• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magical Doremi Airdate

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyechan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
So, we all know everybody's opinions on 4Kids right now, so here's the real question: How many of you actually watched or wanted to watch Doremi to begin with?

*raises hand high* I've seen most of the 201 episodes and the special episodes, along with both movies. It's my favorite mahou shoujo series, so hence my fears of the English dub. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bebop26

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
How many of you actually watched or wanted to watch Doremi to begin with? I know I haven't watched it before and I'll probably watch it about as much as I watch other magical girl shows (read: infrequently at best) but that's about it.

Well I haven't heard of Ojamajo Doremi before, and I never watched it. Now I'll probably watch it see everyone's reaction to it. (who knows, maybe I'll like it)
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:14 pm Reply with quote
skyechan wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
So, we all know everybody's opinions on 4Kids right now, so here's the real question: How many of you actually watched or wanted to watch Doremi to begin with?

*raises hand high* I've seen most of the 201 episodes and the special episodes, along with both movies. It's my favorite mahou shoujo series, so hence my fears of the English dub. Sad

*nod nod* Okay. I'm down with that. It's understandable to be cautiously pessimistic from your position. I was the same way with Scrapped Princess.

However, I'm interested in how a few certain people will answer that question and I know who they are. I won't tell you, but I bet I know how they feel about 4Kids. Cool

On a somewhat unrelated note, it looks like this whole situation is kinda like the hype surrounding Mew Mew--well-done MS show brought to the US with some interesting changes in mind--and nary a complaint has been raised since maybe around week 3.

I probably should catch some of that Naisho before I make any judgements on the actual show. Where is it, you ask? Sore wa himitsu desu. Wink
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I've seen random episodes raw (from back when Star Hedgehog still had an IRC room), including every episode with the FLAT4, and the first 17 episodes subbed. Even so, I'm very interested to see it dubbed. I'm generally a fan of dubs, even ones that most folks hate (Slayers, Pokemon), although there are some that even I can't listen to without wanted to die (Kaleido Star, One Piece (but only Sanji).
Now, I've seen that usually the most fuss comes from people who have seen a show in the original form, in which case, I really don't see the problem, because they already know what the original is like. I find seeing both sides of an anime (language-wise) to be fascinating. And I even like dub theme songs, since I can actually sing along with them (yes, even the One Piece dub theme). I know I'm an oddity in the anime world, but hey, that's just how I am.
Going back to the FLAT4, I wonder how they'll be handled. Actually, I was talking with one of my friends back in 2003 about what the dub names would be if Doremi ever came over, but I forget what we came up with, other than Leon wouldn't have to change, and Akatsuki would probably be Anthony.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kisaki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Some dubs are ok, but I actually cried over how bad the Tokyo Mew Mew dub was. (Yes, I know. I'm a complete and total drama queen. What else is new?) I really hope Doremi isn't as bad.

I don't hate the name changes of this show quite as much as I hate the Mew Mew name changes. As for theme songs, I kinda like some of the English ones, although I still prefer the original in most cases. However, I haven't heard Doremi's Japanese opening, so I don't know. The English song "Now That I Can Fly," which I think is the opening I think is performed by three of 4kids voice actors. Part of it sounded like Lisa Ortiz and part of it sounded like Veronica Tailor.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Awww, that's so sweet, linlin. I wish other people on this thread were as open-minded and hopeful as you.

*huggums*

Thanks. I learned long ago that we can either get angry about mistakes/changes, or accept them, because no anime had any releases here for the most part 20 years ago without being drastically rewritten... but we still loved it.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:14 am Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:
no anime had any releases here for the most part 20 years ago without being drastically rewritten...

I'm more fortunate, so it pisses me off when I see the relatively rare hackjob. Nuts to accepting second-rate.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, there we go. It aired for the first time today, and they've already skipped three episodes.
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Today was just a "sneak peek." The show doesn't really start airing until September 10th.
As with Tokyo Mew Mew, they didn't show the first episode as the preview, so I assumed they'd show this one. When I showed a fansub of the first few eps to my anime club a few years ago, I only chose to show episode one and four (since we were watching a number of different shows that evening).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
skyechan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:19 pm Reply with quote
TheoryGirl wrote:
Today was just a "sneak peek." The show doesn't really start airing until September 10th.
As with Tokyo Mew Mew, they didn't show the first episode as the preview, so I assumed they'd show this one. When I showed a fansub of the first few eps to my anime club a few years ago, I only chose to show episode one and four (since we were watching a number of different shows that evening).

I dunno...I'm having sneaky suspicion episode 4 of the original IS episode 1 of the dub, for two reasons:

1) Random flashback of episode 1 shown that wasn't in the original episode.

2) Doremi DIDN'T know about the Level 9 Witch Exam despite being excited when she learned about it in episode 2. Oo;; She was also the one to bring it up during this episode, not Majorika originally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Laruto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:06 am Reply with quote
skyechan wrote:
TheoryGirl wrote:

I dunno...I'm having sneaky suspicion episode 4 of the original IS episode 1 of the dub, for two reasons:

2) Doremi DIDN'T know about the Level 9 Witch Exam despite being excited when she learned about it in episode 2. Oo;; She was also the one to bring it up during this episode, not Majorika originally.

You don't to worry thats how the original was
skyechan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:09 am Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
skyechan wrote:
TheoryGirl wrote:

You don't to worry thats how the original was

...*blinks* Am I confusing you here? I'm saying that's not how the original episode went. I saw the original. The dub is throwing in scenes from episode 1 that didn't exist in the episode before, and Doremi didn't know about something she already should have.
Wayland

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
The series will start with episode 1 on September 10th and run in order after that (including episode 4 in its proper place).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2