• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Date A Live (TV) (all seasons + movies).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote

Season 1 - Date A Live (TV)
Season 2 - Date A Live II (TV) (discussion starts here)
Movie - Date A Live: Mayuri Judgment (movie) (discussion starts here)
Season 3 - Date A Live III (TV) (discussion starts here)
Spinoff - Date A Bullet (movies)

Genres: action, comedy, drama, fantasy, romance, science fiction
Themes: fanservice, harem, magical girl, superpower, yandere

Plot Summary: Thirty years before a strange phenomena called a "spacequake" devastated the center of Eurasia, claiming the lives of at least 150 million people. Since then, smaller spacequakes plague the world on a irregular basis. Shidō Itsuka, a seemingly ordinary high schooler comes across a mysterious girl at the ground zero of a spacequake and learns from his sister Kotori she is one of the "Spirits" who are the real cause of the spacequakes that occur when they manifest themselves in the world. He also learns that Kotori is the captain of the airship Ratatoskr and recruits him to make use of his mysterious ability to seal the Spirits' powers and stop them from being a threat to mankind. However, there is a catch: to seal a Spirit, he must make her fall in love with him.
----------------------------------

Ep. 1
Ok, so another pre-airing from NicoNico. Gotta say though, I nearly turned it off in the first 5 minutes. I just found the opening scene kinda insufferable for some reason.

After that though it did improve, seems like there will be enough of a story here to push the show along. Nothing particularly exciting about the characters though, each one is something you've seen before.

All-in-all, more of the same I guess. More like a comfort series based on the last 5 years of shows.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I got mixed feelings on the episode as it seems to be rushed a bit. Kotori is a bit annoying to watch also and the artwork is pretty generic. In regards to the premise, I kinda like it but can quickly shift directions by the looks of things.

I am looking forward to what comes later soon being a manga/LN fan and all. I might re-watch it again when a higher quality debuts. Oh and that ED song is hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ghost10516

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Alright. It was a decent first episode, but I expected a lot more tbh.

His sister spoiler[going from totally dere to super cruel and bad towards her brother is annoying as hell. I want to strangle the life out of her, no joke. Also, why the heck is she the captain of the whole anti network?]

spoiler[A freaking middle school student leading a military force that is fighting against beings that are destroying the world?] lolwut Japan? At least the ending showed a little more suspense where Tobiichi (I hate how its pronounced) spoiler[said her parents died. And who got the idea of dating the people who destroy the planet to stop them?] Again, lolwut Japan?

Overall, this first episode was VERY meh. I could not sympathize with the characters at all and it gave me a terrible first impression of the characters as well. The show itself has decent quality animation and sound overall, and I like the effect when the Spirit first appears.

Overall Score: spoiler[5/10]

Hopefully, the show elevates from just ecchi and a cruel imouto captain of the armada, to a more meaningful, action-y, and engaging story. Please do not make me give my hopes up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

So many clichés, it was almost too much to bare that despite such a serious plot point it would feel like such a cliché dating sim/ecchi romcom anime. There was an interesting point midway when he runs into "Spirit" and it felt or looked a lot like Infinite Stratos or full size Busou Shinki. And then crazy when his "sister" (I am guessing she is not really his sister) turns out to be a commander of some military operation, it was amusing but felt crazily improbable.

But when I saw the ending I think that I possibly understood something: spoiler[Could it have meant to be a cliché]? The spoiler[commander was placed to be his sister to enact the sister waking the lead up trope, and they worked to make him a stereotypical lead]. They possibly had a spoiler[plan of him running out to "save his sister" by making the promise and then putting the GPS over it, and would end up having a fateful encounter with "Spirit", and thus have their plan of making her fall in love]. Though I might be putting way too much credit into it and am pretty wrong, but it feels more compelling if I think of it that way.

It was rather humorous, like Murasame Reine being visibly tired by the dark under her eyes, and spoiler[falling asleep in the class from standing up]. The spoiler[masochist guy] was somewhat funny, but that is going to get old. The little sister being frightened by the spoiler["tic-virus", but also talking about getting rather cruel later]. And Tobiichi Origami is a really unfortunate name.

I plan to watch more. The deadpan of the Ending was very funny.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:56 am Reply with quote
Personally, I find the premise of this show absolutely hilarious: "Okay, so like, there's these Spirits who are causing destructive spacequakes. We're, like, trying to destroy them with weapons and stuff, but they're, like, really tough to kill. So our backup plan is to make them, like, dig you so you have to, like, date them." Laughing

Come on, that's genius.

