• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-On! Manga to Cover College, High School in 2 Mags

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!

This has to be the best news of the year! Well, the best news for moe fans at least.

If these get animated (need I even use "if"? lol) I'll be a very, very happy camper.

w00tz!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
That might cause some hard core otaku in Japan to potentially go crazy. . . .

This is exactly why I hope they get boyfriends.
Indeed, it would be quite the business strategy to make the truly obsessed, who spend God only knows how many Yen on every bit of merch and doujinshi they can, rage-quit a highly successful franchise. Please think of the band, they need those obsessed otaku to support them. Wink

Seriously though, while I indulge in fantasies of anime and manga characters, I've never been able to grasp the sheer depths of obsession some people get to. At the end of the day, none of these characters are real. I can gush or squee about a gorgeous anime girl but I know she isn't real. (No, really, I do know. I just don't like it.)

I honestly can't understand why anyone would freak out over a character having a boyfriend. If you're REALLY that upset, go draw a doujinshi with a self-insert author avatar who woos your favorite character away from her boyfriend! That is, after all, as close as any living person can get to being in a relationship with a fictional character.

Note: I have never drawn or written anything where I placed myself in a relationship with a character. I'm too much of a shipper and too little of a Casanova. Cool

Purely from a fan point-of-view, I like this idea. Very often when I read a series set in high school that ends in graduation, I find myself wondering what adventures the characters might have after that point. Nice to know for at least one series, I'll get to find out!
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
Cloud668 wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
I'm sure there are other examples out there, but I'm racking my brain trying to think of another manga that started off in high school and then followed the characters off to college. High school manga almost always end with graduation.

Here's a tip: its anime adaptation was also animated by Kyoani. :P

Hmm... There are a few titles that KyoAni is credited for "Animation Production" in the ANN Encyclopedia that I don't recognize or happen to have seen, so I don't know where they start or finish with respect to schooling. I've got Funi's cheap set of Kanon, but I haven't watched it yet. Lucky Star! didn't make it to college, IIRC. Haruhi and Clannad + After Story aren't based upon manga. So, which manga was it?

I'll look forward to seeing college-aged K-On! girls eventually. I'm not sure if I'll check out the scanlations, so I may have to wait for Yen to get to the new stories...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:35 am Reply with quote
Ugh, this is gonna be like Saved by the Bell: The College Years. This can't end well. 'Cause at some point, they'd have to grow up. You can't be moe when you're finally acting all growed up. Laughing
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
Yui managed to get into college? I hope they aren't all majoring in music, what a bore that would be. Plus I bet Yui don't know sh*t all about music theory.

As far as I know there are no all-girls colleges so they have no excuse for having no male presence. I second the idea of them getting boyfriends Very Happy The fan reaction has the potential to be way more entertaining than the show itself =P
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

This is exactly why I hope they get boyfriends.

Ohh, you'll love to see the otaku squirm! Laughing

But didn't the anime confirm Yui and the gang going to an all-girl private college? Not much chances of hanging out with guys unless they decide to go clubbing.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
I hope they all get boyfriends.

The K-On girls went to an all-girl high school. I bet they'll be going to an all-girl university. Instead of introducing male characters nobody wants to see (apart from little brothers), they can introduce even more moe female side characters and have only girls in every scene.

ss-hikaru wrote:
As far as I know there are no all-girls colleges

There are. In Japan, anyway.
Kohii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
So, pick one: K-On! A&M, ITK-on!, K-OnU!, "The University of K-On!",
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
And after the college years, they can follow the girls as they become alcoholic office women. Oh the fun they'll have!

You're almost like talking about the three (in)famous dojinshi by Takotuboya.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:20 am Reply with quote
other than Tsumugi, the other three are kind of hard to find a boyfriend when they are going to all-girl college.
Clueless313

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
I just hhhnnnnnngg'd everywhere.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:22 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I didn't think all of the girls were going to the same college. I'm presuming the "college girls" K-On! manga will focus on them getting together in their off hours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:23 am Reply with quote
Win! I'm way more excited about the highschool one with Azunyan, Ui, and Jun.

I called it a year ago, I said they should do a spin-off series with them, and it would be better than the main series. Can't wait for this, I really hope they animate it.

Idk about the college years for the original gang, I'll have to wait and see to pass judgment!
sburstall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:15 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
K-ON! the College Years. I like the sound of that! Cool
That was really the only option with the girls. Now kakifly doing a parallel of Azusa's senior year was unexpected, but acceptable.

It's about time that a manga does something beyond high school. This way we all won't look like perverts. Wink

For those asking about an all-girl university in Japan. I do remember Mugi mentioning this [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Women's_University]Japan's Women's University[/url] as her first choice and in the end all the girls getting into here.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:46 am Reply with quote
Another thing about the girls going to college is that we get to see them in a variety of casual clothing. That manga-ka better start drafting lots of different designs! Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4