• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Titles that don't make sense to you.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
What anime had a title that didn't make sense to you when you watched the actual series?

Bleach- I think this is the most obvious one.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya- Does Tanigawa even know what 'melancholy' means? Because Haruhi is anything by melancholic. If that was meant to be ironic, that just comes off as pretentious.

Naruto: Road to Ninja- Putting aside the fact that this movie was a complete letdown with plot holes so big, you could fly the Starship Enterprise through them, the title didn't make much sense. All the other Naruto movie titles had something to do with the plot. Was the metaphorical road symbolize character development? Because this movie had very little of that. I guess if it went by the honest title (Naruto and Sakura Moping for 90 Minutes), it probably wouldn't have sold tickets.

Dragon Ball Kai- Funimation had the right idea by adding 'Z' to the title. If they wanted to call it that, they should have started from the very beginning of the manga.[/b]
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Bleach - it's his hair. I'm nearly 100% sure of it.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - She actually strikes me as rather melancholy whenever she isn't trying to harass, cajole, and pester everyone else into taking part in her latest "make things interesting" strategy. I know that's the majority of how we see her in the anime, but she was downright melancholy at the beginning.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya- Does Tanigawa even know what 'melancholy' means? Because Haruhi is anything by melancholic. If that was meant to be ironic, that just comes off as pretentious.

Oh, this is an easy one to explain. The title is a reference to how unbelievably dangerous it is for Haruhi to get melancholy, as when this does happen near the climax of the story, she starts to subconsciously destroy and remake the world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Mangirl - They should have chosen a better name as it can be really misleading to Google this.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
1. Ichigo 'bleaches' the hollows, as in destroys/erases them.
2. If Haruhi gets bored the universe explodes
3. It's the path to becoming a ninja, presumably Naruto's since it showcases his family and what he did to get to where he is today
4. The manga was always called Dragon Ball in Japan all the way through until the end of the Buu saga (where as Viz added on a Z to the American release) and since Kai was suppose to be 'just the manga', it signifies that you can go from Dragon Ball to Dragon Ball Kai.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:57 am Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Kai was always advertised as a DBZ recut for the 20th anniversary of the TV series in Japan. That's why they didn't need to add "Z". Everybody already knew.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EricJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:22 am Reply with quote
Having watched the show, I'm convinced Coyote Ragtime Show was so named as to be alphabetically next to Cowboy Bebop wherever it appeared.
(An old trick rock groups used to use, like the Beau Brummels wanting to be alphabetically next to the Beatles.)

As for other series, I'm not sure how Pumpkin Scissors refers to an action brigade, although I can vaguely theorize that Bubblegum Crisis has something to do with the heroine being a rock idol.
larinon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:56 am Reply with quote
Bubblegum Crisis, now that's what I call a sticky situation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:26 am Reply with quote
Tite Kubo explained Bleach's title YEARS ago. The shinigamis wear black clothes, to contrast and emphasize that he chose the word "Bleach" that evokes whiteness.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:26 am Reply with quote
@EricJ: Apparently at some point the commander of the unit compares them to scissors that cut through a pumpkin's flesh.

Clearly somebody has never dealt with a pumpkin.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:21 am Reply with quote
A Bubblegum Crisis is one that keeps expanding until it blows up in your face. There is no way out except an explosion. Some of the original art work had a profile of a girls face with a bubble almost as large.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
@EricJ: Apparently at some point the commander of the unit compares them to scissors that cut through a pumpkin's flesh.

Clearly somebody has never dealt with a pumpkin.

I think the problem is with the word "scissors" as the group emblem uses something I would call "shears". Something like that would cut through a pumpkin. Well, stab...

Pumpkin shears sounds more like a type of stockings though...

Quote:

In the Melancholoy of Haruhi Suzumiya {and its 6 episode adapted series}, Haruhi was most certainly melancholic from her "baseball' stadium" story to her epiphany in episode 6.

The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya is more of a mystery; Once she's over her Melancholy, what's she sighing for? And considering the plot, it's more of a Mania or Drive; I've always liked the Hannibal reference and when it's combined with her growing manic gaze, it's pretty had not to get behind her and follow {out of fear, naturally}.

I'm still not sure what it has to do with a sigh though.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
As for other series, I'm not sure how Pumpkin Scissors refers to an action brigade, although I can vaguely theorize that Bubblegum Crisis has something to do with the heroine being a rock idol.

Others have explained BGC. Alice explains the section's nickname (and hence the title of the series) in one episode: the section is meant to be a tool to cut through corruption in the war rebuilding effort, much like the heavy scissors used to cut pumpkins.

And yeah, it still sounds corny to me, but there you go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
A quick look through MAL, a few come to mind. I didn't bother researching them so idk if there's already a clear explanation. They're Elfen Lied, Gosick and Ultra Maniac. Don't ask me how I managed to complete that obscure Shoujo anime listed last, but it's an even weirder name given that it's about magical girls and stuff.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
Elfenlied is a German poem which is present in the Elfen Lied manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6