• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Tatami Galaxy Episodes 1-4 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Really?! Wow, it looked pretty bizarre to me! Bizarre enough to not denote excessive mental energy to discipher it.

An A for story? Carlo, you haven't gave such a high story rating since Shonen Onmyouji. And that was a B+!
Considering what Madhouse has made, and how bat$hit crazy their stories can produce (and still make sense), I guess there must be something of worth in Tatami.

What I'll do is watch the previous series' you've mentioned that he's directed, and go from there.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Be aware that Kemonozume features some really adult material. I highly disagree with Carlo's statement of it being a monster slaying feudal adventure, since the real meat has to do with the main character's perdition in his society and even as a human due to his lust for a certain woman/demon thing. Kaiba also has a good deal of adult material, particularly the strangest masturbation scene I've ever watched... so just be aware of that. I enjoyed both shows though, and I think Kaiba is just brilliant and a breath of fresh air in today's anime realm.

As far as Tatami Galaxy, I'm enjoying it. I think the 'deja vu' moments are particularly well done and at least haven't gotten annoying yet. The fourth episode though fell pretty flat. I think it's just because I don't understand the college culture in Japan. The idea of a student having a "disciple" is just rather strange and, though I got the whole spoiler[perpetual (and pointless) war], I thought it wasn't quite as a hopeless position for the main character for time to start over as in other episodes.

Anyway, time to watch the 5th episode.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The idea of a student having a "disciple" is just rather strange

Since I have not seen the serious and thus am taking this out of context, two ideas:

1) An artisan school, or any other trade that would require an apprenticeship
2) The traditional Japanese sempai-kouhai relationship blown completely out of proportion.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

As far as Tatami Galaxy, I'm enjoying it. I think the 'deja vu' moments are particularly well done and at least haven't gotten annoying yet. The fourth episode though fell pretty flat. I think it's just because I don't understand the college culture in Japan. The idea of a student having a "disciple" is just rather strange and, though I got the whole spoiler[perpetual (and pointless) war], I thought it wasn't quite as a hopeless position for the main character for time to start over as in other episodes.

Are you kidding me? He was stuck in an unending war of childish pranks where his opponent was _Ozu_ (who promises to play nice and dirty, too). That's basically hell on earth.
I'd rather be thrown off a bridge than resign myself to a life never knowing what horrible plague Ozu will descend on me next.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Be aware that Kemonozume features some really adult material. I highly disagree with Carlo's statement of it being a monster slaying feudal adventure, since the real meat has to do with the main character's perdition in his society and even as a human due to his lust for a certain woman/demon thing.

Well it can't be more graphic than Elfen Lied, Futari Ecchi, and Girls Bravo! Or is it "weird" graphic like Kodomo no Jikan?

Either way, I think it won't be something I haven't seen.

Quote:
Kaiba also has a good deal of adult material, particularly the strangest masturbation scene I've ever watched... so just be aware of that.

Shocked ...Wow, uh, that's uh... surprising... Hopefully not as surprising as a certain famous scen in End of Evangelion...
But! ...if I can get entertainment value out of it, then it's, like Lelouch says: A means to an end.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:13 am Reply with quote
Carlo wrote:
This resulted in Kemonozume, which is really just a monster-slaying feudal adventure

That's a really odd thing to say. I guess that could be true in the most literal sense. It does feature monster slaying and 'adventure' is a pretty vague term. (Although as a simple matter of fact, it wasn't set in feudal times). You seem to be implying that one of it's faults is that it's really just a standard monster slaying adventure though. I really don't know how you'd arrive at that conclusion. There's very little actual fighting of monsters, especially after the first couple episodes. It's mostly about the relationship between the two main characters who've run away together (and thus ceased to fight monsters). There's also a lot about the running and control of the organization that does fight monsters (but them actually going out to fight is largely secondary). I guess in a sense that still makes it a 'monster-slaying' show. There's virtually no 'adventure' aspect to it though. I'd definitely call it a drama first and foremost. Although for that matter, it's so all over the place. It's greatest failing in my view is it's failure to form a particularly coherent narrative, let alone a standard one. Hence why I find it very odd that you would brush it off as such.

Otaking09 wrote:
Well it can't be more graphic than Elfen Lied, Futari Ecchi, and Girls Bravo! Or is it "weird" graphic like Kodomo no Jikan?

