• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Announces Second Quarter Results

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:47 am Reply with quote
Wow, perfect timing.

I actually had my Stock Broker analyze 4Kids (KDE if your wondering) for me and he listed a few sticking points that 4Kids should look into in order to make some bank:

* Restart their Uncut DVD's and do a similar program done by Disney and a tactic done by Comic Books; target products for Older Audiances. While "US Mom" would balk at paying $60.00 for a Porcelin Bust of Luffy and would be content on letting Jr. get a $2.95 comic and $25 Bedsheets, your older One Piece fan would be more than willing to spend the money to get the Bust. If Comic Books can do it without commiting Age Discrimination, why can't 4Kids?

* Stop using the Marketing Models done by Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. If you notice this lifetime chart that the biggest spikes in 4Kids history to now has been when Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh were at their peak. Now shows such as Winx (which he listed elsewhere as a subtle rip-off of the book series W.I.T.C.H.), One Piece, and Mew Mew Power haven't garnered such results.

* Push for shows with marketable tie-ins like Video Games and TCG's. Pokemon had a double whammy with both a series of sucessful Video Games and CCG's, and Yu-Gi-Oh's core storyline of battles with magical cards helps interest in Konami's release of it's CCG.

Dragonball/DBZ also remains popular due to it's line of Video Games as well.

However, he sees no such luck with One Piece Video Games anytime soon. He believes that if 4Kids left in key scences that mirrors the Video Games (like FUNimation did with DBZ by placing emphasis on battles like in the show), One Piece Video Games might see nominal sales.

Kinda glad I didn't invest, seeing it took a nosedive by the end of Monday.
Serge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Heh, this is great news.

4Kids is the biggest disgrace in the anime industry. FULL STOP.

I don't think that Terrorist guy (Kahn I think...) will get it in this thick head, that No one wants Edited Stuff.

As people said before, I wish they burn in hell.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Congradulations, Serge, you have officially become ignorant and lost any credibility you may have had.

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

While I won't doubt the judgement of you and your peers on this issue, I feel compelled to think that investors are the most panicky people on Earth next to maybe air traffic controllers.

ACDragonMaster wrote:
MugenKeiji wrote:

Some of them are well cast, but I will NOT say David Moo does a good job as Sanji. Eric Stuart would have been better suited.

See, that doesn't make him a bad voice actor. Simply miscast. My point is, people assume that the VAs are *bad*, when they're really quite good, it's just the translation and the directing that's the problem.

Or just misdirected. I haven't heard any of his other work, but I would certainly hope that David Moo has another voice other than that congested baritone. On the other hand, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and the actor is just that stiff.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

While I won't doubt the judgement of you and your peers on this issue, I feel compelled to think that investors are the most panicky people on Earth next to maybe air traffic controllers.

Actually, given that in the past year, when the stock passes $20.50, it always goes down and then slowly creeps back up again. This yo-yo effect makes me, as an investor, really antsy over the financial viablity of 4Kids. Then again, given the data, an investor could theoreticlly buy the stock right now, wait till it reaches a threshold past $20.50, and then sell. BUT, seeing as there are three "Spikes," the chances of profiting from another spike seems to me, not viable.

I seriously believe that unless 4Kids breaks out of the stigma of catering "for kids," thier gonna experence this yo-yo effect. The stock will continue this trend unless Al Khan get's his head outta his collective rear-end and diversifies his holdings. And I don't mean "butchering" another Anime series and pissing off Anime fans even more.
Maceart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:37 am Reply with quote
4kids loses money. While this might not be so great on the business sense, I applaud the fact that it's finally getting the message that 4kids is doing something wrong with the shows they license.

I'm sure you've all heard of the One Piece fiasco, so I won't go there.

Their next show is Ojamajo Doremi. Their press release is already out. Judging on what they are going to do to it, I can already see failure. Changing of names, changing of the story, changing of the OP song, the whole deal. Heck, we'll call it the 4kids skim.

I do not like how 4kids thinks that all American kids are all elitist pro-American culture bastards who can't stand even one bit of "another culture"
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:42 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I don't think anyone's watched Disney tv cartoons since Bonkers, which explains why people stopped watching them. And we all knew how WB ruined the Batman animated series with that cheaply-produced version with awful character designs-not to mention that weak Superman cartoon. Add declining quality writing in later seasons of Animaniacs and that POS Hysteria, and their ratings were pretty much slipping until Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh came along.

