior formed by five smaller robots.

Thanks to 'Roberta'.

This is either gonna be hella cool or really stupid.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Fenrir wrote:
This is either gonna be hella cool or really stupid.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with the latter. Not that Pharrell isn't a talented producer and all, but really... SERIOUSLY? He allways has to make a cameo appearence in every video too. Who's he gonna be, Pidge's step-brother? I mean, I've loved Voltron since I was a little tyke, but HONESTLY - this has got about a snowball's chance in hell of making it.
I don't understand why somebody like Pharrell would want to ruin all us 20-something's fond memories of this franchise. If he likes anime that much, he should have just gotten involved in the localization of Samurai Champloo. At least it would have been harder for him to screw something up that way, and if he really did, we can just turn the subs on.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
When America starts creating flims based on anime.

Well, the show was popular enough that it spawed that CGI series that featured some of the original cast. The series has now become a part of our childhood pastimes. Smile

I'm curious to see it but at the same time my head shakes, "why?" Rolling Eyes

But hell, surely everyone remembers the 'Power Rangers' movie? It's one way to capitalize off something to a new generation. A newer younger generation.

Now I'm just waiting for a 'Thundercats' movie or new TV show. Surely someone is thinking about it. Laughing
Alucard27

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Dunno how this is gonna work out. Voltron was the one show that got me permanently hooked on anime, and if the series is done justice, then I won't mind it at all. However, if it turns into a total hackjob, then I'll have to watch the original episodes again so I can point out every last flaw, lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1