• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
cowraiser wrote:
Wow, that was amazing!

It is what i was looking for, thank you so much! Very Happy

You're welcome. The title came to me in a flash of inspiration.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Dessa wrote:
* DON'T take pictures of younger, female cosplayers. As harsh as it sounds, every year at Sakura-Con I hear complaints about "creepy old guys" trying to take pictures of younger girls. It doesn't matter if they're creepy or not, it doesn't matter if they're well-intentioned or not. EVERY older male (and by "older", I mean over 30, sadly) gets labelled as a "creepy old guy" if they are seen taking pictures of younger girls (and by "younger" I mean under 25). If you have someone else (younger) attending with you, have them approach and ask to take the picture. Don't ask anyone you don't know to take the picture, because then it still looks like you want the picture.

Huh. :roll: So if I fly to LA tomorrow to attend Anime Expo, I shall not take any picture of cosplayers as I would be labeled as a "creepy old guy" (yeah right, I'm over 30 already).

I've taken tens of thousands of pictures of female cosplayers aged from 14 to 30 and never have had a problem. Heck, I even befriended the father of a cosplayer; he's about 50 and is also a photographer, and in addition to taking pictures of her daughter and other cosplayers at the same age group (just graduated from high school this June), he even helps making cosplay costumes and accessories for his daughter! :lol:

I was giving this advice for someone who has never been to a convention before. I admin for Sakura-Con's forum, and I see many complaints about "creepy old guys" taking photos of younger girls, some of which are professional photographers who have press badges. He stated in his post that his friends ridicule him for liking anime, so if he wanted to avoid being "that creepy old guy", they were suggestions.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I was giving this advice for someone who has never been to a convention before. I admin for Sakura-Con's forum, and I see many complaints about "creepy old guys" taking photos of younger girls, some of which are professional photographers who have press badges.

Looks like another issue of cultural differences (shrug). According to you, American con attendees are somewhat similar to some panicked Japanese soccer moms, who'd report a single man standing on a train station platform to police ("He might be observing possible victims!"). I've only been AX once in 2004 so I honestly don't know how it goes in the US today, but here's some basic guidelines I learned:

1. Always ask for permission before taking any picture, unless the cosplayer is already surrounded by a wall of over a dozen photographers. In that case one should only take notice if those surrounding photographers are her private fan club members (I don't think such clubs exist in US, yet).

2. Be clean and tidy. No offense to fat guys, but if you are a long haired 300 lbs. guy wearing a bishojo T-shirt with smelly sweat stains and unshaven beard, don't expect any stranger to have a good first impression.

3. Bring your best equipment, but carry no more than two lens with you; lock the rest in a secure place if possible. If you have an external strobe flash, attach it to the hotshoe even if you're not going to use it. Believe it or not, girls do change their attitudes when they see high-end equipment. Rolling Eyes

4. If the situation allows for a brief conversation, show the photograph you took and offer her to own the picture, digital or in print. Leave the URL of your web album (Picasa, Flickr, Photobucket, etc.), website, or email, so if she wants the original file she could contact you via a safe route (I know cosplayers using doppelganger email accounts just for this purpose). Under no circumstance should a photographer ask for contacts of the cosplayer first; that would be considered harassing.

By the way, Fujifilm Pivi MP-300 is an excellent ice breaker. Wink

Dessa wrote:
He stated in his post that his friends ridicule him for liking anime, so if he wanted to avoid being "that creepy old guy", they were suggestions.

If your suggestions were specifically for him then I do agree with you. After all, Mr. Adams seems to be living in an environment not too friendly to foreign subcultures, and he seems to be unfamiliar with online communities (shown by signing true name and emails at the end of the post). As you said, bringing a younger friend/relative would be a great idea. After all, "You put your knife with a fork and a spoon and it looks quite innocuous." Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
RGaspar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote
Ok.

I apologize to be a combo breaker but I'd like to see if you can identify some anime for me.

It was something I've seen on TV, when I was like 10, these are the very few details I remember from it:

- I think it was a movie, that or the end of a series, because I only remember the ending (and dude, it was dramatic).

