• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prince of Thieves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:54 am Reply with quote
I think Tuor is right. I am pretty sure he understands that people are going to get hurt and that he can handle it better. I think that line of thinking says a few things, one, that he does want to get close to people because he is willing to get hurt for them, two, that he is a fool, because no one can live that way forever, and three, he is a fool again because others still get hurt regardless of his intentions to keep them from that.

I love the guy, but he is a fool. I might love him more for that actually.

Anyways, I love this anime. I had forgotten it was getting another season and is the only thing this spring season I am really looking forward to. Smile
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:50 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 2:
Tbh, I think that was the spoiler[best and perhaps only way the "confession" would of worked out. It was hinted already that Ebina wanted Hachiman and the others to intervene. And imo, I think Hachiman did a good job at that. I think Ebina just isn't ready about it yet although there's open possibilities in the future. ]

Good episode overall. Really loved the dialogues at the end again by Hachiman in classic style.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:46 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2

So the group of 4 except for spoiler[Tobe were pretty much hoping that Hachiman would do that]? It was why Hayama was spoiler[apologising so much, why the girl took a jab at him]. It was Yukino and Yui who were spoiler[upset over it as they know that he is more fragile than he looks and that getting turned down, even if both parties know that it is fake, would be painful to him]. He was pretty good at making it spoiler[look like it did not affect him, even with all the inner dialogue, but it did].

Also looked like Ebina is quite similar to Hachiman, she feels similar to him as spoiler[being too rotten to have something work out]. There has to be some irony as the very fact they are spoiler[worried about some other person getting hurt might be especially pure]. Ebina's comment was along the lines that spoiler[they could be rotten together, but similarly he is afraid of things changing and thinks low of self].
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
That was a bit confusing to me, but my take, I think, was that spoiler[Yui was upset seeing him confess to someone else, even knowing he didn't mean it, and Yukino was mad that he didn't realize it would upset Yui.] Maybe. I dunno.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
It hurts to watch 8man spoiler[take the fall for others; his self-sacrificial methods doesn't offer him anything but negatives. C'mon, dude, how else are people going to grow without suffering themselves!? ] I get that he's fulfilling people's requests but people ought try to solve their own problems before consulting others for aid (this is just my way of thinking). This small rant aside, I found it quite interesting how Hayama and Blonde Ice Queen spoiler[wished to maintain the status quo and agreed 8man's criticism of how shallow their relationship is because of this. I can see how the confession would drive a nail into the 4's relationship and make things awkward but that only makes me agree more with 8man's assertion that theire relationship is kind of shallow.] Maybe I didn't learn the lesson of this arc (it's just like me to miss out on the important things!).

DuskyPredator wrote:
Ebina's comment was along the lines that spoiler[they could be rotten together, but similarly he is afraid of things changing and thinks low of self].

I read bits of the LN alongside the airing of the first season and I think it hints that Ebina spoiler[is a fujoshi. I don't recall any examples from the first season but in the first episode of the second season, her comment on the "guys" (subottom, etc.) and 8man's interpretation of it seem to support my theory.] Or y'know, I could just be over-analyzing everything.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Ebina's comment was along the lines that spoiler[they could be rotten together, but similarly he is afraid of things changing and thinks low of self].

I read bits of the LN alongside the airing of the first season and I think it hints that Ebina spoiler[is a fujoshi. I don't recall any examples from the first season but in the first episode of the second season, her comment on the "guys" (subottom, etc.) and 8man's interpretation of it seem to support my theory.] Or y'know, I could just be over-analyzing everything.

She is definitely a fujoshi, it is not even a spoiler. Season 1 had her screaming about love between dudes, and she got the class to put on some sort of fujoshi play. I am pretty sure it was "fujoshi" that means spoiler[rotten, and it is probably that trait which is why she feels a relationship won't work]. And it is why she spoiler[appreciates her current group of friends that accept her from hints that she has been al]one.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:27 am Reply with quote
Finally got to watch Ep 2... And I think Hatchi's opportunities to use his usual methods of "fixing" things are coming to an end. He might be able to handle the pain he causes himself, but I don't think he'll be able to handle causing pain to others around him (namely Yukino and Yui). This time around, I got the sense that the aftermath got to him more than usual (certainly more than the time with the kids at summer camp and probably more than the school festival).

It's interesting watching the two girls and the different way they're establishing relationships with Hatchiman. While Yui's methods seem pretty obvious and straightforward, Yukino is acting on a much more subtle level. I'm looking forward to see what's going to happen next episode, as it looks like it'll be more focused on Yukino.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
The thing is, spoiler[Hachiman didn't take a fall with anyone except Yui and Yukino, and I'm puzzled as to why they are so upset. If he had further alienated himself from everyone then I could understand their anger towards him. What he did at the school festival was a classic example, where he made himself out to be the bad guy in order to protect the incompetent girl from criticism. Yui and Yukino didn't like watching their friend willingly get ostracised, even if it was for a good cause.]