Anyway, sounds like I'm the only one who is enjoying this so far. Not convinced I'll stick around to the bitter end, but definitely interested enough to continue giving it a chance.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote
Just finished the first episode. I can already tell that the story is likely to be another typical harem where the guy can't do squat except give words of encouragement which will automatically make all girls fall in love with him. Still, I'll keep watching this just for the jokes, Tobiichi, and Reine. I can already tell I'm gunna like those two characters over all the other ones lol Plus, who knows, maybe it'll actually surprise me and be deep with a good story line
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
Nice opening.
Those siblings were pretty fun to watch ^^
All the security measures reminded me of Evangelion anime.
It was actually pretty cool seeing something like that again.
This looks like fun so far.
I will give a few more episodes even if it does look like harem.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I saw the trailer some months back and that made it very clear what kind of show this would be, so it easily delivered on my expectations for it, then went a bit beyond them by being so amusingly yet deliberately absurd. It was also a pleasant surprise that it didn't try to cram too much into the first episode, something that I've noticed happening all too often lately, especially with urban fantasy harem comedies. I'm not sure whether it will remain silly, or if the next episode or two will cast certain aspects in a different light as DuskyPredator mentioned, but it looks like it could be a fun ride either way.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. it's silly and fun, and exactly what I was expecting. this is a keeper
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
After watching the 2nd episode, I have to agree with Blood's post. You can enjoy the show if you don't treat it as a serious one. I mean they were treating a life and death situation as a game. I laughed when they had a panel of old people and weirdos spoiler[ make the choices for Shidou as if it was a real life dating sim game.]

Even though Tohka has no memories she still knows how to say "Baka Baka." Also the Tobiichi chick might be a crazy stalker. We saw her stalking him in the first episode. Then in the 2nd episode when he was practicing spoiler[asking people out, she basically admitted that she has known him for a long time and sniffs his gym clothes ] Could she be a toned down version of Yuno Gasai?!!
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
Lol quite an interesting(odd) episode. I enjoyed the dating sim options and the nicknames they gave the advisers. I don't hate Tohka yet...but that ending... [/spoiler] Oh HELL NO! YOU DID NOT JUST RIP UP THAT PICTURE OF ORIGAMI!spoiler[ Do something like that again and I'll hate you more than Yozora from Haganai.
P.S. I know Tohka can't actually hear me lol]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

The teacher was really too spoiler[accepting of a student asking her to get married]. Apparently Tobichi spoiler[follows him around and sniffs his gym clothes, plus for some reason she walks around with an autographed picture of herself in her uniform]. Laughing I found the deadpan part of that scene funny.

Turning him into a dating sim was also entertaining, the panel apparently being: spoiler[a guy who got married and divorced 5 times, an older guy refered to as "a incubus in the moonlight", a highschool girl with strong grudges to enemies of her love, a delusional otaku with waifus, and a stalker high school girl.] Not sure if it failed or was helpful, she seemed mostly pissed off at the supposed right answers from how fake it sounded, although part of it worked too well.

I rather enjoyed the OP song too, although the ED was kind of boring. Despite it all Tohka (the Spirit) is kind of cute, totally a tsundere. So far I might prefer Tobichi's character, but only if she stays like she was in this episode, I don't want her to become generic. Look forward to continue this series.
sphyre052

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote
At first, I was really shock to know that this anime is ecchi since the manga version of this isn't ecchi. I don't mind about those parts since I really enjoyed this anime.

I like the part when Tohka calm down and there I knew that's she's a Tsundere. She's so cute when she said spoiler["You big dummy"] I was like "Anime hyper Waaaah! so cute!".

I also like the part when spoiler[Tohka has to change her outfit for their date with Shido and said "You want me to undress here?" hahaha! I can't stop laughing. Then Shido shows her the picture Tobiichi gave him. Tohka was like "Where did you get this?"] which is really funny.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Lol, dat choices. Well, at least it didn't derive that part from the LN. Otherwise, I found the latest episode cheesy and action a bit weak.

Well if there's one thing, spoiler[Tohka looks cute in her school uniform towards the end there.] Also, the OP song is surprisingly decent imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
casualfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode and am definitely pleased with the directing choice. From the catastrophic opening I thought this was going to be all dark and emotional. But looks like the staff is aware of how ridiculous its premise is and accordingly makes the show more on the humorous side. Hopefully it keeps this comedy element throughout the season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12