Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Valvrave the Liberator, Gurren Lagann TV Anime Series


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 1141

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Guys Its very simple why these people are defending Aniplex. These individuals that are arguing with us are the few twats that went and bought the releases for 500$+

So now if Aniplex will lower the price, they will feel ripped off for spending their life savings on 26 episodes of a cartoon lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4233

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Calibrator wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Holy shit, people, we go over this every goddamn thread.

Clearly this is working for AoA. They continue to release anime and they release MORE of it than they used to. Seriously people. STOP BITCHING. It's utterly pointless. This is working for them. They don't want to stop. The collective moaning from a bunch of people is irrelevant in the face of the few who are ponying up the bank to buy these releases.


Then we persuade the few willing to pony up (aka, complete idiots) to NOT do it. It's not rocket surgery.



Yeah, how dare those who want to spend their money as they wish do as such.

PROLETARIAT POWAH! EFF DA BOURGEOISIE, MANG!


Last edited by Chagen46 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Myaow



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 1054

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Calibrator wrote:
You're basically saying, just because you're a complete idiot, everyone else should become one as well - in opposition to my idea of turning complete idiots into people using their brains?


?? That's so mean. Since when does "having the cash to buy something pricey that you want" = "being an idiot"? I don't have the money for this release because I'm a poor plebe but that doesn't mean that the people who DO are bad or wrong or something. Don't be rude.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
partysmores



Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 284

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Calibrator wrote:
You're basically saying, just because you're a complete idiot, everyone else should become one as well - in opposition to my idea of turning complete idiots into people using their brains?


?? That's so mean. Since when does "having the cash to buy something pricey that you want" = "being an idiot"? I don't have the money for this release because I'm a poor plebe but that doesn't mean that the people who DO are bad or wrong or something. Don't be rude.


I mean, in a way, they kinda are. If they have enough money to blow on an overpriced cartoon from Aniplex, they could be helping the poor with it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
Myaow wrote:
Calibrator wrote:
You're basically saying, just because you're a complete idiot, everyone else should become one as well - in opposition to my idea of turning complete idiots into people using their brains?


?? That's so mean. Since when does "having the cash to buy something pricey that you want" = "being an idiot"? I don't have the money for this release because I'm a poor plebe but that doesn't mean that the people who DO are bad or wrong or something. Don't be rude.


I mean, in a way, they kinda are. If they have enough money to blow on an overpriced cartoon from Aniplex, they could be helping the poor with it.


If it weren't for people paying these prices, there wouldn't be an anime industry at all outside of kids shows. These prices are how 90% of all anime survive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 1141

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Calibrator wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Why should people who happily buy these releases listen to people who don't buy anime? Why should those people care what you think?

As someone who bought the Fate/Zero release, I just think these people feel they are entitled to their dirt cheap American prices, and they should get used to paying Japanese prices since I fully expect that will become more the norm as time goes on.


You're basically saying, just because you're a complete idiot, everyone else should become one as well - in opposition to my idea of turning complete idiots into people using their brains?

You're essentially supporting anti-intellectualism here. On top of that, you're willingly supporting market elitism. That doesn't fly with a whole lot of people, friend. Not many at all. It's a laughably weak argument on your part that just bolsters my statements.


And yet people who refuse to pay these prices constantly complain that they aren't making what they like and that anime is full of "Moe garbage"... maybe if Americans were actually willing to pay the standard price, they'd have more say in what gets made. But because they're cheap, and their sales are pretty much insignificant for typical R1 releases, Americans will stay irrelevant when it comes to what gets made.



Why do you assume that people who are complaining are American? Why are you discriminating if people refuse to pay the Japanese price? There are enough Europeans, Australians, Canadian and British people who don't agree with these prices
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 12655
Location: NZL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
GUYS. GUYS. GUYS.

Am I correct in thinking that US$550 for twenty-seven episodes, two movies, the soundtrack and all the swag is better value for money than Fate/ZERO's two boxsets, which combined cost more money and only had twenty-five episodes (and no movies)?

If you could swallow buying Fate/ZERO then you can definitely swallow buying Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.


Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
partysmores



Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 284

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Guys, guys, guys.

Am I correct in thinking that US$550 for twenty-seven episodes, two movies, the soundtrack and all the swag is better value for money than Fate/ZERO's two boxsets, which combined cost more money and only had twenty-five episodes (and no movies)?

If you could swallow buying Fate/ZERO then you can definitely swallow buying Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.


But we didn't swallow Fate/ZERO. We complained about that too. But they didn't listen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Calibrator



Joined: 24 Mar 2013
Posts: 64

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

And yet people who refuse to pay these prices constantly complain that they aren't making what they like and that anime is full of "Moe garbage"... maybe if Americans were actually willing to pay the standard price, they'd have more say in what gets made. But because they're cheap, and their sales are pretty much insignificant for typical R1 releases, Americans will stay irrelevant when it comes to what gets made.


That has got to be the single most f*cktarded cause for justification. You don't have the single inkling of how regional market economies work, do you?

Ambimunch wrote:
Guys Its very simple why these people are defending Aniplex. These individuals that are arguing with us are the few twats that went and bought the releases for 500$+

So now if Aniplex will lower the price, they will feel ripped off for spending their life savings on 26 episodes of a cartoon lol


Pretty much. They're claiming we're butthurt, but they know if we get our way, the fact that they're complete idiots will actually dawn on them. So, they're trying to sell the delusion as best they can.
Myaow wrote:
?? That's so mean. Since when does "having the cash to buy something pricey that you want" = "being an idiot"? I don't have the money for this release because I'm a poor plebe but that doesn't mean that the people who DO are bad or wrong or something. Don't be rude.