But in this instance spoiler[no-one got hurt, and besides Yui and Yukino, no-one has any hard feelings; not even Tobe. So he hasn't harmed his own standing, just told a little white lie that kept everyone happy. Except of course the two girls, who are angry with him for no reason. Oh, and he's also angry at himself, even though he didn't do anything to embarrass himself or harm him own reputation. Weird.]

So yeah, there's a disconnect here between the incident and the resulting anger.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
But in this instance spoiler[no-one got hurt, and besides Yui and Yukino, no-one has any hard feelings; not even Tobe. So he hasn't harmed his own standing, just told a little white lie that kept everyone happy. Except of course the two girls, who are angry with him for no reason. Oh, and he's also angry at himself, even though he didn't do anything to embarrass himself or harm him own reputation. Weird.]

So yeah, there's a disconnect here between the incident and the resulting anger.

Do you honestly think that spoiler[Hachiman was not hurt]? Those who have got to really know him should spoiler[pick up that he kind of has trauma with confessing, Yukino even kind of made it a joke at his expense in the previous episode]. But even with jokes Yui and Yukino both spoiler[know that Hachiman is actually quite fragile, he was not okay with it, Yui and Yukino were frustrated that he hurt himself].
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:51 am Reply with quote
I agree with DuskyPredator on this one. Hatchiman may have played it off as if it were no big deal to him, but it was. Even if spoiler[he was doing something that everyone said they wanted, they were all *using* him to an end, and he *allowed* them to use him. In essence, the unspoken point was "this is ideally suited for Hatchiman because he's made for situations like this", with the implication that he's not much good for anything else but getting rejected by girls or other forms of emotional punishment. It is the fact that he so readily accepts this that upsets Yui and Yukino.]

Much of what Ebina said about herself at the end could also be applied to Hatchiman, and this is made more plain by Hatchiman's internal dialog at the time.

So I don't think Yui and Yukina's reaction was excessive and, as I said earlier, I think Hatchiman is going to have to work out a different way to solving issues in the future.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Hatchiman may have played it off as if it were no big deal to him, but it was.

Correct, but what made it even more interesting is that he really didn't have any real interest spoiler[in being with Ebina.] What hurt was the a priori assertion, unavoidable in this situation, that he could never possibly be with her or for that matter any girl.

And that is what is keeping him keep Yui at arm's length. He knows she isn't repulsed by him but the possibility no matter how slight that he could become emotionally invested only to be rejected again is just too painful to contemplate for him.

Come to think of it this is probably why we see him able to respond to Totsuka so easily. He doesn't have any real desire for that to go anywhere so rejection wouldn't mean as much.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The thing is....

The way I see it, Yui was hurt because spoiler[ she likes him a bit and it's hard to see someone you like get hurt. Even if 8man didn't like Ebina, getting rejected still hurts. (and in the LN it hurt him a bit)
Yukino because he basically sacrificed himself to save a bunch of shallow relationships without any concerns of how his friends (her and Yui) would feel. It's the idea that he values a 'phony' groups friendship over his own pride that pisses her off. ]
No one wants to see their friend embarrass themselves for the sake of people you don't collectively care for.
Prince of Thieves

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
Everyone keeps saying he is "fragile." I would agree that he probably did not enjoy spoiler[getting rejected] but I would not call Hachiman fragile, to go through all that he has you develop some crazy strength. I am not saying the way he does things is good for him or right, but he is not fragile. The main reason I love this show is because of his opposite attitude compared to every other harem protagonist.
Having said all that, I do hope that Yui and/ or Yukino break him out of his depression eventually and this can end "happily ever after."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:35 am Reply with quote
What I meant by fragile is not that he will break and fall apart easily, but that he is quite easily affected by others, possibly more than others. If he actually was the jerk that he acts like then he would not be nearly as perceptive as he is, his hate everyone and cynical look is a defence against being hurt. His comments telling girls not to be so friendly to him from the fact it is very easy for him to misinterpret affection. It has caused him to take on the rough exterior that most see, and that comes down that he is actually deathly afraid of rejection. It has previously had him pretty much turn down the relationship he was building with Yui because his thought was that her interest was out of guilt, that it was not an interest in him and thus would eventually become a rejection to who he is.

He is easily affected by others, but that does not make him weak, he is strong for still going.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
His comments telling girls not to be so friendly to him from the fact it is very easy for him to misinterpret affection. It has caused him to take on the rough exterior that most see, and that comes down that he is actually deathly afraid of rejection.

I think you have Hachiman pegged just right but it makes me wonder what he would have done had Ebina said something like "I always dreamed you would say something like that -- let's go out!"

Sooner or later Yui is going to confess or pressure him into doing it. It's a toss-up as to which happens. I just hope they don't take the Hanagai ending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 19