Gargoyles was after Bonkers, and shame on you for forgetting that. Wink

But we're not talking about the kids of five or ten years ago, we're taking about the kids of today. And today, there's a few good Disney shows, namely Kim Possible, Lilo and Stitch, American Dragon, and that thing with the flies which is cute but I can't remember the title, and several good Warner Bros shows, such as, um...pretty much any good Cartoon Network original. They come from various studios, but all of them are under the umbrella-and ownership-of Warner Bros. Heck, the "Cartoon Network Studios" logo has "a Time-Warner Company" right on it. And many of them end up on broadcast as well, such as Foster's, Teen Titans and Samurai Jack.

And while I agree with you that The Batman is awful and the Superman cartoon was a letdown (the last two episodes were excellent though) Justice Leauge is one of the best animated shows on TV and no one seems to notice. It's that kind of show-stuff that's intellegent but not complex, that can be enjoyed by kids even while it refines their taste for good storytelling-that networks should be showing kids, instead of shrugging and saying "oh, let's just let 4Kids dumb down that pirate show until it's stupid enough that none of the kids'll have to, you know, think."

Batman: The Animated Series proved that children, when given half a chance, like to be talked up to. They love shows that make them feel smart and grownup. By contrast, 4Kids' mantra seems to be "kids are dumb, so animation should be dumb too." That, for the record, is my central problem with them. We can offer our children much better than what we're giving them; Japan is already doing that, and 4Kids spends thousands trying to undo thier work.

Joe Mello wrote:
Let me try to get in my 2 cents inbetween all the flames.

I like some of Wyvern's commentary, although they aren't really bleeding like fountains, but I digress.

Income getting cut in half is probably not too good, but if you told me that my company was going to make almost $40 Million in 6 months of revenue despite making $45M last year, I don't think I'd be too disappointed.

So they've gone from a good investment to an okay investment. What exactly did they do that was earth-shattering this year? This is just showing that they can't just ride their reliable cash cows anymore. Expect this slope to flatten out, if not go in an upwards direction, sooner than you think.

As an aside, people do know that Viz owns (or are partners with) ShoPro and Shonen Jump, right?

This is me being objective: My guess is that 4Kids will continue to be around but its probably seen its best days. It'll still be with us five years from now, but not in such a spectacular fashion as during the last five years. The days when it could claim to be the king of all kid's media are probably over. It just needs to dial down its expectations a bit. Most media companies are lucky if they ever get one hit on the scale of Yugioh or Pokemon-they got two. Expecting to consistantly churn out smashes like those is wishful thinking; but it doesn't mean they can't still compete. They just can't domniate like they used to anymore.

Akukaze wrote:

I would like to point out that 4Kids anime is the only anime played on basic cable. What happens to "kiddie" anime when 4Kids goes under? Not everyone in America has cable and can watch Toonami. Will another company, this time one with respect for the original, jump up to bring anime to Fox and WB Kids? I doubt it.

Do you live in Canada? If so, you may be right-I have no idea how cable over there works. But in America, that's not quite true. Cartoon Network is a basic cable network on almost every cable system in the country-it'd better be, since it's consistantly one of the highest-rated (if not THE highest rated) cable networks. And it airs plenty of non-4Kids shows. Even discounting Adult Swim, there's DBZ (FUNimation) Gundam Seed and .Hack//DUSK (Bandai) Zatch Bell and Naruto in a month (Viz) Zoids, Transformers Cybertron, and Duel Masters (I dont know who does these, but it's not 4Kids.)

Now it is true that 4Kids is currently the only company providing anime on saturday morning network television-mainly because there are only two programming blocks which show anime at all at that time, and they own one (4Kids TV) outright. The other (KidsWB) would never put on another company's anime, because they're terrified of 4Kids moving the Pokemon and Yugioh cash cows over to their own block.

So if you've only got network TV, your options are pretty much zero, but basic cable's a different story.

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Now shows such as Winx (which he listed elsewhere as a subtle rip-off of the book series W.I.T.C.H.),

Your broker is officially a cool guy. And considering that the Winx girls go to a school for wizards, I think we can consider it a ripoff of not one, but TWO popular book series. Bleh.
nakama

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:12 am Reply with quote
i hope they lose all thier money and al khan has to sleep in a box
this is great news
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:58 am Reply with quote
Didn't you already say that? Go bother someone else who's living a better life than you.

Kids TV seems to be a fickle business, even more so than adult TV. If a show wants to get its foot in the door, it has to provide more than just a good show. There are other things to worry about, like merchandising and parents with sticks up their ends.

