• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - The Shape of Things

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Great article as always, Brian, that question about consensus really got me thinking, I would say that i have to agree that some anime have reached a general consensus among the fans to be Universally good. Cowboy Bebop, is the one that comes to mind. as in MOST people who watch it, think its great. Trigun and Evangelion had this, but i think that those shows have aged in the minds of the fans, and newer fans who watch them don't think they're nearly as good as the older fans make them out to be.

I don't think this sort-of consensus is unique to just our fandom theres a lot of consensus in film between critics. Most of the time a well educated critic will like the same films as another such critic. I know i look at the general consensus between a bunch of reviews before i decide to see a movie or not.

I would say that sometimes a show can get universal hatred and dislike as well but i think it happens less often and with more opinions being involved, not so much consensus of how horrible it was. This is also easier to see among critics, one film is viewed as horrible from one good critic, a lot of others are gonna view it the same way.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Trigun and Evangelion had this, but i think that those shows have aged in the minds of the fans, and newer fans who watch them don't think they're nearly as good as the older fans make them out to be.

Maybe Trigun, but at least Evangelion has a retelling with magnificent visuals going on. I don't really think they aged that much. With stuff like Berserk, Trigun, NGE, etc., it's probably a bit hard to get into it, but once you are, it's just as enjoyable. Cowboy Bebop is a huge exception within that group... just how huge was their budget?

To this day I still have a major issue with the designs of Air, Clannad, and the like. They do look like aliens.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've always held that even though you cannot account for taste, there is an empirical scale of quality inherent to anime (or art in general).

Aesthetic realism, the doctrine according to which our judgements of art are true or false in virtue of certain facts obtaining about their objects, is a thesis I eschew.
If there is an aspect of an anime or other creative work which, by itself, both warrants and justifies a given normative utterance concerning it, I find myself quite incapable of conceiving of what this could be and how it would present itself to a viewer.
Unfortunately, it seems that both folk and enlightened opinion generally falls against my favour.

animehermit wrote:
Brian, that question about consensus really got me thinking, I would say that i have to agree that some anime have reached a general consensus among the fans to be Universally good. Cowboy Bebop, is the one that comes to mind. as in MOST people who watch it, think its great.

If you are inclined to point to the general approval of Cowboy Bebop as evidence of at least a single instance of a universal good, the fact that most but not all fans share a common sentiment is insufficient to establish this inference. Unless genuinely universal approval exists, which for the title in question it does not, all that its existing popularity demonstrates by itself is its existing popularity. One requires a further set of premises in order to show that Cowboy Bebop is universally good on the basis of its popularity; premises that account for the presumed error committed by dissenters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea what consensus has to do with reviewing anime. I mean take the example of Evangelion that Brian made, I mean the series literally put me to sleep, I couldn't take watching even half the series. Not everyone is going to agree on something so it's pointless to use popularity as an example of how good something is.

When I watch anime I put them on a 1-10 scale, if I can finish a series it's guaranteed at least a 6 with the exception of Code Geass R2 which was entertaining for all the wrong reasons.

Now if I can finish it but it has massive flaws than it's a 6, if it had large flaws than it's a 7, if it had some flaws than it's an 8, if it had only minor flaws it's a 9, and if it's near perfect than it's a 10.

In a debate I would discuss it using the reason I gave the rating for.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Now if I can finish it but it has massive flaws than it's a 6, if it had large flaws than it's a 7, if it had some flaws than it's an 8, if it had only minor flaws it's a 9, and if it's near perfect than it's a 10.

I don't think I'll ever understand this perspective. I'd take originality over perfection at any given time. Guess that's why you're always whining about popular stuff.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:

I don't think I'll ever understand this perspective. I'd take originality over perfection at any given time. Guess that's why you're always whining about popular stuff.

Originality certainly plays its part but it's not going to really be this huge reason why I like something. If it's popular, it's going to be copied which leads to things like my experience with Saint Seiya, where I couldn't get into it simply because Ronin Warriors copied it, and I saw that in the mid 90's.

I also like a lot of popular anime I just tend not to talk about them unless they are brought up.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How can people even stand to watch Shin-chan, or One Piece? The animation quality is poor, and the stories and characters lack any substance.

really? One Piece has bad design? I though the characters design are very cool and unique.

