• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
Yea, I found the whole brainstorming thing to be quite stupid but funny at the same time. spoiler[Stupid because it reminds me of how students try to coat their sentences with fanciful words that it comes out as almost un-naturalistic speech (which I admit myself to be guilty of sometimes). Those dudes speaking totally had an aura of pretentiousness with their vocabulary and excessive hand gestures. I had no idea what they were talking about the entire time and just went along with what they said which is what Iroha did. 8man's internal thoughts, however, made the scene quite funny by pointing out how circular the whole brainstorming session really was.]

@DP, I certainly share your frustrations with how the meeting turned out. I was hoping for someone spoiler[to break the ice by speaking up. Granted, 8man attempted to do so but it went in through one ear and out the other. Or more like the whole message got processed out differently.]

Overall, I do like how they're making use of Iroha's character by spoiler[giving her more screentime and developing her; they've given a lot of details about her] and I wasn't sure if I would enjoy her character but now I find myself quite liking her. As for the Yukino-Yui-8man issue, I hope that resolves quickly. Things definitely felt awkward around them when seen through 8man's perspective.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
I'm getting traumatic flashbacks to "leadership" courses in business school.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote
As far as I can tell, it seems like the high schoolers are trying to come up with ideas that make the event look bigger, and are then handing off all the actual work to the middle schoolers, which is why the rest of the student council seems so unhappy.

I'm sure Hatchiman will figure out a way to fix things, but what will really be telling is what method he uses to do it. Hatchiman seems to feel that he needs to fix some of the things he has brought about, starting with the student council president (he basically put her in that position), and then, I would assume, Yukino, though *that* one will likely be much tougher.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:59 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised they weren't handing out business cards during that brainstorming session. Very Happy The whole scene was pure genius. Killing time by saying nothing while sounding like you might be saying something is an art, and the writers nailed it.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
^ I loved it so much, actually watched it twice. The chemistry between Isshiki and Hikigaya was nice too.

It helps to make all the awkward and painful moments bearable. Really well done.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
That Kaori keeps showing up like a bad penny, doesn't she?

Actually I am sort of surprised that Yui and Yukino let Hachiman unilaterally declare that they weren't going to take Iroha's request. Yui wanted to do it and Yukino was on the fence. Hachiman pushed her out the door.

That business where Hachiman becomes able to adopt the other meeting's affectations: classic. It has a feeling to it that the original writer was trying to lampoon someone he/she knew personally.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 7:

Ah, this episode was funnier than I had thought but overall was good with the balance of the melancholic mood near the end. For one thing, I find it even more amusing for the spoiler[brainstorming session involving the student council this week (oh and WB finger movements). ]

Then, there's the return of the spoiler[kids from one of the previous episodes. The girl folding the star (I forget her name) reminds me a little of Hachiman himself in terms of personality.]

spoiler[Kaori's presence in this episode also seems somewhat odd imo. If I was Hachiman, I'd feel the same way in the rain at that moment. And finally, we get some Hachiman/Yukino moments. Yukino obviously knows what Hachiman has been doing from the beginning when he got involved. Ah, looking forward to next episode.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 7

"Preach it!" Talk about annoying. But it also seems that Kaori might be somewhat uncomfortable with how she previously laughed at him when it is clear here that he is getting along with Isshiki.

I think one of the most noticeable parts continues to be Isshiki, she is spoiler[quite out of her depth, she knows it, and it is stressing her out which is why he had to go find her]. She jumped spoiler[at getting the kids something to do, because it was something she actually could], and that also brings up something else. They brought spoiler[kids into it without knowing what they hell they were doing], actually kind of impressive.

What I also felt was that Hachiman needs to get Yukino, he has some great work at making the best of a situation, but he fails actually trying to force the hand of a group the way needed.

I really need Yui, I am liking Isshiki way too much. The parts of her telling him off for supposed hitting on her is actually likable now, I think proof that she at least respects him. And the talk of points... wait points was also brought up with his sister? Is there a strange similarity between the two?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
God, I hope this arc wraps up soon. The last two eppies have overly established a boring problem. Okay, so the other school's council is filled with annoying types who use empty jargon to disguise the fact they have no real ideas and who use the whole "bullshit baffles brains" thing to push work onto our heroes. Took me two seconds to see what was going on and then I had to plow through (what seemed like) hours of detail to "develop" that premise. And over the course of two eppies, Hachiman has not been able to devise a strategy to counter that simple problem? Oi.

Meanwhile, one of the few things I actually do care about - the rift between Hachiman and Yukino - gets pretty short shrift so that the show can spend a ton of time pounding home a point I got in two seconds.

