• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Meganebu! (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote

Meganebu! (TV)

Genres: shoujo, slice of life

Plot: The story revolves around a group of 5 glasses-wearing high school boys and their relationships.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:
Seems okay I guess. It details the relationship of the boys at a school life setting with a slice of life touch to it. I'm not sure which of the guys I'm in favor of the most although it definitely had some humor.

spoiler["I'm the only one getting dissed?!"]
I couldn't help but laugh at that scene.

Artwork seems okay I guess. OP song is catchy enough and some of the artistic gags added in gave me some giggles.

Last edited by Stark700 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much agree with Zac. Except for the fujoshi-bait part. Well, i'm sure it's supposed to be fujoshi-bait, but even putting on my strongest fujoshi goggles (hah!), doesn't make me want to ship any of those incredibly boring and/or annoying guys together...maybe i'd be able to appreciate it more if i actually had a glasses fetish?!

But yeah, nice colors.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I feel Zac was a bit too harsh with this show.

It's just goofy fun, and sometimes I enjoy just goofy fun. It may not have the best animation I've seen, but it's very bright an colorful. I like that.

I found the boys's antics this episode to be amusing and funny.

Not the best thing I've seen, but enough to get me to want to watch the next episode.

Hope it keeps up the good humor.
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Anime for ladies with a glasses fetish? Megane-bu!

Anime for dudes with a glasses fetish? G-On Riders!

These shows are SO different!

Anyway, this one was in a pack that I copied from a friend's pen drive on a bandwidth-saving exchange so I watched it anyway. Despite being very far outside the target audience I'll still applaud it for humour and art.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

All it took me was to watch the very beginning to realize that this is a BL glasses fetish anime, and since I don't really have an interest in that I doubt I will watch this all the way through. The use of colour was also somewhat upsetting too, with extra characters turned into weird blobs.

But in saying all that I do have to admit that I found some of the goofy humour funny. One guy taking his shirt of was so obvious that it kind of earned a laugh, that is what Free has done. I am still trying to find out if I am humoured or disturbed by the cream thing.... I will go with not liking that part, only traps can get away with that in my opinion. Also I was a bit annoyed that it took the MC so long to figure out spoiler[there was no lady].

I do wonder if the target audience are the type that would like the guys planning to see naked ladies, as I doubt those parts are going to attract others that much.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
So colorful.....
The megane guys are cute, but the backgrounds are hurting my eyes.
Why did they make the colors so bright?!
Kinda reminds me of Persona 4 with the glasses and bright colors.
The plot is, well, not eventful...
I'm gonna skip this.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
This show is dumb as Hell, but I kind of like it for that.

At some level, the whole premise is just so inscrutable and inane to me, that it's innately amusing just by existing. That it's just so cheerfully, exuberantly stupid can take that all the way to being genuinely funny. What I like is that these weirdos are idiots with ambition. They have irrationally big, impossible dreams that they pursue to their inevitable failure with enthusiasm and panache.

It's also just sweet and sincere enough that the little tear-jerker in the second half of episode three actually accomplished what it set out to do. I wasn't precisely weeping, but it tugged my heartstrings some, which I by no means expected out of this.

I'm very relieved that my curiosity about Soubi Yamamoto has been rewarded. Her direction has imbued this series with remarkable, sometimes overwhelming visual flair. Meganebu has a very dynamic look, full of visual flourishes and novelties. It's also an astoundingly colorful show. I don't think it's even just that the colors are bright, they somehow seem richer and more profound than normal. I don't really know well enough to make this guess, but I can't help but wonder if Soubi Yamamoto has lifted from Jacques Demy's playbook by exaggerating colors as he did in The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.

I can't say that I will buy this when Sentai Filmworks released it on home video, but I expect to be quite pleased to have watched it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
@Surrender Artist,
You pretty much described my own thoughts on this show in a more eloquent way than I ever could. Glad I wasn't the only one who had their heartstrings tugged in the last episode. That was actually a nice little surprise as I did not expect this show to do something quite like that or rather that it could evoke an emotion like that.

Certainly at this point it's a definite buy for me. I want to support it so we can get more oddball titles like this one.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow... wow... I mean... wow, this is a dumb show. Oh, what a splendidly dumb show. I wasn't even laughing through the first act so much as paralyzed with a dumbfounded smile at what I was seeing. The second half wasn't much different.

Hayato's observation (I think it was Hayato... doesn't really matter), "This isn't a glasses club, it's just a bunch of high school guys in glasses hanging out together," suggests uncanny self-awareness. Meganebu is dumb and just looks like a weird fetish show, but sometimes I almost think that it, along with The Flowers of Evil and Watamote, is rebelling against itself. That's probably giving it too much thought and credit.

I thought that the comic-book affectations used in the first half of episode five were really neat. I was taken back at first when I noticed that the shading on the characters was in half-tones. (I think that's the term) This has been a surprisingly, almost incongruously good-looking show. Perhaps, it's at least been an interesting-looking one.

I can't help but notice, just as I did while watching Free, that this series presumably aimed at the 'enjoyment' of a female audience features a cast of male characters who often act rather girly. Especially... that one... you know, the one who's bitchy to the one with fake glasses and... the other guy? You know, the one with the creampuffs. As I think of it, I can't say that this series has encouraged me to develop a keen sense of what its characters or like... or even really remember their names.

sakuragtin wrote:
Certainly at this point it's a definite buy for me. I want to support it so we can get more oddball titles like this one.

I have reconsidered that, if for not other reason than consistency with the fact that I've bought everything from Soubi Yamamoto that Sentai Filmworks has released. I'm pretty sure that I'm not her demographic, but there's something about her just strange enough for me to be intrigued.
Morisummer500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I watched a lot of anime series, and I really liked most of them, DEMO,
Meganebu is one of the worse series I ever seen! It was just too stupid and boring, I could barely stomach the first episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1