• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Protocol: Rain (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:16 pm Reply with quote

Protocol: Rain (TV)

Source: Original (created by Team Kitsune)

Demographic:

Animation Studio: Quad

Genres: action, comedy, drama, tournament

Themes: e-sports, gaming, school, sports

Plot Summary: n the world of e-sports, Shun Tokinoya is a second-year high school student who started working at the e-sports café FOX ONE after his father's accidental death. However, it comes to light that FOX ONE is in a considerable amount of debt. In order to repay the debt, Shun and his friends enter the "Xaxxerion Championship" tournament to win the tournament's prize money.

Air Date & Platform:
October 7, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

I see a decent amount of titles about gaming, but not specifically e-sports. Might check this out just for that curiosity.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:18 pm Reply with quote
That sounds like a fun premise, though the thriller tag has me wondering if it is going to turn into some messed up killing game somehow.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:00 pm Reply with quote
The thriller tag is actually me taking a guess. Most tournament-style shows usually end up "thrilling" in some sense. But like all titles, I just make adjustments as I watch the show Anime catgrin.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:33 am Reply with quote
This is another one going on my give it three episodes list. It belongs pretty firmly in the gamer wish fulfillment category, but the main characters (Lead, childhood friend, and sister) were likable, and there was enough reality with the little touches (the short order cooking, the way the MC provided a shoulder ride for his sister as a matter of course, etc) that I'm willing to suspend my disbelief over the plot...I dunno, conveniences? Unlikelihoods?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Eww, some parts of it I like, but when it comes to an e-sport anime, you will be looking at a lot of gaming, so the gaming in question needs to look decent and be believable. Sadly, the gaming looks absolutely dreadful and the way our mc plays/controls the game is not convincing at all. I suppose it is a decent watch if you ignore the gaming bits, yet that seems a bit backwards in an e-sport anime.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Not the worst, but it's ranked pretty low on the bottom of the season. Just bad storytelling after bad storytelling beat. It must be tough to make e sport anime captivating, but this is extremely generic and while it is an original anime, it feels like it's trying to set up a multi media franchise. Also one of the characters looks like they are right out of Rent a Girlfriend. It also isn't a pretty looking show. Just another title no one will be remembering or talking about after this season ends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1