Anyway, I'm trying to get the word out about a change in ANN policy regarding using spoiler tags when discussing events in an episode that has aired. Assuming you are posting in a discussion thread dedicated to the show, you no longer need to use spoiler tags to discuss stuff that happened in episodes that have aired.

Obviously, you still have to spoiler tag stuff from source material (and identify it as such) or if you discuss events from a DIFFERENT show.

Link that explains the above and other stuff about how to use spoiler tags correctly
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised by just how much we've learned about Isshiki, just by seeing her interact with her peers. Her character development is handled in a very similar way to Yui's from Season One (although, obviously, she's a very different character):

-In the first three episodes of Season One, we learned about Yui by seeing her interact with Yukino, Hachiman, Yumiko, and Yoshiteru. She was deferential to people she respected, like Yumiko and Yukino... almost to the point of hero worship. Her interactions with them taught us all about her self-confidence problems, as well as her goals and her sense of self-worth. We learned that she values honesty over kindness, and that she doesn't mind being treated poorly if it leads to her improving herself. Contrast that with how Isshiki doesn't want the people she adores, like Hayato, to shoulder her burdens... although she's more than willing to treat Tobe as her packmule.

-From these interactions, we are able to tell how Yui and Isshiki view Hachiman, as well as how their view of him changes over time. Initially, Isshiki treats Hachiman like an assistant. She has no problem with him carrying her shopping bags, for instance. Later, you see her gradually trying to keep Hachiman from taking her shopping bags from her... she doesn't want to burden him with what she sees as her responsibilities.

-On the other hand, characters like Yukino and Saki are developed completely differently. We don't really understand Yukino or Saki until we understand their family: the people who are responsible - either intentionally or unintentionally - for molding these girls into the people they are today. We don't need to know about Isshiki or Yui's family in order to understand what makes them tic... in fact, we barely know anything about Yui's family, and we know nothing about Isshiki's home life.

-This makes Yukino and Saki less dynamic characters than Isshiki or Yui. If you've heard the saying that "women in traditional narratives are, while women in feminist narratives act", you can think of this distinction in a similar way. For the most part, Isshiki and Yui have pushed Hachiman's narrative forward by acting in response to the situation, while Hachiman has pushed the narrative forward by acting in response to Yukino and Saki... Yukino and Saki are the situation. Obviously, there are some exceptions to this, and I don't mean to imply that Yukino isn't a feminist character, or that Isshiki is... I just think that Yukino isn't a character with agency. After all, doesn't she prefer to let others act for her?
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 8:

All I have to say for this episode...is the feels hit hard home even for Hachiman. Might rewatch it again later but that was quite an emotional ride of an episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
Perhaps because I have a headache, but some things were a little tougher to follow than usual. A lot of what the teacher said boiled down to that spoiler[he should think harder, but that the important thing was to consider how he feels about Yui and Yukino, that what he wants might mean he has to let them get hurt (be involved)]. Hachiman spoiler[opened himself up that he is actually going to ask for help from them, that he wants something "genuine" too, and it pretty much freaks Yukino out over what genuine means]. Hachiman's emotion was tough, and they are finally moving past everything.

Also, cool teacher is cool.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
I found this a very satisfying episode. Yes, the convo with the teacher went on too long considering the simplicity of her message. That's a failing of this show. It can't stand not to reiterate 18 times what you all ready know (when it is not being obtuse, of course, which is often).

However, finally, finally, finally I get what I've been waiting for - for Hachiman to finally reach out and acknowledge that Yuki and Yukino are his friends, are important to him and worth taking the risk of being emotionally rejected. I'm happy.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I found this a very satisfying episode. Yes, the convo with the teacher went on too long considering the simplicity of her message. That's a failing of this show. It can't stand not to reiterate 18 times what you all ready know (when it is not being obtuse, of course, which is often).

I am happy she grew out of her I-didn't-like-what-he-said-so-I-will-slug-him-in-the-stomach phase. She started out that way and I had to groan -- it's going to be that type of anime. Fortunately it wasn't.

Hachiman should have teased her with her attractiveness more. It was sort of accidental when he did it. The (still young) lady needs it and it is really sad to see someone so gifted become so desperate to get married. A real turn-off for everyone but the wrong sort of male.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
On a totally different note, I found it kind of interesting that the teacher was driving an Aston Martin with left-hand drive. I found it a bit unusual since that Aston Martins being British cars would be right-hand drive just like Japanese cars would be. I just thought it pretty interesting that the teacher's is one made for export to the parts of the world that use left-hand drive cars, like the US or Europe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 19