• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Date A Live (TV) (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't want to believe it but Miku is even WORSE than those annoying twins. And of course she is given the common sob story of being hurt by a certain group of humans therefore EVERYONE in the world is evil.........bleh that's been so overdone honestly. After Shido calls her out for being so bratty she resorts to tired tsundere antics. Probably the most unappealing girl of all the spirits.

Maybe the show is trying to be "meta" and the staff and/or writer was showing there dislike for Tsundere archetype in general.

As for show, an issue that pops up with season 2 closing episode is like season 1 it ends with another concept being shown up in that the "carnage level is ramped up" with a vague promise that there will be even BIGGER battles on the horizon.

For me at least Date a Live is one of the better examples in this genre of battling magical vixens which usually most releases are as vapid as there concept (and I enjoy -most- of them just the same)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Picked up BD/DVD from the Navy Exchange today. Watched the first three episodes.

Didn't really expect much, since the reviews were not that kind, but they all seemed to agree that the production values were pretty good. Which they are, can't complain about the art or the character designs.

Since I didn't see the TV series, can speak to how much of the fan service was revealed. For the first three episodes, didn't see any steam or lens flares.

Biggest complaint so far is why the serious tone in the beginning. You got a 14 year commanding the defense of humanity, love sims playing a part, and people of perversion supporting the lead. But show starts with death toll intonations in the hundreds of millions.

If you are going to be a silly harem action show, be a silly harem action show. Especially when your first ?villain? goes from a fierce warrior woman, to a drooling idiot in the first couple of episodes.

Otherwise, my expectations were so low to begin with, that I wasn't disappointed about the characterizations or the story.

Bought this for the fan service really, and I felt it has delivered. Hopefully, the rest of the episodes won't try to bring the serious in.

[EDIT: Decided to merge your thread with the main discussion one. -TK]
Volibear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
Hmmm. I'm glad this "extension" season actually had substance to it, sometimes they don't and they just add 10 episodes of fluff and it's worthless.

And overall I think it was slightly better than the original series, even though both seasons just seemed like a series of girl acquisition arcs, I feel like DaLII had more substance to it's arcs that the 1st season. Apart from that though both where pretty similar, which I guess is actually a good thing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:31 am Reply with quote
Movie

Just checked out the movie, Gekijōban Date A Live: Mayuri Judgment. Straight away I won't say it is quite amazing, it did keep me entertained at the least with all the spoiler[spirits getting a date for their personality (except Kurumi)]. And then we got a pretty exciting fight towards the end, was pretty good. But I think the plot of the movie has a flaw that I think was covered better in the Sora no Otoshimono movie, the two are kind of similar. Having some awareness of these type of moviesspoiler[ should tell you from the beginning that Mayuri was doomed from the start], and on that it never got me to spoiler[care about Mayuri enough], unlike a couple other anima with movie original content.

I do want to look on the bright side that in general this was pretty solid, although towards the end I am still wondering why Kurumi spoiler[could see the sphere and Mayuri along with Shidou]. Looking at highlights I might go with the Yuzaru and Kaguya, who got spoiler[their own dates each]. Thank god Yuzuru did not spoiler[actually listen to advice asked of Origami]. I will overall place the movie as Decent, it did not make me care enough or feel that there was enough pay off for the main plot of Mayuri, but I enjoyed it still.

I might also take this moment that although it was a while back, there was an OVA for the second season that was pretty good. Well it was about Kurumi, so that was instant pluses.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:35 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 12 (finale)

That's right, there was a third season. This last episode was pretty funny in how it flipped the script by making him the powerful being in danger from powers, and the girls all trying to win his heart. Was pretty funny when this playboy Shido following his job of making girls fall for him, to random girls. I think that the funniest part of the episode was hearing a drawn out distant fight in the control room.

Kind of feels at this point the series is losing a bit of steam, but it still had some good parts. Natsumi's transforming made for some fun parts, tense with her game, but I oddly enjoyed her turning the harem into kids. The resolution of a the duo of Yoshino and Natsumi kind of feels a little underused by the end, the rest all got to go to school, while Yoshino has mostly been alone. Also a really big Origami arc, which kind of flipped a whole bunch of things. Origami spoiler[became a spirit to kill spirits because one killed her parents, then goes back in time to stop it only to find out she caused. Shido ending up changing time quite a bit to try and change it, and having to reconcile Oragami at her worst with one that had it a little less bad.].

The funniest part of it was probably a shock of a normal Origami, and Shido took all the terrible perverse choices against what everyone thought, and against all reason it worked. Kind of like how Shido could not think of her as not a pervert, and despite how normal she acted, that part of her is still there. It was the most fun part of her character, going back to the first episode.

For a rating of the third season of Good (7/10), worth seeing.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:24 am Reply with quote
I was never much of a fan of this show. The first two seasons were amusing enough with the spirit dating antics which I feel like the 3rd season mostly lacked. Maybe that's why I rated the 3rd season lower than the other seasons. Rated it So-so.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:53 am Reply with quote
Season 4, Episode 12 (season finale)

This season at least ended interesting, telling us that season 5 is in the works, right after what is probably the biggest reveal of the series. Late in the season we learned about Kurumi's real plans and history, that she was a seemingly normal girl, who was tricked by the spirit of origins into killing innocent people turned into monsters by her, and now wants to go back in time to stop her from ever starting. I guess the Phantom of origin is Phantom, and the big surprise is that it is actually Reine, the person who was arguably the biggest ally of the main characters who was not a spirit herself. Say it isn't so that it is my favourite tired eyed white haired girl. Chances are that there were probably hints before now.

But really, I wasn't that into this season, I think that it has started to get stale for me, newly introduced sprits only do so much, and I think there is only so much more it can go on longer. But it did really get me to hate the villain guy.

My rating for the season will be Decent (6/10). And despite everything I said, I do look forward to the next season, maybe that it could be the send off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12