• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: Five Questions Later

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
The guy that wrote in about Vampire Hunter D is an idiot for his totally ignorant comments on dubs. He's got his mind in the 80s, when dubs were terrible.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
tempest wrote:
Maybe you're both just too young for it? I get the feeling that WHR skews a bit towards an older 20+ age group. It might be a bit too slow for teens.

Ouch. I'm 22. I'm not an imbecile, either. I kept up with the story without any difficulties.

I didn't mean to imply that you couldn't keep up with the story.

I'd expect a ten year old to keep up with the story.

I meant to imply that it was too slow for most teenagers and that they;d get bored.

Of course, that can easilly happen to a 30 year old as well.

As for the characters, they aren't likable, but what goes on in their head was, IMO, interesting. As I stated elsewhere, it's not necessarry for characters to be likable in order to be interesting.

But yes, it's a slow show, so anyone who doesn't like slow, won't like Robin.

-t
Jimmy Balls-O-Steel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:34 am Reply with quote
My suggestion for a column title: "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"
Gusty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:27 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the fact (in regards to the Vampire Hunter D question) that the lip flap usually doesn't match in anime even on the Japanese track. Razz That's because they do the animation before they record the voices, unlike American animation.
oe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:39 am Reply with quote
I saw Bloodlust some time ago, but one part that stood out in my mind that was terrible in the dub was the black hole in D's hand... I've forgotten what it was called. There was a long section of walking in the desert where the hole in his hand just babbled on unnecessarily with lots of grunts and "hm"s. I recall the Japanese VA did not do this, and the scene worked so much better. I also remember the dub VA for the hole sounded like a neurotic old man. It makes me cringe to rember it and still, several years later, colors my overall impression of the movie.
noisy_mouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Well. This comment is ONLY about a month late, so no one will likely read this, but I feel compelled to comment anyways, since I am the idiot with the ignorant view of dubs. Actually I've watched very few dubs from the 80s. My low opinion of dubs is because I am extremely picky, and, I don't mean to sound like snob, but I am probably more critical of actors than the average anime fan is. We could get into huge debate about english vs japanese which would never end, but let's just respect each other's opinions, hey?[/i]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2