• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Confused about order to watch Bakemonogatari?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venomblade89

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote
Alright, so I've been watching Bakemonogatari, and have Nisemonogatari ready to watch, but I'm not sure if this is the correct order and where neko comes in. Also, Kizu, but I hear that hasn't released yet. So if someone could be so kind, it'd be much appreciated to tell me the correct order. I'm already 12 episodes into Bake, so I hope I didn't mess the order up too much already.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote
Bakemonogatari is technically the first of the bunch to air, with Nisemono being a sequel and Nekomono: Kuro being a prequel (same with Kizumono whenever it comes out).

It's best to start off with Bakemono and then Nisemono (which continues the events of Bakemono). You could watch Nekomono afterward, though you might be better off waiting on Kizumono whenever it comes out since it takes place before the events of Nekomono.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
venomblade89

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Bakemonogatari is technically the first of the bunch to air, with Nisemono being a sequel and Nekomono: Kuro being a prequel (same with Kizumono whenever it comes out).

It's best to start off with Bakemono and then Nisemono (which continues the events of Bakemono). You could watch Nekomono afterward, though you might be better off waiting on Kizumono whenever it comes out since it takes place before the events of Nekomono.

Thanks so much! Any idea when Kizu when come out, or is it still up in the air?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
Look, when an anime is still coming out, but it's coming out in a weird order of events, just watch it as it's been released. Everyone else not reading the novels (the overwhelmingly majority of us) is on the exact same page, so you're not having a uniquely bad or weird experience that reveals information in a wrong way. Don't worry about having to hold off to watch this or that in this order, just watch it.
venomblade89

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Look, when an anime is still coming out, but it's coming out in a weird order of events, just watch it as it's been released. Everyone else not reading the novels (the overwhelmingly majority of us) is on the exact same page, so you're not having a uniquely bad or weird experience that reveals information in a wrong way. Don't worry about having to hold off to watch this or that in this order, just watch it.

That was what I was planning to do Razz. Enjoying Bake very much, and don't really want to have to wait for Kizu to come out to see Neko.
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
venomblade89 wrote:
Any idea when Kizu when come out, or is it still up in the air?

Still up in the air. It was announced in 2011, but then got delayed "past 2012".
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Here is what a Japanese friend of mine and I agreed upon (albeit I am * 'Japanese stupid' and he is * 'Competent Engrish'):

(1) By release:

Bakemonogatari [2009] 15C [12 + 3]
Nisemonogatari [2012] 12C
Nekomonogatari: Kuro [2012-2013] 4C
Kizumonogatari [2013] [?] [amovie]

(2) By story:

Before Golden Week:
[1]Kizumonogatari: [Shinobu, Hanekawa Tsubasa, Araragi Koyomi, Oshino Meme]

During Golden Week:
[2]Nekomonogatari: Kuro: [Araragi/sisters, Shinobu, Oshino Meme, Tsubasa/BakeNeko]

After Golden Week:

[3]Bakemonogatari:
[Hitagi/Crab, Mayoi/Snail, Kanbaru/Saru, Nadeko/Snake, Tsubasa/BakeNeko]
[Oshino Meme, Shinobu]

[4]Nisemonogatari:
[Araragi, Karen/Bee, Tsukihi/Phoenix]
[Hitagi/Deishu Kaiki; Kagenui and Ononoki]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
^Don't forget the upcoming "second season", which is actually the 3rd TV anime (WTF? Confused ) which looks like you'd watch it after Nisemonogatari I guess.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
^
It's called the "second season" because it will contain the second parts of everyone's arcs. As in, each girl gets another arc again, a second arc for each. While it was the second television Anime, Nisemonogatariis essentially part of the first season (by the logic they are using) because it is still introducing characters, namely the sisters.

So it does make some sort of logical sense to call the upcoming season the second rather than the third. They're just using the criteria of stories and not broadcast blocks.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
watch Nekomonogatari black first, then Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari If you want chronological
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
^
That's if you want it chronological. But I'd recommend against it.

Just watch it in the order it was made. Simple to do and it means you don't have to wait for Kizumonogatari in order to watch it in complete chronological order. Also, I get the feeling that Nekomonogatari was intended to be watched after Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari. Especially with the way Shinobu is handled.

Once everything is out, then watch it all chronologically.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:56 am Reply with quote
Like most people, I also recommend watching it by the release order. I get the feeling that watching it this way is much more enjoyable than watching it in chronological order.

So yeah, Bakemonogatari --> Nisemonogatari --> Nekomonogatari --> whatever comes out next.

By the way, since we're talking about -monogatari series... Am I the only one who thinks that Nisemonogatari was much weaker than Bakemonogatari? I was left kinda disappointed and didn't even check Nekomonogatari afterwards. Confused

Last edited by Ignatz on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Denueve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:13 am Reply with quote
venomblade89 wrote:
Alright, so I've been watching Bakemonogatari, and have Nisemonogatari ready to watch, but I'm not sure if this is the correct order and where neko comes in. Also, Kizu, but I hear that hasn't released yet. So if someone could be so kind, it'd be much appreciated to tell me the correct order. I'm already 12 episodes into Bake, so I hope I didn't mess the order up too much already.

Kizumonogatari is a prequel to bakemonogatari so the sequence should be kizumonogatari first then bakemonogatari
but the release date stated that bakemonogatari should be watched first

Kizumonogatari maybe a movie showing how Araragi gained his vampiric powers from Shinobu "Kiss-Shot Acerola Orion Heart Under Blade" Oshino
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
Thinking a little I agree even more with the release order, Nekomonogatari kind of through you into the deep end with his sisters, while they make only small appearances in the Bakemonogatari, and get a proper introduction in Nisemonogatari.

Then there is the very end of Nekomonogatari, that was made specifically for people familiar with Bakemonogatari, and then a huge teaser for Bakemonogatari 2. The series loves to drip feed information rather then be a straight explanation, which in my opinion was a decision to leave the audience wondering what is the deal with Shinobu through Bakemonogatari, give her a strong appearance in Nisemonogatari so we know she has character, then tease us heavily about what happened in Nekomonogatari, so that Kizumonogatari will be a huge revelation. After all the very beginning of Bakemonogatari included a huge teasing flashes of what happened to our hero.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
It's called the "second season" because it will contain the second parts of everyone's arcs. As in, each girl gets another arc again, a second arc for each. While it was the second television Anime, Nisemonogatariis essentially part of the first season (by the logic they are using) because it is still introducing characters, namely the sisters.

So it does make some sort of logical sense to call the upcoming season the second rather than the third. They're just using the criteria of stories and not broadcast blocks.

Maybe, but SHAFT Logic =/= My Logic. I find it needlessly complex, but it's not really a big deal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2