• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hayate the Combat Butler! Cuties (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Yes, I was so happy to have these chapters animated, I am not a really big Maria fan, but for some reason this chapters with her focus are among my favourite.

For note the first part was from Volume 15, Episode 9. I loved it because we finally saw spoiler[chibi Maria, in her position as the student council president], something I think was mostly hinted at before that. Maria was the spoiler[student who was president for three years] as mentioned by Hinagiku. Also found out that the spoiler[Video Research Club, the club that Nagi and the three idiots are a part of, was actually made by] Shiori, (the teacher and nurseb.ot creator) for the purpose of spoiler[taping Maria].

Most of the episode was from as I mentioned previously, from Volume 18, Episodes 5-7. The spoiler[date between Hayate and Maria], they did add in those God Only Knows references, but I was just happy to see it animated. Laughed at Nagi doing things like writing that spoiler[Hayate had to try on girl clothes, and Maria had to embarrassingly try on swimsuits, with not so subtle insults]. If you want to know why Maria spoiler[went on the date] instead of Nagi, it was because Nagi was entirely aware that spoiler[she would just look like a little sister]. They also kind of left out that it was Hinagiku's spoiler[first time to the aquarium] so she was kind of having fun (spoiler[also why she pressed the button]).

The shorts are always a chuckle, I assume Nagi's popularity contest was a prank as both Maria and Hinagiku are above her. Probably a red herring, but I noticed the purple racoon dog thing that is like this season's mascot was amongst the spoiler[penguins].
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Yes, I was so happy to have these chapters animated, I am not a really big Maria fan, but for some reason this chapters with her focus are among my favourite.

I always thought Maria was a much underused character. She's cute now and she was definitely cute as a blossoming moppet in the president's chair. Too bad she was jailbait.

What I never understood is with all her talents her choice of career path was to be a maid. But whatever.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
What I never understood is with all her talents her choice of career path was to be a maid. But whatever.

Actually that is an interesting topic that I would like to address, I don't think it is really a big spoiler or anything. Maria was actually spoiler[hired to be Nagi's tutor, at the time Nagi was likely a bigger recluse than she is now and would not listen to anyone she considered less intelligent than herself. Maria played chess against Nagi and won], despite Nagi's love of games, she spoiler[never plays against Maria, because Maria always wins. Maria then became the first person Nagi opened up to after that, and Maria started "take care of her personal affairs]".

My guess is that there is probably some emotional things involved like Nagi being so lonely after losing her mother, and that Maria herself is actually an orphan found by a church.
mad mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:07 am Reply with quote
I've always liked Maria, it's just a shame that her never doing anything in the series has become a meme with fans. If you think the anime is bad about it she gets even less attention in the manga.

Quote:
The shorts are always a chuckle, I assume Nagi's popularity contest was a prank as both Maria and Hinagiku are above her. Probably a red herring, but I noticed the purple racoon dog thing that is like this season's mascot was amongst the

Nagi is actually ahead of Maria in every poll after the first one, but yes, she's in no danger of being first.

The plushie has shown up one time in the background of every episode so far. That will probably be a thing next episode.

Incidentally, episodes 11 and 12 are confirmed to be when the show breaks away from adapting random chapters and will be a new story created by the manga author.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I liked this episode a lot and Maria should definitely have her hair down more often
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

An original episode that had the time keep changing back and forth. probably good concept to try as we might be confused at first and then we find out what scenes meant later, or even what other characters were doing in the meantime. It kept me on my toes.

Interesting fact, Hayate has previously kissed two girls, both when he was a child. The first was spoiler[Athena], which is why it cut to him being hurt when he mentioned kissing a girl. The second was spoiler[Izumi], although neither have figured it out, she did it as a spoiler[thanks for him saving her and her toy from a dog], she is now embarrassed that she would kiss some random boy. What her friend said may have been a reference to that event.

Must find out how Hayate ended up in spoiler[womens clothing trying to kiss a drunk katsura].
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 -- actually not a bad episode for once. I wish more of this season was like this.

But really, is it so implausible that Hayate can't think it or see it that if he explained everything to either Maria or Hina and asked them nicely, they would more than likely be willing to do it? Why does so much anime humor have to based on the idea that Japanese are so uptight about even innocent displays of affection?
mad mac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't a huge fan of cuties but I do love the last two episodes. Cool

Given their track record, Manglobe may as well stick to original stories. Even the weakest parts of CTMEOY were mostly adapted material, oddly enough.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Crossdressing Hayate in an epic dust-up with a drunken Yukiji? Mein Gott, that was awesome.
Really liked the final two eps. Liked the non-linear timeline, liked the stupid fights, liked the overwrought melodrama, liked the cartoonish stupidity. This is Hayate at it's best.

It got me thinking about the overall arc of the Hayate anime franchise (I never read the manga nor do I plan to). The first season is essentially a parody Shounen Jump style shows. It's an action/comedy, and while there are harem elements, it remains a PG-rated show. There are also a lot of male characters, characters that have all but disappeared from subsequent seasons (seriously, think about little airtime any-non Hayate male got in this season -- not even enough to fill one episode). This is Hayate at it's finest--zany action-comedy with a cheesy romantic subplot.

