• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Severing Crime Edge (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote

The Severing Crime Edge
Genres: Action, Romance

Plot:

Quote:
Haimura Kiri is a seemingly ordinary boy with one slight problem: he is obsessed with cutting other people's hair. One day he meets Mushiyanokouji Iwai, the "Hair Queen" who cannot cut her hair because of an inherited curse. Kiri finds out that his scissor, "Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge" is the only thing that can cut them. But little did he know that their meeting sparked the start of an old murder game to kill the "Hair Queen" using the cursed killing tools, the "Killing Goods." Can Kiri protect Iwai from the Killing Goods Owners? Let the game begin!

Episode 1
Well, I definitely enjoyed the pilot episode. Such long hair!

There's this fantasy atmosphere and I enjoyed the vibe of that. The encounter between the two main protagonists Kiri and Iwai is kinda funny to watch. They also shared a tense little moment before interrupted lol.

I really feel sorry for Iwai in a way though in the latter half of this episode. Still, the tense moments between the two main characters so far is interesting to watch even under the sky of the snow imo.

spoiler[Kamisama, kamisama, kamisama]

Thrilling ending as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
That's a... um... hmm... well...

Some very awkward exposition, and it feels like they're trying their best Silver Link impression, but I found the episode very enjoyable. It actually reminded me a lot of Mysterious Girlfriend X, in that the relationship was built on something incredibly important to the two of them, but nearly incomprehensible to the viewer.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

That was a very murder first episode. What series does it remind me of? Perhaps C3 with the whole cursed item thing and a dark murdering thing in the background. Although this seems to rather different in the princess like look, it has a sort of gothic feel that reminds me slightly of or perhaps Dantalian, although darker, more modern.

Talking of Dantalian, just compare the images.

I plan on watching more, something makes me want to know what makes this show tic. Oh, and it is the new hair fetish anime, replacing last season's werewolf.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
That was an interesting and weird first episode. Which means I will be watching this.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
This is a weird one.
The characters are nice, but the story is just unusual.
Kiri's hair fetish is slightly disturbing.
Not so sure I'll be watching this one.
casualfan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Nice first episode. It sounds like it's going to be a battle royale type of show. Depending on the execution, 'murderers' fighting each other could be very interesting to watch.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
yeah, it looks like this is going to be "battle royale" type show this season. It's probably going to be better than Btoom.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
As it is now, it seems like a battle royale would be more ridiculous than good. I'm hoping that isn't the case.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
I think Carl described exactly what I felt about this first episode in the preview guide

Quote:
You can probably put that down to Kiri and Iwai, whose bonding over hair issues pulls off the tricky feat of being both impossibly cute and totally creepy, simultaneously chaste and profoundly perverted

I really don't know why, but I liked this a lot and I'm really looking forward to the next. I watched it for the insanity of the premise, and I'm abashed by how much I liked it, creepy hair fetish and everything.

Though in honesty I think this episode could easily stand alone, all by itself and tell a perfectly sweet-creepish story from beginning to end, I'm still interested in how this one will play out
Ghost10516

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
All I am going to say is that it was weird... I like it!
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
Yup, definitely a very strange anime. I was a bit thrown off by the premise of a guy who loves cutting hair, but I found myself captivated by the first episode. The chemistry between Kiri and Iwai was great! It was done very artistically. Although, pedophilia kept on coming to mind because of how young Iwai looked, but I'm sure they're the same age. The heavily dark background surprised me as well. I thought it was just gunna be about some fruity guy who goes around giving make-overs, but I'm glad that I was wrong
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote
I really wanted to like this because of the premise and characters, but the first episode didn't work out so well for me. I suspected there would be trouble when, while the MC was talking about his haircutting history, they pulled the old "pan over filtered stillframe flashback" trick in a lazy and annoyingly overt attempt to covey a sense of drama. Given what was revealed later, I understood what they were trying to do, but it would have seemed so much more natural as part of an animated flashback with his dialogue serving as narration.

Of course, that alone was trivial, but it was all downhill from there. The point where it completely went off a cliff was when he keeps trying out all these various scissors that he's already been told won't work, when right there he already has the very thing he's always used before and has been itching to use again for years. While blending shears really aren't the right tool for the task, apparently they were always good enough for him before, and even good enough for spoiler[someone to chop up bodies with], but suddenly he completely forgets about them, simply because the plot says he must.

After that I was frustrated, which triggered my nit-picking mode, so it was impossible to enjoy the rest of the episode even if I normally would have. Hopefully my irritation will have died down by the time I watch the next episode, so that it can get a fair chance. It could very well be one of those series that takes a little bit to find its legs, and it would be an interesting one for me if it does so.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
that was interesting, i look forward to the rest of the show and the spoiler[cursed weapons] that will probably show up
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
This was weird. This was REALLY weird. I mean, hair fetishes? Rom-com? Serial killer descendants with cursed weapons?...
I think I love this show so far Anime hyper

Given the ending, Im wondering which direction this will take. Will it be more a RomCom with really strange fetishes a la Mysterious Girlfriend X? Or is gonna be more a violent Battle Royale game of serial killers fighting each other (Future Diary?) with RomCom undertones?

Strange as this show is, its got me hooked so far, I really wanna see where this can go
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone catch what spoiler[murder] Kiri is descended from? The name was on the website and it didn't appear to be Japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 19