• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are there types of Otakus?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmizusawa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
Do you think that there are types of otakus as this 4-koma manga suggests?

http://heart.okwave.com/culturezine/four_panel_comic_strips/51/98

Or otakus are just genrally otakus.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote
Otaku can apply to anyone who has an obsession with something. The word otaku actually translates to "house", so the idea is that the person is SO obsessed with this material/thing that they barely leave their house. This is exaggerated for a lot of fans...but not all of them, sadly.
So yes, the manga character is right; someone obsessed with manga would be a manga otaku, ditto for anime and games. A female yaoi otaku is called a "fujoshi".

There is a scene from FMA Brotherhood with Ed and Winry bickering, calling each other "machine otaku" and "alchemy otaku", respectively. Anime hyper
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Watch Kuragehime ("Princess Jellyfish"). All five women in the show are "otaku" of various sorts. The main character's passion is jellyfish, but others are into trains and traditionally dressed dolls.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
And old men. Can't forget the old men.
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Then, we also have train otakus. o__o Yep. Elevator otakus? Check! Just go onto Youtube and find particular users recording every single elevator they go into. That's hardcore dedication/passion right there! V_V

(I'll be honest here. My cousin, in Taiwan, is literally an otaku for all things Japanese anime, manga and novels. Being in Taiwan makes this super easy as these are some of the most popular areas (manga/novels) in the bookstores. Even if my cousin leaves his house on a daily basis, I swear he is one. All the computers he touch will have some kind of moe-ish wallpaper. Found one on my grandpa's computer so I changed it when I got the chance. I'm not saying that him being an otaku is a bad thing as much as the word, itself, is coined to be. ^^; He makes certain things interesting...)
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

There are otaku who are obsessed with old men?
That is a bit ... surprising.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

There are otaku who are obsessed with old men?
That is a bit ... surprising.

Princess Jellyfish. Read/watch it and enjoy as you finally understand what exactly an otaku is.
tmizusawa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Whaat? There are train otakus and old men otakus? I thought otakus are people who like anime-ish things? I am amazed that there are so many types of otakus. Thanks for the information!
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Trains is a big one. But someone can be an Otaku, of pretty much anything, if they are obsessed enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mits

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Otaku is one of Japanese second person pronoun. It is rarely used in real life, though it doesn’t sound very ridiculous even now. Yes, the original meaning is ‘your house’ and ‘your family’, so it sounds a bit distant and connotes ‘I’m not your family’ and sometime ‘I have different opinion than you’. Otaku becomes their generic name not because they stay in their house for a long time but because they called each other using this pronoun. I think they use this pronoun because they had different opinion and obsession with each other. So, from the start point, there are many types of otaku.
thebeats42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
I originally thought "Otaku" is what they call anime lovers.
So it is actually something for people who have an obsession.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
beats, please observe our policy on necroposting.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1