• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragonball 20th Anniversary

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
My God, it's only been 20 years?

I don't know whether I should be happy or said that I'm 3 months older than the Dragonball franchise.
DBW

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
The source of the news is www.kanzentai.com (not www,kazentai.com )... Wink You can get more details on the events over there.

But yeah, DragonBall is getting pretty old. Still a great series, which deserves a lot more respect than it's credited for these days. I just wish I was there so I could take a look around the museum, buy some cool limited edition merchandise, and maybe take a ride on the Going Merry while I'm at it! Razz
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
DBW wrote:
The source of the news is www.kanzentai.com (not www,kazentai.com )...

Fixed.

<sigh> Event ends August 31, I would have liked to have gone and taken some picture, but I won't be in Tokyo till September 17...

-t
matthewlow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow.

I wish I was in Tokyo right now. I'm sure an event all Dragon Ball like this would beat any animecon here, at least for me. Too bad nothing like this would ever hit the US.

Although I'd love to see pictures, it might depress me even more that I'm not there seeing it for myself.
T0FFe3m@n

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I take it there will be no OVA/Movie like they had for the 10th Anniversary this time around..
Raoh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
As a person who got his start into anime via some Japanese friends and a raw tape of a DBZ movie back in '94, this makes me feel happy, aswell as nostalgic.

I'd have love to seen this, personally, like Tempest.

It's unfortunate that they only plan to run it such a short amount of time.

These days, the Dragon Ball series doesn't get alot of credit or respect due to its high syndication. However, more than enough people, when they are willing to admit it, will tell you they got their start with DB.

I, personally, am proud of the fact. Though I did enjoy the original Dragon Ball more than DBZ and GT (Toriyama made it so funny, and yet retained the solid plot and action), I am sure most people will just say they like DBZ for the fighting.

I'd like to see an interview with Toriyama, I am interested in knowing his feelings and thoughts on DB's immense popularity, and how it has turned 20. I'm sure he'd be proud of his work.

Oh, and yeah, I'd love to check out the Going Merry. That looks so awesome. Very Happy
Chris316

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Without Dragonball, many anime or manga would not exist.

One Piece and Naruto have been influenced by Dragonball in one way in their stories.

Congratulations Dragonball. Toriyama, you created a world that no one will do again.

KAMEHAMEHA to everyone.
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Chris316 wrote:

One Piece and Naruto have been influenced by Dragonball in one way in their stories.

Congratulations Dragonball. Toriyama, you created a world that no one will do again.

KAMEHAMEHA to everyone.

Er.... you do realize that you just blew up a few planets and a small moon in the orbit of Jupiter? Good goin Anime hyper

Ill second that, I too got my start with first pokemon, and then Dragonball. Z had its good parts, but when toriyama sold off the seriese in GT, it wasnt worth it anymore. Love myself some good old Goku though. Very tasty ^^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LightNightmare148

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow.. I would do anything to attend that event. It would be a lifetime experience...

I can't believe Dragonball Z is 20 years old and it's still pretty strong in many countries on Earth. No other anime will ever achieve that, I'm sure. Pokemon is starting to get old and DBZ, after 20 years of existance, is still fresh in my opinion.

Thank you Akira Toriyama for making this great series. Smile We hardcore Dragonball fans cannot thank you enough for making this super awesome series.

I just wish I could say that in front of him, though. Anime hyper
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Chris316 wrote:

KAMEHAMEHA to everyone.

In Ranma 1/2 they made a dragon ball refferance, it was when that cheerleader was attacking Ranma with her baton and it extended. Inthe manga it even said it was a dragonball refferance. I think it was in Vol 19 or 20, I forget.

Dragon ball is great anime! I think it is the best one in the series, it's a shame I'm not in Tokyo but I'm sure they will have something for their 25th in five years. Astro boy is an old anime, I think it was made in the 60s.
Phoeptar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:19 pm Reply with quote
another fan here who too got his start thanks to pirated tapes from my neighbor who when he moved in next door had already seen the whole DB and DBZ series in the philipines, as young kids thats all we talked about, dragonball z was the greatest thing for us to watch, though looking back you see how childish it was, but hey if not for that I would not be the cravy anime fan i am now, hey I might actually have a life that doesn't revolve around my anime addiction, jesus thats a scary though Smile

Happy 20th Dragonball!
milcor1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:03 am Reply with quote
Long live Dragonball. Got me into reading, got me into fantasy, got me into manga, got me into alot things growing up in Japan. I'll treasure all 42 of my volumes forever.
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
Why are people even mentioning Toriyama and GT in the same sentence? He did several character designs, no other involvement far as writing or "selling off" the series.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:41 am Reply with quote
LightNightmare148 wrote:
I can't believe Dragonball Z is 20 years old and it's still pretty strong in many countries on Earth. No other anime will ever achieve that, I'm sure.

Sailormoon! The manga is 13 years old now, so it's not too far behind Dragon Ball and is still pretty strong. It's got the recent live action TV series and re-release of the manga, and the musicals (though they're on some sort of undetermined hiatus right now) to keep it going, aside from reruns of the anime. Anime hyper

Psst, DBZ isn't 20 years old, Dragon Ball is. Razz DBZ is 16 years old. Anime hyper

And I'll.. third, I think, the notion that this would be so awesome to see in person. ;.; I love Dragon Ball.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:55 am Reply with quote
I love Dragonball too. Watching those old episodes and reading those mangas helped me to develop my creativity and defintely got me further into my drawing.

I couldn't tell you how many DB pics I drew in school....

Even after watching 100+ anime titles since then, I still think the Dragonball saga is one of the all-time greatest adventures and it will still be one of my favorites until the end of time.

Now I wish I could tell Akira Toriyama that.... Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2