• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Evangelion Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starkiller

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:12 pm Reply with quote
The more sexual scenes are likely going to be cut. Well, actually Adult Swim has pushed the boundaries with PA and Champloo in that department. I don't know what to think...I just hope they're not censored too much. Shinji's sexual um...problems are important to the show in my opinion.
emory

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:31 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
"Yet another?" Name one anime Adult Swim has actually "butchered." Go ahead, I'd like to see what you come up with.
Someone will say Blue Gender, so I'll pre-empt by saying that looked like the result of a lot of miscommunication. Other FUNimation shows since then have passed through with no big problems.

Another thing, Adult Swim does air shows that are rated TV-MA, but only shows that are originals. In other words, acquired programming (anime, off-network comedies like Oblongs) are still kept to a TV-14.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:42 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
justdiver wrote:
And I'm worried that they're going to just hack and slash this thing apart and destroy yet another great series...

"Yet another?" Name one anime Adult Swim has actually "butchered." Go ahead, I'd like to see what you come up with.

Blue Gender. Anime hyper But yeah, that's the only series that has been unfairly edited, and that wasn't even edited by Adult Swim, but by Funimation themselves to save themselves from having to edit it again because it still wasn't edited enough for Adult Swim.

Also, I think justdiver is referring to anime that has been cut and ruined in general, like on other programming blocks and channels, since Adult Swim is not known for butchering anime like some other networks or companies do.
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, most of the stuff about Evangelion that would truly stir up controversy is in the Evangelion movies (the first scene of "The End", for example). I think the show should be able to make it more or less intact.

The only truly unsettling scenes I can think of in Eva that might make them balk are spoiler[when Unit 01 eats that one angel, and when Unit 01, out of Shinji's control, smashes that entry plug.] Those even freaked ME out... Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dejitaru Otoko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The only truly unsettling scenes I can think of in Eva that might make them balk are spoiler[when Unit 01 eats that one angel, and when Unit 01, out of Shinji's control, smashes that entry plug.] Those even freaked ME out...

Again, those scenes don’t really involve many shots of HUMANS bleeding. At this point in AS's evolution, I think robots could bleed all they wanted and AS wouldn’t have much of a problem. AS only has a problem with a lot of blood coming from people (Though GitS:SAC has raised the blood limit amazingly high). And the few shots of bloody humans in the spoiler[entry plug] scene that there are, are very brief.

I would not be surprised if Eva ran completely unedited, considering that all the nudity scenes seem to be oddly nipple'less as they are.
bebop26

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Yes. Violence and blood has loosened up from what Adult Swim has shown. If you ask me, the violence that has gone by in Wolf's Rain, Fullmetal Alchemist, even InuYasha has shocked the hell out of me, looking back at when Cowboy Bebop first premeired in 2002.

And from a few threads I've stumbled upon on this forum, Blue Gender was edited so much by FUNimation because adult swim sent them back the copies because they were "too violent" and FUNimation didn't want them sent back again. Some stuff was inconsistent, according the Kyle Pope's edit list, and some stuff that was edited in Blue Gender was nothing we didn't see in other anime shows like InuYasha or Trigun or even any of the comedy shows.

Anyway, I'm betting the first two episodes of Evangelion will run unedited, though those are the only two episodes I've seen of the series.
parabellum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
justdiver wrote:
Isn't anyone else worried the series is going to be absolutely butchered? I mean this series is absolutely crazy (not to mention the creator). The violence is off the charts and the ideas that are conveighed in the series are just as likely to create a stir. And I'm worried that they're going to just hack and slash this thing apart and destroy yet another great series...

the violent scenes are not too bad in todays standard.
the real problem is those reference to Judio-christian symbolism.

If AS don't edit it, they will receive hate mails from right wing
conservative.

but if they edit it, they will receive hate mails from right wing and also anime fans.

so I think they will rather please their fan base than worry about people who will never watch their shows anyhow.
emory

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
parabellum wrote:

conservative.

I don't think enough religious righties will be watching Adult Swim, or do right now, to care. AS doesn't seem to care too much about religion despite being based in Atlanta. In fact, they have an upcoming original series that's a religious satire.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
parabellum wrote:

conservative.

I don't think enough religious righties will be watching Adult Swim, or do right now, to care. AS doesn't seem to care too much about religion despite being based in Atlanta. In fact, they have an upcoming original series that's a religious satire.

yeah... most of the religious nuts out there don't tend to watch AS. heck, all the religious nuts I've run into that scream "heresy!" when it comes to anime are so anti-anime all anime makes them cry "heresy!"

also, one must remember, in relation to Judeo-christian ideas Eva is more heavily off Jewish mysticism than anything Christian, no matter how often the Chrispies scream about it butchering ideas from their religion.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to the Promo that AS showed on sunday night we now know what verson AS has. ADV gave them the orgional verson.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Thanks to the Promo that AS showed on sunday night we now know what verson AS has. ADV gave them the orgional verson.

Does this mean hilariously pathetic raindow lettering during the later-series psychological bits with Asuka & Shinji? That crap always damn near ruined those scenes for me until the corrected versions came out. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:

Does this mean hilariously pathetic raindow lettering during the later-series psychological bits with Asuka & Shinji? That crap always damn near ruined those scenes for me until the corrected versions came out. Confused

Most likely. I know that got on my nervs as well, I got Platinum the moment it started comming out then sold off my orgional DVDs, but kept the Box and EoE.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
emory wrote:
parabellum wrote:

conservative.

yeah... most of the religious nuts out there don't tend to watch AS. heck, all the religious nuts I've run into that scream "heresy!" when it comes to anime are so anti-anime all anime makes them cry "heresy!"

also, one must remember, in relation to Judeo-christian ideas Eva is more heavily off Jewish mysticism than anything Christian, no matter how often the Chrispies scream about it butchering ideas from their religion.

Nice bit of sterotyping there.

Yes, Williams St. is based in Atlanta, therefore they can't show a theme with religious themes? Or what, we're going to rally at 10th St. Methodist Church and go burn them down....?

And "Chrispies"? Now, there's one I hadn't heard before. I'll award points for orginality.
justdiver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Alright alright alright. You may have found some loop holes in the things that I have said. And I may have overlooked the fact that the anime that adultswim gets their hands on is for the most part "untouched." But I guess the one thing that I was thinking about, specifically, was the part in the series were the boy pretty much masturbates onto his unconscious friend....I think that might hit the cutting board floor. Or the fact that the women in the series are often seen in less than a bathing suit, not grotesque I'll admit, but that didn't stop them from imposing "swim suits" on other seires'.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:04 pm Reply with quote
justdiver wrote:
Alright alright alright. You may have found some loop holes in the things that I have said. And I may have overlooked the fact that the anime that adultswim gets their hands on is for the most part "untouched." But I guess the one thing that I was thinking about, specifically, was the part in the series were the boy pretty much masturbates onto his unconscious friend....I think that might hit the cutting board floor. Or the fact that the women in the series are often seen in less than a bathing suit, not grotesque I'll admit, but that didn't stop them from imposing "swim suits" on other seires'.

Wow, it sounds like you've never even seen the series. First of all, the main character, Shinji, is not a pretty boy. He's a total wuss. Second, he masturbates over Asuka in the movie, not the series. Get your facts straight, please.

Also, to whoever said Bebop premiered in 2002, it actually premiered on Sunday, September 2, 2001.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3