• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: From Up on Poppy Hill's English Dub Clip Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Not a whole lot to go on there.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
No, and what there is sounds like they're older than they're drawn to be. Not very encouraging that the rest will be any better, but here's to hoping.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I know it's not much to base on, but the characters sound in their 40's and about as dull as you can get.
Talk about bad promotion.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with the above comments. The characters don't sound like teenagers at all. These actors sound far too old. :/ It's already sounding a bit disappointing but as someone else said, here's to hopin.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
I know it's not much to base on, but the characters sound in their 40's and about as dull as you can get.
Talk about bad promotion.

I agree and they also should have previewed more of the main cast instead of just the girl. Excluding minor/bg characters the only voice we heard was hers. I can't say anything about the other characters, but I know from experience that there is always at least one voice I don't like. Hopefully it's just hers.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:13 am Reply with quote
Nah, ya guys just got too used listening to higher pitched girly voices (kinda like when you're outside having a snowball fight then suddenly put your hands in lukewarm water, that water feels like it's boiling............ yeah, we're having a snowstorm over here........ anyways.........) That doesn't sound like 40-yr-old. Our teen girl friends don't sound too different. Sounds like a young actress, which according to IMDB is an Irish actress who just turned 22.
super forsooth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
I think they sound fine, age-wise. I haven't really seen enough to give a real opinion on anything else, though.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
well, you can only hear like two lines in the clip, but the voice actually sounds pretty close to Umi's japanese voice. Masami Nagasawa doesn't have a high-pitched voice either.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
It is not that they sound too old but too flat. I know it is just a clip but wow that is some really boring voice acting.

Now I am going to hope for the sub version in a theater near me.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
It is not that they sound too old but too flat. I know it is just a clip but wow that is some really boring voice acting.

Now I am going to hope for the sub version in a theater near me.

Good luck even getting a dubbed version.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It's Studio Ghibli I am absolutely sure it will come to a theater near me. G-Kids might not distribute to as many theaters as Disney but so far all their films have played near me. It's not will but when.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It's Studio Ghibli I am absolutely sure it will come to a theater near me. G-Kids might not distribute to as many theaters as Disney but so far all their films have played near me. It's not will but when.

I highly doubt it will be that widespread. They sure have attached a lot of semi-big names to this movie, but I can't see it going to more than a couple hundred theaters tops. It's definitely not a film you take the five year old brats to so they can hopefully shut up for 90 minutes, more so than any other Ghiblis since Mononoke.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I highly doubt it will be that widespread. They sure have attached a lot of semi-big names to this movie, but I can't see it going to more than a couple hundred theaters tops. It's definitely not a film you take the five year old brats to so they can hopefully shut up for 90 minutes, more so than any other Ghiblis since Mononoke.

I live in a big city and pretty much all of G-Kids films have come here. I am not worried.

In fact I have more faith in G-Kids distribution then I do in say Funimation, Viz, or Aniplex.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
OK, she actually sounds lighter for most of the movie. She's just super deadpan matter-of-factly here since they skipped the funnier moments while they were going up the stairs. And she's trying to appear not to care (she doesn't want to be there, just doing it as a favor)............... or "desperate"................
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1