The season season tries to turn the story into a harem show slash shounen romantic comedy. It is an unmitigated disaster. The action themes are removed and replaced with romantic drama and love triangles, and it doesn't work that well. The Hayate movie is a continuation of this theme, and compounds the problem with taking a sharp swing to the fantasy realm. Hayate works best in the realm of crazy implausibility--things that you never would expect to happen, but you would admit they could. This compromises the low part of the Hayate franchise.

The third season returned more to the roots of the franchise, but was plagued by problems. First, Hayate works best in short story arcs and standalone episodes. This had a long story arc split in the middle by half a dozen filler episodes, which totally ruined the pacing. There was also the problem with the art style. While the quality of the show was better, the change in character designs was jarring and distracting. And the tone of the show changed again, become much more serious in nature, which clashed with the show's comedic core.

The fourth season swung the tone around once again. This time it fully embraced it's harem elements, and also became much more mature, with the occasional fanservice scenes and girls in their underwear. Really, more of an PG-13 kind of feel, but I think the maturity adds to the show. It also returned to short concise stories and arcs, and for the first time really felt the Hayate of old. With the third and fourth seasons, I think Hayate has stopped trying to imitate and parody other shows and has become a show comfortable as itself. This season was the best season since the first--it avoids the pitfalls previous seasons fell into, it keeps the Hayate charm, and adds a little spice for the fanboys. Finally, another good season. Now, the question is can they repeat it a fifth time?
mad mac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
You know, just because I feel like talking about what the deal is with all the ZKC references this season... It's actually sort of a neat little running gag that's been going on for years.

Several years ago, the respective authors for ZKC and Hayate (Both published in Sunday) ended up writing the same punchline in the same week. Hata offered to re-draw his and Shiina drew a cute little crossover 4koma that week as an apology.

Hata loved it so much he started mentioning how much he'd like his characters to appear in the anime as well, and boy howdy did they ever. The original ZKC anime is crammed full of HnG references and cameos, several of which are voiced. Besides the author connection, the first seasons of both anime were produced back to back by the same studio and a lot of the same staff so it was easy to fit in.

So really, Cuties is just returning the favor, with the added advantage of following the most recent season of ZKC again from the same production company and a lot of staff crossover. It's a fun way to promote both series and I hope they can keep it going somehow. Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

The non-linear timelines of this episode have been a pretty good decision, especially when you found out there was a punch line before the main setup. There does feel that they found some of their good gags, like when Hayate and spoiler[Yukiji started a huge over the top brawl, only for her to pass collapse from the alcohol with big words saying the end]. And big surprise that spoiler[the two mascots were Nagi's parents, although I did already think they had used Sugita's voice as Nagi's father] in Can't Take My Eyes Off You.

Overall I will rate it Good, I am a Hayate fan, and this was not an awful attempt.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I should have seen that reveal coming, but I didn't. I enjoyed this little story arc. I should really try and watch season 1 again. Gave this a Good
Papochulo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:

Actually that is an interesting topic that I would like to address, I don't think it is really a big spoiler or anything. Maria was actually spoiler[hired to be Nagi's tutor, at the time Nagi was likely a bigger recluse than she is now and would not listen to anyone she considered less intelligent than herself. Maria played chess against Nagi and won], despite Nagi's love of games, she spoiler[never plays against Maria, because Maria always wins. Maria then became the first person Nagi opened up to after that, and Maria started "take care of her personal affairs]".

My guess is that there is probably some emotional things involved like Nagi being so lonely after losing her mother, and that Maria herself is actually an orphan found by a church.

I recall reading somewhere that when the writer is close to ending the manga series he plans on doing a story arc devoted to Maria.
Papochulo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 12

The non-linear timelines of this episode have been a pretty good decision, especially when you found out there was a punch line before the main setup. There does feel that they found some of their good gags, like when Hayate and spoiler[Yukiji started a huge over the top brawl, only for her to pass collapse from the alcohol with big words saying the end]. And big surprise that spoiler[the two mascots were Nagi's parents, although I did already think they had used Sugita's voice as Nagi's father] in Can't Take My Eyes Off You.

Overall I will rate it Good, I am a Hayate fan, and this was not an awful attempt.

spoiler[I think these were the only times you got to see the faces of Nagi's parents, which, unless I'm wrong, haven't even been shown in the manga.
]

And BTW, has Nagi gotten taller?
mad mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I recall reading somewhere that when the writer is close to ending the manga series he plans on doing a story arc devoted to Maria.

Kinda/sorta. More that there's stuff about her he can't reveal until the end, I think.

Quote:
spoiler[I think these were the only times you got to see the faces of Nagi's parents, which, unless I'm wrong, haven't even been shown in the manga.]

And BTW, has Nagi gotten taller?

spoiler[Yukariko has shown up a few times in the manga, but CTMEOY is the first time we get any information on Nagi's dad. Personally I'm really fond of him, now.]

I think they made an effort to make Nagi look a little older in the last two seasons. She's almost 14 at that point, after all. (Nagi's birthday is in Dec.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6