• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Art Crisis

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
I really want Fate/Extra CCC to come over here, but I'm not holding my breath. The PSP is dead in America now, so they'd have to do a digital only release... and games like this often do best with the limited editions. I'm not sure if it would really be financially viable for Aksys.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
But hey, look at the bright side, at least they're bringing out Sweet Fuse: At Your Side in both formats (Retail and Digital), so not all is lost.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Shin Megami Tense IV: At some point down the line, I need to consider getting a 3DS. I've been missing out on too much.

Atelier Escha & Logy: Meanwhile, in Arland...I'm not done yet. This sounds like it'll be a neat entry in the Atelier series though. Switching up protagonists was sort of touched upon in Iris 2, but it didn't have any differing effect on plot progression. It will be interesting to see how this one does it (and with a male protagonist in this style of Atelier rather than the story-oriented games we got).

Gaist Crusher: Of course it's marketed towards the youth of Japan. Brats in the U.S. will probably comment on how ridiculous his outfit looks or something usually that shallow.

Super Robot Wars UX: There was a SD Gundam 00 movie? I want to see that. It must have been hilarious.

Sword Art Online: I've only heard and seen small posts, but what is everyone's hangup with this anime anyway? Some love it and a lot hate it. I don't get it. Is the first half good and the second half unbearable or something?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Sword Art Online: I've only heard and seen small posts, but what is everyone's hangup with this anime anyway? Some love it and a lot hate it. I don't get it. Is the first half good and the second half unbearable or something?

It suffers from one of those "interesting setup and world, but lousy execution" dilemmas. The premise and world are interesting, but then rules keep getting broken, the second half doesn't have the same level of stakes as the first had, and it seems like author picked the wrong story in the world to tell.

Anyway, I'm bracing for NIS to troll us spectacularly with the aforementioned Asagi title. If they aren't though...then holy crap, apparently she finally beat down Zetta and got her game.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
It suffers from one of those "interesting setup and world, but lousy execution" dilemmas. The premise and world are interesting, but then rules keep getting broken, the second half doesn't have the same level of stakes as the first had, and it seems like author picked the wrong story in the world to tell.

Ah so the ol' good idea, bad presentation syndrome. I heard there was also some "questionable content" in the second half.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I really want Fate/Extra CCC to come over here, but I'm not holding my breath. The PSP is dead in America now, so they'd have to do a digital only release... and games like this often do best with the limited editions. I'm not sure if it would really be financially viable for Aksys.

They've released two Hakouki games with physical copies.
They've got some other otome game called Sweet Fuses getting a physical release.

I really doubt Aksys is worried about that kind of thing. The LE and shelf space for a physical release (considering most stores don't carry PSP games anymore) might be a little difficult however.

belvadeer wrote:

Super Robot Wars UX: There was a SD Gundam 00 movie? I want to see that. It must have been hilarious.

SD Gundam 00? There was one for Season 2 and the movie, if I remember correctly. The alien thing was actually first in the SD Season 2 trailer.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
So far, the Atelier series has done multiple Main Characters a few different ways. Mana Khemia 2 had two different rival workshops in the same school, with a combination of separate events, and common events viewed from different points of view. You choose which character to run with. Then, after completing one story line, you can go back and do the other. Atelier Iris 2 had a stay-at-home female character and a travelling male character, that you would switch between as needed or desired. Eventually, the female character also travelled. Atelier Marie & Elie seems to be just a compilation of Atelier Marie and Atelier Elie. And Atelier Marie, Elie, and Anis has the alchemists working together, with options to split them up between gathering and synthesis, or keep them together.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

Ah so the ol' good idea, bad presentation syndrome. I heard there was also some "questionable content" in the second half.

Interesting idea, generic and horrid execution.

For the questionable content, in the second half spoiler[Asuna becomes a damsel in distress, and as part of that she gets molested my tentacles at one point and sexually assaulted/molested by the villain a number of other times.]

