• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Valvrave the Liberator, Gurren Lagann TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vinnycthatwhoibe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
vinnycthatwhoibe wrote:

Remember the Dragon Ball Z HD remaster Funimation was doing on Blu-Ray? The real one, not the Kai garbage. Each season was at most $30 a pop. That was all remastered, from an original film print, and underwent extensive treatment to obtain optimal picture and sound.

You either make back your costs and a profit by selling it to an elite few lottery winners, or you sell it to a much wider audience at a reduced but still profitable price. I'm no expert

No, you clearly aren't, because you're using an example of a demonstrable expensive failure to prove a point about what price points "should" be.

In fact, if Funimation had sunk the amount they did into that DBZ remaster project but only sold it as a severely limited edition that came with some sort of replica Dragonball and a Goku silk shirt, cut the print run down to nearly nothing and then charged out the ass for it, it might not have been the financial boondoggle it turned out to be. Spending wads of cash on a top-notch restoration and then charging next-to-nothing turned out to be a bad business model for the top-selling anime series in American history. Why you're using that as an example in this case is beyond me.

The reason this failed is because they had already released the series like a bajillion times previously. There were the individual VHS's, the individual dvds, the ultimate uncut special editions, the orange brick sets, the re-release of the Dragonboxes, Kai... by that point all the Dragon Ball fans had already spent their last dime. They simply should have released the blu-ray version before doing all those half-rate jobs and sucking the fans' wallets dry. Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

I'm not saying the Gurren Lagann set should be $30, I'd happily pay... heck I'd be willing to fork out $150 for a real quality collector's set. That's still pretty high but I'd do it. It's not like this is a 400 episode anime.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit, people, we go over this every goddamn thread.

Clearly this is working for AoA. They continue to release anime and they release MORE of it than they used to. Seriously people. STOP BITCHING. It's utterly pointless. This is working for them. They don't want to stop. The collective moaning from a bunch of people is irrelevant in the face of the few who are ponying up the bank to buy these releases.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:

So basically, Aniplex are choosing to alienate the other 9 potential buyers who could give them, at a lower price, the same amount of money the 1 is getting them, or even more?

That makes a lot of sense.

It makes sense if there aren't actually that many people that are going to give them the money at the theoretical lower price.
Calibrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Clearly this is working for AoA. They continue to release anime and they release MORE of it than they used to. Seriously people. STOP BITCHING. It's utterly pointless. This is working for them. They don't want to stop. The collective moaning from a bunch of people is irrelevant in the face of the few who are ponying up the bank to buy these releases.

Then we persuade the few willing to pony up (aka, complete idiots) to NOT do it. It's not rocket surgery.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
partysmores wrote:
So basically, Aniplex are choosing to alienate the other 9 potential buyers who could give them, at a lower price, the same amount of money the 1 is getting them, or even more?

There will be legal streams to watch for people like you.

But they tore down my legal streams a couple months ago.

All I wanted out of life was to finish Gurren Lagann via Netflix on my Wii...

I'd say its pretty much a given its going to be added to Daisuki this Spring, since Aniplex is one of the principal companies involved in it.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

well maybe the fan-base does not wish to be violated up the a$$ by AoA....if no1 says anything then this crap will continue and you'll be treated like a mindless sheep. if you want change you have to speak up.
partysmores

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

"Clearly this is working for AoA."

Is that why Durarara!! bombed? Of course, if Aniplex were selling overpriced diapers, we'd be hearing a lot more complaints out of you...
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Calibrator wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Then we persuade the few willing to pony up (aka, complete idiots) to NOT do it. It's not rocket surgery.

Why should people who happily buy these releases listen to people who don't buy anime? Why should those people care what you think?

As someone who bought the Fate/Zero release, I just think these people feel they are entitled to their dirt cheap American prices, and they should get used to paying Japanese prices since I fully expect that will become more the norm as time goes on.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:

"Clearly this is working for AoA."

Is that why Durarara!! bombed?

It was the cheaper release (which was pretty much in line with standard R1 pricing) of Durarara!! that bombed, not the BD import set they released a few years later. I don't think we've heard anything about how that did for them.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
partysmores wrote:

It makes sense if there aren't actually that many people that are going to give them the money at the theoretical lower price.

Shows like Durarara, Madoka Magica, Fate/zero, Blue Exorcist, and Sword Art Online are among the most popular anime titles right now. Those alone would sell a lot more than nearly all of FUNi and Sentai's current catalog. This isn't Maria Watches Over Us, Himawarii, or Uta-Kata we're talking about here.

Quote:
It was the cheaper release (which was pretty much in line with standard R1 pricing) of Durarara!! that bombed, not the BD import set they released a few years later. I don't think we've heard anything about how that did for them.

$120 for a 26 episode show is normal? I don't think so. Plus, those sets were sold pretty much exclusively at RightStuf.com, a site only hardcore anime fans even know about. If they were sold in a significantly cheaper boxset on Amazon (likely in two sets), that would be a different story. It's sad when a show like My Bride is a Mermaid sells better than freakin Durarara.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Why should people who happily buy these releases listen to people who don't buy anime? Why should those people care what you think?

well why should people who dont buy care about what people who bought think (aka you)?
Calibrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

As someone who bought the Fate/Zero release, I just think these people feel they are entitled to their dirt cheap American prices, and they should get used to paying Japanese prices since I fully expect that will become more the norm as time goes on.

You're basically saying, just because you're a complete idiot, everyone else should become one as well - in opposition to my idea of turning complete idiots into people using their brains?

You're essentially supporting anti-intellectualism here. On top of that, you're willingly supporting market elitism. That doesn't fly with a whole lot of people, friend. Not many at all. It's a laughably weak argument on your part that just bolsters my statements.

Last edited by Calibrator on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:

Is that why Durarara!! bombed? Of course, if Aniplex were selling overpriced diapers, we'd be hearing a lot more complaints out of you...

fantastic. that's the best thing I've heard in a while.
lulz0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
fudge you Aniplex. Die in a fire
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Calibrator wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

You're basically saying, just because you're a complete idiot, everyone else should become one as well - in opposition to my idea of turning complete idiots into people using their brains?

You're essentially supporting anti-intellectualism here. On top of that, you're willingly supporting market elitism. That doesn't fly with a whole lot of people, friend. Not many at all. It's a laughably weak argument on your part that just bolsters my statements.

And yet people who refuse to pay these prices constantly complain that they aren't making what they like and that anime is full of "Moe garbage"... maybe if Americans were actually willing to pay the standard price, they'd have more say in what gets made. But because they're cheap, and their sales are pretty much insignificant for typical R1 releases, Americans will stay irrelevant when it comes to what gets made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 24