I definitely don't think it's easy to create a kid's TV show that can appeal to a broad array of ages. Some people are better at it than others. Not only do you have to be good, you also have to have a mindset that your cartoon won't be just for kids or to capitalize on a popular fad. That's essentially what family entertainment should be all about.

On a lighter note, I was able to catch a bit of Doremi while surfing, and god was that cute and bubbly. It may even be too cute. Al better know how to handle sugar, because this could be a monster.
novaheart

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm mixed about this......my extremist anime fan side says "YES BURN IN HELL 4KIDS! BURN BURN FOR YOUR SINS!!!!!!!!!" my rational side says "Dude.......we need them somewhat"
but i mostly agree, they did a good job on pokemon considering it was made for kids, and somewhat on yugioh......but then they became egotiscal, and americanize everything else, WHICH IS BAD!
In my optionen if 4Kids wants to gain sucess they must kill that kids are dumb mantra, and give some older, mostly unedited anime a chance. also they should think over their VO casting, the VO is good some of the time, but its for the wrong characters (bangs head on hot stove from luffy VO).
Also I don't think WB is afried that they'll pull Pokemon and Yugioh off....its just they're riding it for all its worth for my opetionion. i live in saint louis so 4kids tv on fox is a spit block (starts at 5 am central to 7 am, two hours of animal shows, then 9 am to 11 am) so i can't compare who's watching more.
I think WINX rips off about.......-counts- 6 sources btw
Akukaze

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Akukaze wrote:

I would like to point out that 4Kids anime is the only anime played on basic cable. What happens to "kiddie" anime when 4Kids goes under? Not everyone in America has cable and can watch Toonami. Will another company, this time one with respect for the original, jump up to bring anime to Fox and WB Kids? I doubt it.

Do you live in Canada? If so, you may be right-I have no idea how cable over there works. But in America, that's not quite true. Cartoon Network is a basic cable network on almost every cable system in the country-it'd better be, since it's consistantly one of the highest-rated (if not THE highest rated) cable networks. And it airs plenty of non-4Kids shows. Even discounting Adult Swim, there's DBZ (FUNimation) Gundam Seed and .Hack//DUSK (Bandai) Zatch Bell and Naruto in a month (Viz) Zoids, Transformers Cybertron, and Duel Masters (I don't know who does these, but it's not 4Kids.)

Sorry, I meant network television. I guess that's what I get for not reading over what I type.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
So I have to pay for a boxset just to see it uncut and decide if I want to buy more of it. Way to go, Viz. That's so much better than buying individual discs of a 100+ episode series which are marked down, due to tv exposure.
Viz said that they're considering a 20-30 dollar price point. If you're complaining because a 13 episode set costs 25 dollar, that would make you sir, an idiot.

Quote:
I think that has more to do with the anime in general than how 4Kids handled it.
Are you kidding? The Duel Monsters series follows the manga extremely accurate - heck, it's even darker in some places (manga - Sugoroku gets turned into a video tape, anime - Sugoroku is trapped in a virtual hell. The "Millennium World" arc is supposedly darker in the anime than it was in the manga, too).

Quote:
Actually, since One Piece and Naruto came out here before their respective anime shows, there have been more people in Naruto costumes than One Piece cosplayers. OP is just not that appealing here as it is in Japan, and unfortunately, I don't like the manga myself.
For a short period of time One Piece was getting great ratings on Toonami. They could attract the original fans with a better dub and have that fan base to rely on. The Shonen Jump readers aren't entirely clueless, y'know.

Quote:
DBZ was dubbed and edited, and had way better ratings than OP.
I don't think we've ever met before so I'll let that comment slide. I never - EVER - said that editing is evil/bad/suck. However when it goes to an extent of removing and twisting plot points and entire story arcs (something that DBZ NEVER did even in the Sabanized era), well... there's a line drawn and it's just been nuked. When Naruto becomes a megahit and outperforms One Piece (4Kids could've made it popular. If it were, I could see a marginal difference in ratings between OP and Naruto, but OP's going to get completely plowed), I'll feel free to point and laugh at 4Kids as I please.

Quote:
Card Captors did poorly, because Nelvana and WB tried to make a female show appeal to males, and lost both audiences as a result.
In the same way, 4Kids decided that butchering One Piece to a level of stupidity was the best move. They lost any audience as a result. Putting it on 4Kids TV in the first place was a stupid idea.