DavidShallcross wrote:
So far, the Atelier series has done multiple Main Characters a few different ways. Mana Khemia 2 had two different rival workshops in the same school, with a combination of separate events, and common events viewed from different points of view. You choose which character to run with. Then, after completing one story line, you can go back and do the other. Atelier Iris 2 had a stay-at-home female character and a travelling male character, that you would switch between as needed or desired. Eventually, the female character also travelled. Atelier Marie & Elie seems to be just a compilation of Atelier Marie and Atelier Elie. And Atelier Marie, Elie, and Anis has the alchemists working together, with options to split them up between gathering and synthesis, or keep them together.

The traditional and typical style is a single female main lead though. The Iris games were an attempt to turn the franchise into a more typical RPG, so of course they went with a male lead for those (and they were all mediocre to crap). The Mana Khemia games were in some ways more like a typical Atelier game than the Iris games but they dropped the Atelier name, so its little surprise that people tend to ignore or forget about those when talking about Atelier games.

In any case, the majority of Atelier games have a female lead, and all of the ones that are of the traditional Atelier style of game do, so this is still an unusual approach for this franchise. And hopefully its just something they're doing for this game and they'll go back to the female-lead only again.
terminus24

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm really wondering what will make SMTIV worth the extra $10, as that's absolutely unheard of for 3DS games and I believe previous First Print LE SMT sets that just included a soundtrack cost the same as the regular editions, and I'd also find it odd for there only to be a LE release and not a normal priced release with just the game... Whatever, we'll find out soon enough...

Anyways, excited for SMTIV, I like both the Persona and Devil Survivor spinoffs, and I've preordered Soul Hackers, so I'm glad I'll finally get to play a main SMT game.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Atelier Escha & Logy gets compared to Mana Khemia 2, but that's not a coincidence. The first prints of the game in Japan comes with a PSN code for Mana Khemia 2.

Quote:
and the game has the detailed character models typical of other Atelier games on the PlayStation 3.

Kinda. The new game improves greatly on what we've seen from the previous PS3 Atelier games. Escha & Logy uses the Shin Sengoku Musou engine which has greatly improved the graphics. All of the character models have this great hand drawn quality to them now. The new engine also allows for lip syncing to the dialog, eyes have better expression, and the battle system allows up to six people in a party. The game is going to be amazing, I just hope KT doesn't botch the release for this one like they did with Ayesha and Totori Plus.

As for Fate/Extra CCC, my copy should be here any day now. Call me crazy, but I really bought it for the figure and bonus stuff. Very Happy

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

Yeah, it almost feels like they didn't go back and do another draft of the original outline. There are some REALLY interesting elements to it, but unfortunately it just stumbles time and time again.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
For the questionable content, in the second half spoiler[Asuna becomes a damsel in distress, and as part of that she gets molested my tentacles at one point and sexually assaulted/molested by the villain a number of other times.]

Wait, what? Why would they even put that in? O_o

Lynx Amali wrote:
SD Gundam 00? There was one for Season 2 and the movie, if I remember correctly. The alien thing was actually first in the SD Season 2 trailer.

Just to confirm, we're talking about super deformed, right?

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
gorilla491

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
That Gaist Crusher. Hmmm...so are more Japanese companies only going to focus on Japan now? I mean they always used to do that. But particularly with Capcom, are they going to constantly re release sequels to that game and fragment everything up that led to Megaman getting essentially messed up today?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Quote:
and the game has the detailed character models typical of other Atelier games on the PlayStation 3.

Kinda. The new game improves greatly on what we've seen from the previous PS3 Atelier games. Escha & Logy uses the Shin Sengoku Musou engine which has greatly improved the graphics. All of the character models have this great hand drawn quality to them now. The new engine also allows for lip syncing to the dialog, eyes have better expression, and the battle system allows up to six people in a party. The game is going to be amazing, I just hope KT doesn't botch the release for this one like they did with Ayesha and Totori Plus.

I hope they incorporate the turn-based battle system found in Mana Khemia. That nearly solved the "arbitrary headcount" which tends to put into odds between the story and gameplay, and I loved the idea that the back-up group can jump in to attack or support.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Just to confirm, we're talking about super deformed, right?

There was a short released in between the gap between Season 1 and 2 as well as Season 2 and the movie. They were parodies but SD nonetheless. The alien thing that became prominent in the film actually debuted in the Season 2 trailer.

Link for that same trailer.

Very similiar to the Character Theater that SEED and Destiny had.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2