• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ninin Ga Shinobuden Licensed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, this should be even more interesting than the anime. (At least for me it will.)

*puts 2x2=Shinobuden on must-read list*
MrFreeman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:47 am Reply with quote
Interesting, I may have to look out for this. About the TV series though: Ninja Nonsense. OK, I know it says "The Nonsense Kunoichi Fiction" in the opening credits but that's no excuse for something that cringeworthy surely? I think I'll just stick to 2x2=Shinobuden....
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:22 am Reply with quote
MrFreeman wrote:
but that's no excuse for something that cringeworthy surely?

"Ninja Nonsense" is just another translation of the title's second half. It's as valid as anything, even if it is cheesy. And besides, people would be more willing to buy something with "Ninja" in its title than a math problem. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:44 am Reply with quote
Especially a math problem that doesn't make sense in non-Japanese-speaking countries.

Meh. I'll probably always call it "Shinobuden" or "The Better Ninja Show"
That's right. Better Ninja Show, you stinkin Narutards XP
Demaar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Meh. I'll probably always call it "Shinobuden" or "The Better Ninja Show"
That's right. Better Ninja Show, you stinkin Narutards XP
Likewise... wonder why the hell they didn't just call it Shinobuden...
By the by, kind of silly to compare Naruto and Shinobuden, they're totally different concepts and genres.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MrFreeman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:02 am Reply with quote
Well, that may be right, but I still hate it. I guess I'll just have to resort to rushing around the shops. permanent marker in hand, manually editting any DVDs I see should that situation arise.

I'm just trying to imagine the big yellow Onsokomaru logo with "Ninja Nonsense" plastered across it.

As for people being more likely to buy this anime if it has the word 'Ninja' in the title, I've already had a similar 'debate' around another anime series and it wasn't pretty so I shall not bother trying to repeat it. Smile
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait!

Yosh! 2X2 Shinobuden!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Once again they have to come up with half the title. Why the hell can't they keep it the way it is? Confused

Oh, well... I'll still be picking it up though. I guess they'll be releasing the DVDs next year too.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Once again they have to come up with half the title. Why the hell can't they keep it the way it is? Confused

Why the hell do people have to explain over and over again that the title is an erudite pun that doesn't make any sense for anyone who doesn't speak Japanese? Confused
dokool

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Why the hell do people have to explain over and over again that the title is an erudite pun that doesn't make any sense for anyone who doesn't speak Japanese? Confused

Why not just leave it the way it is and make a little note in the dvd booklet explaining it? I'm far from fluent in Japanese but I'll still take "2x2=Shinobuden" over "Ninja Nonsense" any day of the week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Understandable, but I'm sure that more than enough fans out there who don't speak Japanese are at least willing to learn more than what they are being offered. Granted the other half of the title is called 'Nonsense Ninja...' but at least try to get the main character's name into the title. This is just my opinion, but as I said before it doesn't mean I'm not going to purchase it because of a silly name change. Trust me I'm fully aware of this whole deal with changing names on titles. A lot longer than most. I was stumped because I just finished watching it and while noticing the title is in English a bit anyway, they come up with something this blatant.

dokool wrote:
Why not just leave it the way it is and make a little note in the dvd booklet explaining it? I'm far from fluent in Japanese but I'll still take "2x2=Shinobuden" over "Ninja Nonsense" any day of the week.

Agreed. Or they could have used something that would put the main character's name in it. But again it's about generalizing the title. Oh well, what can you do?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1