• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Date A Live (TV) (all seasons + movies).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Finally decided to watch the episode, I was kind of holding out for a better quality video, but my sources were not turning up anything. Did not really feel that great, really only notable thing was Kotori being rather desperate and considering him her close brother despite obviously having trouble having fun, it humanizes her. He did make the right decision at the end. The three girls making their "gross" appearance was also good, I think part of what makes me like their appearances is that it is proof he is not winning all girls like a harem lead should.

I do agree that Tohka is a weakly designed character, she just feels like she was specifically made to be a harem lead heroine, with little character, with a great body, childish personality, dependence, and a hunger to rival Goku. She feels shallow, but part of my hope was that it is done in purpose to play around with the trope, although there has been nothing yet to prove that
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Rhyono wrote:

You have to like Shido. He is a classic, weak male protagonist in a harem anime. There's nothing not to like.

Really, the only reason he's alive is because is because he's so pathetic and not worth killing ...

Yes, this is actually true of many a harem show protagonist.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:13 am Reply with quote
Origami is pretty persistent about her revenge.
That puts Kotori in serious trouble.
The whole pool - swimsuits thing kinda lightened the mood.
This was a fun episode.
Especially the part at the pool.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12/Finale
Eh, this series seems like the type that I can watch through but this finale imo was a bit lackluster. spoiler[Well, it was obvious that Origami would go after Kotori. All that rage from her.]

Anyways, I felt the episode and series itself was rushed. spoiler[Oh and did I see Kurumi this episode in a brief scene? Hmm....]

The fight that involved spoiler[Kotori/Tohka/Yoshino vs. Origami] was okay I guess. The ending wasn't though for me. I'll rate this as so-so.

P.S. There's still an OVA episode so I wonder what that will be about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Not bad. I gave this a decent. The strong points of the show were some of the girls were cute and the wacky love judges.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I liked Kannazuki's commentary quite a bit. Some what uneventful episode, though I guess it was mostly for setting up the final conflict of the season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:39 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Not bad. I gave this a decent. The strong points of the show were some of the girls were cute and the wacky love judges.

Same rating as me. I can't remember which eppie it was - episode 3, maybe? - that showed the comedic potential of this show, but unfortunately, the rest of the show generally failed to live up to that level. I liked it well enough though - briefly flirted with rating it Good, but then decided Decent better represented my opinion.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I really enjoyed this episode, it might have had its issues, as did the series, but the small highlights always made up for it, like Shido spoiler[doing the scared act. And that everyone agreed that he made the right decision over the frame of mind of their commander].

I kind of liked that Origami was so spoiler[out of control with wrath that she would not even let her crush get between her and revenge. Her mind going into turmoil as she was confronted with breaking her own promise of not letting anyone feel that way before, and her already actions that almost killed Shido earlier]. Her final act being possibly only spoiler[done out of exhaustion], were a good end that might just avert the cliché result.

The ending was also good in that it was revealed that Kotori spoiler[was at full affection all along (she loves her onii-chan) and the obvious bribing of Reine] was funny with the deadpan. That there was a "spoiler[only as a sister]" thing was obvious, but it had to happen. That she holds so much spoiler[affection for him and still has him I those embarrassing moments kind of adds some character, like that final bit]. I found it quite humorous for the entire spoiler[control room to be childishly shouting "kiss" repeatedly in his], kind of like putting the audience in the position (alternate shipper disregarding), and then the troll for a sequel.

I do hope for a sequel, despite the problems of this not keeping up to my expectations, numerous parts had me really liking this. The dating sim setting, Origami, the fact humor was mixed with so much tragedy had happened, that one girl that says "gross", they all grew onto me. That also reminds me that I kind liked the Yoshinon part despite expecting it get old, it had its moments but it was not too overused, I liked that she apparently gave the voice to her angel in the last episode. And Kurumi, she might not be saveable, but she was the jewel of this series for me, her appearance at the end has me theorizing that she actually plans on spoiler[rewinding time in a way beyond what she can currently do] for some reason, perhaps there is something there that will save her.

I will go above what other have rated, and boost it again due to some parts really going over well for me, and give it a "Very Good" it was a must watch for me.
animenendoroid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:16 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

Same rating as me. I can't remember which eppie it was - episode 3, maybe? - that showed the comedic potential of this show, but unfortunately, the rest of the show generally failed to live up to that level. I liked it well enough though - briefly flirted with rating it Good, but then decided Decent better represented my opinion.

Agree with you.
BleachedLegion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:03 am Reply with quote
I zoomed through the season. I kinda even put off some of my friends to finish...Although! Totally worth it! This anime made me laugh so many times. Although it did have its moments where some things seemed unrealistic. I can't wait for season 2 though nonetheless! I can't believe its already over! Jeez all the anime I love to watch are always 12 or 13 episodes long. Crying or Very sad
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:07 am Reply with quote
Fun times at the amusement park were nice.
spoiler[Shido - Kotori] heart to heart was kinda LOL
Especially when she read the situation wrong ^^"
spoiler[Origami's attack] was just a matter of time.
That girl really wanted revenge at any cost.
The ending kinda felt unfinished.
Guess 'cause the 2nd season is coming.
timmy7596

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I finished the series in one day which was today and it jumped to my top 5. The anime can really built into a great show. Its a funny, harem, sorta ecchi, romantic kinda show. It has alot and almost all the qualities and anime can have i give it a 9/10. the only show i gave a 10/10 was code geass
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I liked it. I'd greatly prefer more spirit battles, but I'll take this ending for now. More of Kurumi's time manipulation would be nice. I will watch the second season, and I'm giving this a Good
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Ova

Now that was a funny episode. If there were more episodes like this one in season 1, I would have gave it a higher rating. They should have given Origami more appearances in season 1. I loved the crowd's reactions during the dog swimsuit scene. The 2 orange haired twins shown in front of photo booth will be the new spirits for season 2.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
Wow, lame OVA. I barely paid attention to it and I found Tohka's voice a bit weird compared to the first season. A bit disappointed imo although I didn't expect much from it anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12