I guess at the end of the day, it's up to each individual to decide what is good and what is bad design.
toyNN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It might just be a pet peeve of mine, but seeing recycled design elements is probably the most annoying example of poor design in anime. Sometimes it's not so bad, like Shirō Masamune's recycled mecha design across his various franchises. I never really get tired of spidertanks. However, the most egregious example of this is also one of the most annoying aspects of being an anime fan. I despise Hirai Hisashi, the character designer behind the anime versions of s-CRY-ed, MS Gundam Destiny, Fafner and Heroic Age, among others. His stupidly same-y characters are painful to watch and impossible to really enjoy.

Personally I really like Hisashi's designs and the idea that his "style" is clearly seen in all the designs is because, well, its his style and designs. No different than CLAMP whose character designs are unmistakable, similar, and repleted to a degree (X and Code Geass). CLAMP even goes so far as to have cameo appearances by various characters crossing over in to other franchises. Its their style.

I don't want an established designer trying to radically change their style. If I need something new there are mountain of new manga/anime with new designers behind them.

{disclaimer: just an opinion and not statement of fact}
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Quote:
How can people even stand to watch Shin-chan, or One Piece? The animation quality is poor, and the stories and characters lack any substance.

really? One Piece has bad design? I though the characters design are very cool and unique.

I guess at the end of the day, it's up to each individual to decide what is good and what is bad design.

Lots of westerners seem to find Oda's designs really off putting. I am one of them. It took me a very long time to get over how...different the designs were but I've gotten used to it and now even find Ussop an almost pleasant character to look at.
Maigraith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Yorozuya wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
Quote:

Lots of westerners seem to find Oda's designs really off putting. I am one of them. It took me a very long time to get over how...different the designs were but I've gotten used to it and now even find Ussop an almost pleasant character to look at.

It seems odd that the design would be off putting to westerners given that our animated shows tend to vary quite a bit. Than again, perhaps it's because so many of them have a mental image of what anime "should" look like that anything different tends to be off putting, though that doesn't explain panty and stocking with garterbelt.
lewisfoster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
As a super-longtime (45 years) employee of a HUGE Japanese company, let me tell you, DO NOT mention that you like anime in a job interview. You are being interviewed by HR and HR HATE otaku.

Lewis
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote
A guy named Masashi criticizing One Piece? Kishimoto, is that you? Surprised

(JK, Kishi is actually a fan of One Piece IIRC)

As for spending habits, definitely. When I started becoming an anime fan, that was the time I got out of collectible card games and miniature games, which drained me out of $10-50 every week for something I only played one day per week. Talk about a waste looking back at it all. At least I watch anime at least one episode a day so I get more for my buck.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Woo, I got in! And no one's thrown tomatoes at me yet! Razz

(Also, Nechronius, you wouldn't happen to be a fan of 12 Oz. Mouse, would you?)
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
lewisfoster wrote:
As a super-longtime (45 years) employee of a HUGE Japanese company, let me tell you, DO NOT mention that you like anime in a job interview. You are being interviewed by HR and HR HATE otaku.

Lewis

Yeah, that's probably a good idea not to mention you like anime, besides, Otaku has a bad connotation in Japan and it would be better if they didn't know you like anime, especially if it's off topic.

And while having Durarara!! on TV would be great and all, considering how much it costs to actually get it on TV, and the current costs of the DVDs, which I've seen people complain about, I don't think it'd sell well enough to get the broadcasting rights money back.

Last edited by mglittlerobin on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
PMDR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
Have spending habits changed? Spending on what? The subject is sort of omitted.

Well, I've been an anime fan since I was 7 years old, which is a lot longer ago than I will admit. Many decades ago.

When I was 7, my spending habits consisted of buying candy and stink bombs and slurpees from the corner store and the other usual things a 7-year-old buys. There were no anime goods to get even if I'd wanted them.

Flash forward a few decades and my spending now is on bills, more bills, car payments, other mundane stuff. And yeah, the occasional anime item or CD or DVD. Compared to then, I have significantly more spending power -but that SHOULD be the case. The weekly allowance for a 7-year-old won't go far in the real world.

Recently found some stink bombs for sale at a fireworks store. I bought a decent supply of them and they are still just as much fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3