Quote:
4Kids is trying to get the same audience which watches OP in Japan to watch it here, and it's just not registering like they intended. It's not doing as disappointingly as Case Closed, but it's just not the next Yu Gi Oh for the company. That's why they're already moving on with Doremi.
I would imagine that One Piece is hurting their wallet. Terribly. The only solid statement Al Kahn made in his interview with ANN was that the extreme editing is expensive.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Yashou:
Quote:
Viz said that they're considering a 20-30 dollar price point.

That could mean per dvd, not per set. They'd have to gotten Naruto on the cheap to be able to sell an entire season or half season for such a marked-down price. They don't even do that with Inu Yasha; and that series was practically given to them through their Shogakukkan connection.

Quote:
Are you kidding? The Duel Monsters series follows the manga extremely accurate

A lot of people complain that the series is just an infomercial for the card games.

Quote:
For a short period of time One Piece was getting great ratings on Toonami. They could attract the original fans with a better dub and have that fan base to rely on. The Shonen Jump readers aren't entirely clueless, y'know.

Great ratings on CN do not = great ratings on network tv. (See Futurama as an example.)

Quote:
When Naruto becomes a megahit and outperforms One Piece (4Kids could've made it popular. If it were, I could see a marginal difference in ratings between OP and Naruto, but OP's going to get completely plowed), I'll feel free to point and laugh at 4Kids as I please.

Again, marketing doesn't mean a damn thing if the show has a small following. (See Gundam 0079.)

Quote:
In the same way, 4Kids decided that butchering One Piece to a level of stupidity was the best move. They lost any audience as a result.

OP was already stupid. But most people just prefer Mew Mew.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:03 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Great ratings on CN do not = great ratings on network tv. (See Futurama as an example.)

See Family Guy as a counterexample. Its ratings on CN helped persuade Fox to revive a show that had been canceled three years before-that's pretty much unprecedented.

Quote:
Quote:
When Naruto becomes a megahit and outperforms One Piece (4Kids could've made it popular. If it were, I could see a marginal difference in ratings between OP and Naruto, but OP's going to get completely plowed), I'll feel free to point and laugh at 4Kids as I please.

Again, marketing doesn't mean a damn thing if the show has a small following. (See Gundam 0079.)

What? Marketing is what CREATES followings. Gundam 0079 is a terrible example anyway; it already had a built-in following whose expectations had been boosted by Gundam Wing. When they saw a show that was fifteen years older and low-budget even for its time, they abandoned it because it looked so bad by comparison.

Quote:

Even with the dub, OP has a much larger following in the US and Japan than MewMew. See, it's generic, baseless statements like these that keep people from taking anything you say seriously.
nakama

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:15 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Didn't you already say that? Go bother someone else who's living a better life than you.

Kids TV seems to be a fickle business, even more so than adult TV. If a show wants to get its foot in the door, it has to provide more than just a good show. There are other things to worry about, like merchandising and parents with sticks up their ends.

I definitely don't think it's easy to create a kid's TV show that can appeal to a broad array of ages. Some people are better at it than others. Not only do you have to be good, you also have to have a mindset that your cartoon won't be just for kids or to capitalize on a popular fad. That's essentially what family entertainment should be all about.

On a lighter note, I was able to catch a bit of Doremi while surfing, and god was that cute and bubbly. It may even be too cute. Al better know how to handle sugar, because this could be a monster.

i hate 4kids because they hate anime
anyone who does not want them to suffer is not a anime fan in my opinion
i said a couple for days back that they were going down and i was right
i hope they can stop killing anime now
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
That could mean per dvd, not per set. They'd have to gotten Naruto on the cheap to be able to sell an entire season or half season for such a marked-down price. They don't even do that with Inu Yasha; and that series was practically given to them through their Shogakukkan connection.
No, they said that in reference to the box sets. The edited DVDs will likely cost 15-20 dollars (like all Viz edit DVDs) so I don't know what else they could have been referring to.

Quote:
A lot of people complain that the series is just an infomercial for the card games.
Then they're probably not fans of the series (manga or anime) then. Because YGO's anime is near-perfect in transition from manga to anime (excluding filler arcs, which are actually good).

Quote:
As that... other dude said... Family Guy. Regardless, putting any show on Saturday morning basic TV is a bad idea. Saturday morning cartoons are failing. That's no excuse for One Piece, mind you, because it's failing in comparison to everything else.

Quote:
Where did I say "marketing"? But since you brought it up, a show can't get an audience without being advertised. I mean, yeehaw, some adults are going to see a One Piece promo during "Malcolm in the Middle". I'm sure that'll bring in stellar ratings!

Quote:
I like how you state your opinion as fact, but too bad it doesn't work here because OP has a bigger fan base than Mew Mew does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5