• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sebasfac

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I don t know why but i have a vague idea of new wildlife and/or new species in every new planet.
The good guys were human i guess, but not all.
Maybe i'm wrong but i think the anime's graphics were good.

Damn, it must be hard for you to recognize the anime. But i remember almost nothing besides this and some things i'm not one hundred percent sure. :s
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I get the impression that it might be Macross 7 but without further information I can't confirm anything.

Edit:

I missed his last post on the previous page. Makes me even more unsure about my guess.

Last edited by EmbraceMe on Thu May 21, 2015 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sebasfac

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
#838418 wrote:
It is an anime in space, with some good guys vs bad guys where the good guys were always in bad shape or had to survive an epic not favorable war. And i remember they were jumping from planet to planet doing something

The planet to planet destruction part makes me think of Space Battleship Yamato aka Star Blazers. That's probably not it, but have a look at the artwork and see if it rings any bells. Since what you provided describes a lot of series, without more to go on, it will probably be impossible to pin it down. :/

I'm almost sure there was a black deathstar in the anime...maybe it was the evil hq or at least they using it to destroy planets. are there so many animes with deathstars? :s
pibburns

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm almost sure there was a black deathstar in the anime...maybe it was the evil hq or at least they using it to destroy planets. are there so many animes with deathstars?

GSzanboti's idea of "Star Blazers" (Patrulha Estelar in its Brazilian Portuguese release -- was the Portuguese Brazilian in the anime you watched?) is a good one. It's been a long while since I've watched this series, but there are "moon killer" and "planet killer" weapons and large bases.

As for other anime with "Death Star" like bases/weapons, there are actually a number. I can think of some off-hand: Vandread, Ideon,
Gall Force.

Last edited by pibburns on Thu May 21, 2015 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Manga Ent. has Star Blazers up on YouTube, so it's easy enough to check out some episodes, as long as you've registered and can sign in (it's behind an age restriction firewall, who knows why).
Sebasfac

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Van dread has some space images during the anime that are different graphically. Those kinds of graphics are exactly what i meant by "good graphics" that the anime i'm searching for also has. I have to continue looking into this tomorrow Smile
Shenanigans

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:36 am Reply with quote
The show sounds familiar, I remember watching a show around that time called Outlaw Star... Don't know if that's what your looking for but good luck
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
It's almost easier to just list a bunch of scifi series that came out around late 90s to early 00s.

Also, you did say Portugal, wikipedia says that Outlaw Star, Trigun, and Excel Saga all aired. Outlaw Star sounds the most likely out of them though, there were lots of planetary travels going on with lots of alien species and the graphics were good (though some people dislike the character designs themselves as they were a tad weird). Though I don't recall anyone ever destroying planets.

Martian Successor Nadesico and The Irresponsible Captain Tylor both involve spaceships. Both of the wars aren't quite in the good guys' favor either. I believe Tylor involves more space travel though as Nadesico only takes place within this solar system. Tylor doesn't have mecha, Nadesico does.
Sebasfac

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even knew there were so many animes about space. I don't even remember ever watching any of those you just listed. More ideas? There must be a way of finding the anime, it couldn't have just vanished in time. :s
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there are hundreds, maybe thousands of anime about space. That's why we were looking for any other info you could provide, to narrow down the possibilities.
Sebasfac

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember having battle in space, it was just in planets, but what i basically remember was the good guys always running away and running away, to do some kind of mission. The plot was all around it. I remember a death star appeared in a lot or maybe all of the episodes.
I will start to search in portuguese foruns anyway Smile I have to find it!
Shenanigans

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Good luck finding it! You ever find it come back and let us know Smile
WickedHate

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
So I've been wondering, is Knights of Sidonia anything more than Space Attack on Space Titan in Space? Because it reminds me a lot of AoT, and I really don't like that show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
When you say it reminds you, do you mean by the premise, or from watching the series? Since you mention it, I can see how the premise could remind you of AoT, though that had never occurred to me before. The execution of the series is nothing like it though. For starters, the MC is not obsessed with revenge and is a sweet, very likeable soul.

If you haven't actually seen any episodes, I'd suggest watching a few and then deciding. It takes some time to get used to the CG characters, but the space battles are extraordinary and to me, the sense of isolation in space has never been done better since 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
For me, comparing the two is like comparing SAO and Log Horizon.

Yes, both SAO and LH take place in(?) a video game, and deals with the people stuck there and trying to survive and/or get home. Yes, both Knights of Sidonia and Attack on Titan take place in an isolated environment where the last remnants(?) of humanity fight for survival against "alien" invaders.

And that's about where they stop.

AoT is very much like SAO, in the comparison. Both take the basic premise, and turn it into an action series. The main character fights (a lot) to both protect himself and his own, and to try to get further in uncovering the truth.

KoS, on the other hand, is like LH. Yes, there's action, but the series is much more focused on character introspection, calmly (or not so calmly) investigating things, and coming up with solid plans of action, rather than rushing in blindly and/or rashly.

Another comparison I could make would be to the Gundam franchise. AoT is like some of the newer universes, where the pilots can somehow do what they want without getting into trouble. KoS is more of UC, where there generally aren't these spontaneous "I'm gonna go fight because I can"-style fights, and when someone does do something out of line, they get reprimanded for it, even if the outcome justifies the means.

So, like Gina, I can see where the comparison is made, but if you're deciding on if you want to watch KoS or not based on your opinion on AoT, it's a very different show.

That being said, unless a show is explicitly a sequel or meant to be (or accidentally became) a "spiritual sequel", it bothers me when people say "Oh, [show A] is like [show B], and I didn't like [show B], so I won't watch [show A]." I get if it's in a genre that you don't care for, or if you've seen other stuff from the writer that you don't like (for example, my roommate can't stand stuff from Yuu Watase, who uses a lot of the same storylines/tropes in a lot of her work). But just basing it on "oh, this show is similar, so therefore it's the same" bugs me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 503 of 569