- The animation looked kinda old, so it was an anime from the 80s or very early 90s. Maybe even older.

- It has something to do with space, and spaceships. There was a main couple iirc (a guy and a girl) and a old man with moustache, which looked like a scientist (he was short, fat and bald, and his looks reminded me of Dr Robotnik from Sonic). They were flying these ships around what looked like planet Earth.

- I don't remember the plot before the finale, but everything seemed to be fine until some sort of alien parasite infested the people while on the ship (the "parasite" looked like sunny-side-up eggs! pasted in front of their heads), they started to act erratically and then....they freaking DIED!!! It was so shocking, specially because the Midget Dr Robotnik was a comic relief character, but even him passed away.

- The next thing I remember was a newborn baby appearing in the surface of the planet (I think the colors and everything was washed out, like there was too much white light) And that was the end. Back then I interpreted it as a new hope for humanity, everyone had to die (for some reason), but somehow an offspring of the old humans was able to be born again. Really depressing stuff for a child Razz

Some (if not all) of the details could be wrong, so if you remember anything remotely similar, please let me know.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know a site with a table of the currencies and their value used in Spice and Wolf? Or something similar.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:
...- It has something to do with space, and spaceships. There was a main couple iirc (a guy and a girl) and a old man with moustache, which looked like a scientist (he was short, fat and bald, and his looks reminded me of Dr Robotnik from Sonic). They were flying these ships around what looked like planet Earth.

- I don't remember the plot before the finale, but everything seemed to be fine until some sort of alien parasite infested the people while on the ship (the "parasite" looked like sunny-side-up eggs! pasted in front of their heads), they started to act erratically and then....they freaking DIED!!! It was so shocking, specially because the Midget Dr Robotnik was a comic relief character, but even him passed away.

- The next thing I remember was a newborn baby appearing in the surface of the planet (I think the colors and everything was washed out, like there was too much white light) And that was the end. Back then I interpreted it as a new hope for humanity, everyone had to die (for some reason), but somehow an offspring of the old humans was able to be born again. Really depressing stuff for a child Razz...

I have the Australian release: Space Firebird 2772. It's in the ANN encylopaedia here.

Here's your sunny-side-up eggs and "Midget Dr Robotnik":

I did a short review here. I think it is a good film.

Amazingly it is still on release from Madman Entertainment in Oz. You can order it here although you'll need a region 4 player or region breaking software if you're not from Oz. There's even a trailer for you to confirm it's what you're thinking of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Does anyone know a site with a table of the currencies and their value used in Spice and Wolf? Or something similar.

Habitués of 2ch's Spice and Wolf thread talked about the currencies.
These are excerpts from their postings.

1 Lumione gold coin = Approx. 33 Thoreni silver coins
1 Thoreni = 40 Irade silver coins
1 Thoreni = ¥8000~¥10000

(Note: I don't know how the translator for Yen Press romanised the monetary units in the light novel series.)

egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
So it would be safe to assume that spoiler[his debt on season one] was around $150k? Assuming that's the coin he owed. They used a lot of currencies.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
So it would be safe to assume that spoiler[his debt on season one] was around $150k?

You mean spoiler[ his having bought arms and armour on credit]? If so, as to it, in 2ch's Spice and Wolf anime thread, a habitué estimated it at approx. ¥12000000.

egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Surprised I got that close considering I only spent 30 seconds with calculations. Laughing

Thanks for the info, that was the main reason why I wanted to know the currency. Wink
Masakaki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't suppose you can enlighten me as to what the pun is? I haven't come across it on other sites and nothing is jumping out of a search on Youtube.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Masakaki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:23 am; edited 4 times in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
EDIT: I just noticed that all those AMVs are uploaded by the same person, so I guess he's the one who's obsessed with that anime.

Yea, that's the case. There is no joke, he just really likes True Tears, and he feels that's the only show he needs to tag.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
What's the Japanese equivalent of "bingo", as in "Bingo, you got it right!"?

I've heard it before, but I don't actually know what they're saying. Is it Peepo? Beepo? Beebo?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 376 of 569