I can't profess to having seen any of those comparisons but it wouldn't hugely surprise me if it was. There's a lot of pretty graphic sex scenes. It's not actually explicit but it's pretty much as close as you can get without being explicit. There's plenty of violence as well and a ton of dismemberment. I suppose the whole thing is pretty stylized so in that regard it's not as bad. It's also definitely 'weird graphic' in some cases albeit not at all in the same way as a show like KNJ.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:43 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Quote:
Be aware that Kemonozume features some really adult material. I highly disagree with Carlo's statement of it being a monster slaying feudal adventure, since the real meat has to do with the main character's perdition in his society and even as a human due to his lust for a certain woman/demon thing.

Quote:
Kaiba also has a good deal of adult material, particularly the strangest masturbation scene I've ever watched... so just be aware of that.

Shocked ...Wow, uh, that's uh... surprising... Hopefully not as surprising as a certain famous scen in End of Evangelion...
But! ...if I can get entertainment value out of it, then it's, like Lelouch says: A means to an end.

No one said anything about graphic. They said "adult material". Masaaki Yuasa, when left to his own devices, makes some very mature stuff, that, while not necessarily graphic, is wholly disturbing. The "masturbation" scene in Kaiba, especially, is one where it's not necessarily the imagery that's disturbing, but the entire concept which just makes you go whiskey tango foxtrot.

On topic though, I'm loving Tatami. It's like "Groundhog Day" meets "Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei".
Zade

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:40 am Reply with quote
This show NEEDS to be dubbed. I'm getting tired of pausing the video. It doesn't even have to be good, just someone reading the text out loud so we don't have to deal with it... ugh. If it keeps up I'm certainly not gonna watch it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote
Oh come on,Carlo: surely if you can oversimplify something as weird as Kemonozume into "just a monster-slaying feudal adventure" (in spite of having minimal monster-slaying and taking place in the present era...) than you can oversimplify Kaiba into "an interstellar body-switching love story." Which is what it is, and I love it.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
Zade wrote:
This show NEEDS to be dubbed. I'm getting tired of pausing the video. It doesn't even have to be good, just someone reading the text out loud so we don't have to deal with it... ugh. If it keeps up I'm certainly not gonna watch it.

This show will never be dubbed. Either accept that and get used to the subs, or hire someone to read it to you Smile.

Well I suppose there's a very small chance Funimation dubs it for a DVD/blu-ray release, but considering the streaming numbers on youtube (~1000 views per episode, and that's for _free_ streaming) I can't see it making any money at all.

I suggest, honestly, that people watch each episode twice. There are are tons of little details to pick out in the animation that deserve a second viewing.
tailor31415

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

On topic though, I'm loving Tatami. It's like "Groundhog Day" meets "Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei".

I quite agree Smile I knew there was a movie that it reminded me of, and this is it!!!!
The lead's quick dialogues/commentary are the best part of the show, and so I doubt I would watch it if it ever were to get dubbed (but as samuelp said, very small chance of that happening) because they would be ruined!!!
go tatami Very Happy
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Well I suppose there's a very small chance Funimation dubs it for a DVD/blu-ray release, but considering the streaming numbers on youtube (~1000 views per episode, and that's for _free_ streaming) I can't see it making any money at all.

How does that compare to their other region locked streams e.g FMA:B
Actually looks fairly normal compared to the other shows on there. Even if I can't watch it I can still see the numbers.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Actually looks fairly normal compared to the other shows on there. Even if I can't watch it I can still see the numbers.

FMA seems to have settled around... 20,000 views
http://www.youtube.com/show/fullmetalalchemist

So that makes it _20_ times more popular.
If FMA sells 50,000 DVDs (Ha!) that'd mean TG would sell 2,500.
See the problem?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I would have loved to have gotten in to this, but the rapid fire dialogue (and thus the rapid fire subtitles) of the first episode simply defeated me. Maybe if it comes out on DVD and I can watch it at half speed (or slower)...
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Reaper gI wrote:
samuelp wrote:

FMA seems to have settled around... 20,000 views
http://www.youtube.com/show/fullmetalalchemist

So that makes it _20_ times more popular.
If FMA sells 50,000 DVDs (Ha!) that'd mean TG would sell 2,500.
See the problem?

3,405 Vs 727 isn't 20 times (that's looking at this weeks eps)
It's comparable to everything else they're putting up except FMA:B
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3