• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3 (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote

Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3 (TV) (aka: Stella Jo-Gakuin C3-Bu)

Plot Summary: Yura Yamato has just arrived at the high school division of Stella Women's Academy, when Sonora Kashima invites her to join a club called "C³". Sonora is the third-year student who became the new head of this club for military survival games. The other members include two second-year students (part-Japanese Karila Hatsuse and G36K-wielding Honoka Mutsu) and two other new students (Rento Kirishima whose family runs a Japanese sweets shop and the really short Yachiyo Hinata).

Episode 1

So this is cute girls doing cute things right? Lol, no. Actually I think they even made a joke about it that Yura thought they just eat cake and drink tea instead of doing actual club activities, possibly a jab at K-ON. Military and cute girls can mix, and this is the latest attempt since Girls Und Panzer managed to be quite successful. Starting with our lead, Yura, she seems rather interesting, perhaps describe her as introverted yet imaginative, she seemed to sneak a yuri like fantasy in there, but going Rambo in her room was amusing. The rest of girls seem great too, there is something satisfying about seeing them into the military stuff, that they can have fun with it. I am generally reminded of a certain tank geek. Sadly I was not able to remember any of their names, there were too many at once

The first episode was okay, the mock battle was not anything spectacular, but I would guess they are trying to hold their hand at the moment, but at the same time it was enjoyable with a shaky camera sort of style. I plan on watching more. They were implying the last girl has a big personality, which I hope is so.

Also on the reference angle, it seems they think that they can control her with cake, like a certain kouhai of the "nyan" nickname type, although it is actually an aversion.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote
I was more amused than I thought I would be. I was also surprised that it "looked" a lot more Gainex then I have felt a lot of the more recent Gainex anime have. The character designs and mannerisms have an interesting Nadia feel about them which I enjoyed.

I'll definitely stick with this, but I can't forsee it hitting as big as Girls Und Panzer. I feel like C3-bu is almost playing it too straight, where Girls Und Panzer just went balls out and lampshaded everything that didn't make sense.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
Pretty good actually. I always enjoy a refreshing series like this with cute girls armed with deadly weapons. Oh and I got some Upotte + GnP vibes from it.

The OP song was also good imo with the artwork.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote

An awkward girl get into a new school with big expectations.
Damn, that club sure has some weird interests.
Has an interesting theme, but I wasn't into Girls & Panzer or Upotte.
So I think I'll skip this one and leave it to the guys LOL
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
This one's a keeper. great first episode. I like Yura's fantasies

Last edited by getchman on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The first episode was okay, the mock battle was not anything spectacular. ..

Really? Watch it again and this time pay attention to the animation in it. It's actually quite amazing in that regard, and the way they maintained the enormous cuteness of the girls while still having them engage convincingly in a very realistic-looking simulated combat exercise mightily impressed me.

Of the 16 shows I've previewed so far this season, this one has far and away the most impressive and entertaining first episode. It's the only show so far that's absolutely guaranteed to be on my "must follow" list. (Although the new Fate/ series will almost certainly make the cut, too, unless it totally sucks.)

EDIT: Okay, so Blood Lad is also guaranteed to make my list, now that I've seen it.

Last edited by Key on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
This one took me by surprise with its unique spin on the "gal pals" approach to high school slice-of-life titles. Gainax has been known to twist convention with many of their titles and this one got me giddy thanks to the surprising twists it had with the airsoft gun club. As long as the series retains its style of humor and doesn't lay out too much early, this should make for a fun comedy title for the Summer lineup for me.

Thankful I caught Key's review on it before he pulled it or else I wouldn't have looked into it. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
casualfan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed the first episode. The characters are really likable and the shooting scenes are quite fun if not cliche. I'm surprised that they actually used the name "Rambo" here as that could breach some copyrights. Definitely looking forward to episode 2.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to see what Yura's roommate is going to be like, but we've already been given some ideas.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:12 am Reply with quote
Definitely liked the first episode and looking forward to the intro of Yura's roomie. Damn, there's some good stuff this summer season.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
This wasn't even on my watch-list for this season at first, but I thought that the first episode was highly enjoyable. Can't wait to see the next episode.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Yura is so adorable when she gets shy and starts twirling her hair. The new girl is voiced by my favorite VA Smile.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
That yellow dress is adorable. Nice match, this episode was excellent and reminded me of the awesomeness GnP delivered as well.

WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Yura is so adorable when she gets shy and starts twirling her hair. The new girl is voiced by my favorite VA Smile.

Same VA as Kokoro Connect's Inaba. I just love her style.

Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I strongly approve of episode 2's contents. Well, for some reason the animation didn't seem as consistently good, but I actually consider that a minor quibble.

Loving this show and 2 awesome eps in a row confirms it's made my "watch every week without fail" list.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

WhiteHairGirls wrote:

Same VA as Kokoro Connect's Inaba. I just love her style.

Yup I became a fan of her after watching Kokoro Connect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9