It's not mean - it's being a realist. People have tried to be logical and calm with these types before - it doesn't work. Hence, I had no choice by to put it in the simplest possible sense: They're idiots because they're willingly spending their money knowing that if they do, they're f*cking over 95% of the anime community and industry.

How can you NOT be an idiot knowing that, and still buy it? This isn't like Ferraris or Apple - where the market is insanely huge, and consumers have vast amounts of variety. This is a much more isolated market that demands distributor cooperation so much more than competition.


Last edited by Calibrator on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 1141

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

If it weren't for people paying these prices, there wouldn't be an anime industry at all outside of kids shows. These prices are how 90% of all anime survive.



Funimation, Bandai (RIP), Sentai, VIZ, Rightstuf, ADV (RIP) equal 90% of the anime industry in the North and they don't charge that much.


Last edited by Ambimunch on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
But we didn't swallow Fate/ZERO. We complained about that too. But they didn't listen.


Thats because you're not the audience they're aiming it for. It would be better if people just realized that these imports aren't made for the casual anime fans who want their cheap 30 dollar DVDs. They're made for the biggest fans who want to own a premium collection with all the bells and whistles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
GWOtaku



Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Posts: 618

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
This is probably pointless, but whatever.

Saying the business model works for AUSA is worthless. This is not what most complainers complain about. One side says "this isn't fair", you say "ah ha, but it will still work" and then you wonder why that other side doesn't smile and accept it, even after assertions that importing the equivalent Gurren Lagann Blu-ray set from Japan would actually cost less money.

To argue for a sense of calm and perspective, one could point out how some brick DVD boxed sets used to cost around $200, as once was the case for Gundam Wing and Fushigi Yugi a long time ago. You could point to how, on balance, anime fans get a far better deal for anime than ever considering the quality of DVD and Blu-Ray compared to VHS tapes in the 90s, and so God bless technology. You could point out how a DVD single used to cost 20 or 30 bucks and now you can get a collection of at least 13 episodes, in HD, for double that price most of the time. You could point out that, more often than not, the shows that get collector editions from AUSA made TV or are confirmed for Neon Alley or were streamed *for free* and that, who knows, maybe Gurren Lagann will be too. You could point out how there is a spiffy-looking DVD box set for Gurren Lagann that costs a lot less and argue that we shouldn't feel entitled to HD.

Instead there is one and only one dominant counterargument: that to not embrace the most expensive prices for home video product in the world is to be an ignoramus, a fool, a cheapskate. That is sane because that's how it works in Japan, so everyone else has to be entitled. Really? Come on.

Yes, there is a point where complaining about the AUSA business model is beating a dead horse and an individual should just stop. But the pushback against it is infinitely worse, and you guys can do better than that tiresome argument you're so fixated on.


Last edited by GWOtaku on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 1141

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

If it weren't for people paying these prices, there wouldn't be an anime industry at all outside of kids shows. These prices are how 90% of all anime survive.



Funimation, Bandai (RIP), Sentai, VIZ, Rightstuf, ADV (RIP) equal 90% of the anime industry in the North and they don't charge that much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

If it weren't for people paying these prices, there wouldn't be an anime industry at all outside of kids shows. These prices are how 90% of all anime survive.



Funimation, Bandai (RIP), Sentai, VIZ, Rightstuf, ADV (RIP) do not equal 90% of the anime industry in the North and they don't charge that much.


I'm talking about the actual anime industry, not the localization companies. If Japanese otaku weren't paying these prices, the anime companies wouldn't have the money to do all the anime they have now.


Last edited by RyanSaotome on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
HitokiriShadow



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 6156

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Shows like Durarara, Madoka Magica, Fate/zero, Blue Exorcist, and Sword Art Online are among the most popular anime titles right now. Those alone would sell a lot more than nearly all of FUNi and Sentai's current catalog. This isn't Maria Watches Over Us, Himawarii, or Uta-Kata we're talking about here.


Popular.... how, exactly? People watching it via free methods or on a site they maybe pay ~$8 a month for? "Popularity" is not the same thing as sales. Shows far more popular than some of the ones you mentioned have been released at normal R1 prices to disappointing sales or at least nothing near what people were convinced would be a smash hit.

And funny you should mention Madoka Magica. That had a three-tiered release, and do you know which one vastly outsold the others?

Quote:

$120 for a 26 episode show is normal? I don't think so.


It's slightly more expensive than buying two modern Funi or Sentai sets but not horribly so. And its basically right at the price people paid for the typical R1 release not that long ago, so its hardly anything to get up in arms about.



dtm42 wrote:
Guys, guys, guys.

Am I correct in thinking that US$550 for twenty-seven episodes, two movies, the soundtrack and all the swag is better value for money than Fate/ZERO's two boxsets, which combined cost more money and only had twenty-five episodes (and no movies)?

If you could swallow buying Fate/ZERO then you can definitely swallow buying Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.


You are correct. This has more content and its about $100 cheaper. The difference is that F/Z was split so most people weren't paying it all at once (but everyone claims the price as "$700" in AoA arguments) and that was the first release, while this is a re-release and there's a much cheaper new DVD release also coming out. But that just gives people even less reason to complain here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 24

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group