• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:49 am Reply with quote
If you use Crunchyroll, you can add series to a queue, and your queue page will then tell you when new episodes of a series have been added.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Also if you use Crunchyroll on an android phone and allow push notifications you are made aware when new episodes of all currently running shows air.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ignatz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:06 am Reply with quote
So, I recently started watching Nobunagun. I love everything about it! It's a really generic action show, but very entertaining, and I guess it's all that matters. However, I noticed that there's one thing that's kinda unique to this show: its main character is female. Pretty much the only other action show with a female main character I can think of is Soul Eater. Are there any others?

EDIT: Okay, I forgot about Shakugan no Shana and KILL la KILL. Anything else?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
So, I recently started watching Nobunagun. I love everything about it! It's a really generic action show, but very entertaining, and I guess it's all that matters. However, I noticed that there's one thing that's kinda unique to this show: its main character is female. Pretty much the only other action show with a female main character I can think of is Soul Eater. Are there any others?

EDIT: Okay, I forgot about Shakugan no Shana and KILL la KILL. Any others?

I was totally going to call you out Kill la Kill with a huge sarcastic remark.

Ooh, ooh, totally get into some of the action magical girls like Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Senki Zeshou Symphogear, and maybe Vividred Operation. Day Break Illusion is more psychological.

And A Certain Scientific Railgun is also great, has the major female power horse from the Index series.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Claymore (99% of the cast is female) and From the New World are the first two that popped into my head.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't call From the New World an action show, but I'd greatly recommend it because the main character Saki is fascinating.

As for things that could more easily be called action, I'd recommend Birdy the Mighty: Decode and Soukou no Strain, and if you don't mind old things (don't know why someone would, but I do know some fans aren't interested in older anime) Silent Mobius, Dirty Pair, and Gall Force
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
@Ignatz
These somewhat older shows all have multiple female main characters:

Bubblegum Crisis and most of its variations.
Burn-up which has four different series.
Burst Angel
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue
Kiddy Girl-And
Kiddy Grade
Koihime Muso has three series.
Queen's Blade has at least three series

EDIT: I am very embarrassed that I forgot My HiME and My Otome
EDIT2: How about Noir, Madlax, and El Cazador de la Bruja?

Some of those might be categorized as adventure rather than action, but they are all action shows to me.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
Thanks for all the recommendations, guys. I'll check them out. Wink
DarkRiftSlayer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
It is my favorite anime and hated seeing end so abruptly. I love love hina and I wish you would bring back.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
ANN isn't involved with the production of anime, so they cant bring anything back
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
Ignatz, I don't know if you'll view them all as "action", but:

Kino's Journey
Earth Girl Arjuna
Michiko and Hatchin
Kurau Phantom Memory

These are all titles with strong female leads and a certain amount of action.

- abunai
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the recommendations, abunai.

I've already seen Kino's Journey and Kino is easily one of my favorite characters. I've also seen a couple of episodes of Earth Girl Arjuna, and that show is absolutely gorgeous!
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations, abunai.

I've already seen Kino's Journey and Kino is easily one of my favorite characters. I've also seen a couple of episodes of Earth Girl Arjuna, and that show is absolutely gorgeous!

You can not forget about Moribito.
Balsa is one of the best!
SwordKing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Hello,

I am having trouble identifying this anime movie. It is an hour long and it has chinese subtitles and japanese language. It has robots and a female reporter and Mr. X. The Chinese title is "Challenging the 22nd Century". I want to know the original name for this anime movie. Thanks.

[img]https://flic.kr/p/mGtC31[/img] Very Happy
pibburns

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
SwordKing wrote:
Hello,

I am having trouble identifying this anime movie. It is an hour long and it has chinese subtitles and japanese language. It has robots and a female reporter and Mr. X. The Chinese title is "Challenging the 22nd Century". I want to know the original name for this anime movie. Thanks.

[img]https://flic.kr/p/mGtC31[/img] Very Happy

I believe this is Monkey Punch's "Scoopers", a 1987 OVA which runs about an hour. A female investigative reporter and her android photographer sidekick face off against Mr. X, whose henchmen are robots. The character designs in your image match what I recall of the animation.

I watched a fansub of this a long time ago. There never was an official English language release as far as I know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 474 of 569