• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Peach-Pit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say Digi Charat is aimed at males. It looks like it's aimed at both genders to me; girls like cuteness and wacky hijinks too, after all, and what I've seen of the anime and manga has been thankfully free of fanservice.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I wouldn't say Digi Charat is aimed at males. It looks like it's aimed at both genders to me; girls like cuteness and wacky hijinks too, after all, and what I've seen of the anime and manga has been thankfully free of fanservice.

Well, perhaps in its current incarnation it's aimed at both genders, but the main trio were originally mascots for a video game store if I remember correctly (with the original series being commercial vignettes for said store). One would imagine that, given the average gamer clientele in Japan, they were thus originaly aimed at a male otaku audience with a thing for moe. But then, naturally, they developed a life of their own and exist as we see them today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:14 am Reply with quote
NeoSam wrote:

Quote:
Have you ever thought of doing a shoujo manga?

LOL.
You are asking Peach-Pit who got their fame by targeting "horny" male otakus.

Right.. because then it would be a change of pace for them.... How is that not a valid question? It makes perfect sense, especially because they've only done shonen so far...
NeoSam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:45 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

There are many cute moe manga for guys that does not have any fanservice in them at all, and still they are targeted at males.

Di Gi Charat manga
Di Gi Charat Theatre manga
Di Gi Charat: Dejiko's Champion Cup Theatre manga

These are all cute manga thats targeted at male audience, they were serialized in shounen magazines and aimed at male audience.

Pita-Ten was serialized in the shounen manga magazine Dengeki Gao! and its a cute manga aimed at males.

Bottle Fairy is serialized in the bishoujo manga magazine Magical Cute and its a cute manga/anime aimed at males (bishoujo manga magazines are aimed at males).

Petpeto-san is serialized in the bishoujo manga magazine Magical Cute and its a cute manga/anime aimed at males.

And yes there are more, more and more cute manga thats targeted at male audience, just ask me and I'll mention even more. if you want cute manga for females then look at manga thats serialized in shoujo/josei magazines.

SakechanBD wrote:
Right.. because then it would be a change of pace for them.... How is that not a valid question? It makes perfect sense, especially because they've only done shonen so far...

Yeah I agree, I just thought it was a little funny, asking such a question to Peach-Pit.
Ok maybe its not funny at all >_>

Last edited by NeoSam on Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:55 am Reply with quote
NeoSam wrote:
retarded crap

Your entire argument is based on "So-and-so is serialized in [target audience] magazine, therefore it MUST be a [target audience] manga."

Why don't you come back when you can engage on a level of discussion that goes beyond hammering the same stupid point over and over.

Anyway, how would that categorize stuff that shows up in Comic Cue then? What's the target audience of an "alternative" manga anthology? Do they cater to "alternative" people? That doesn't even mean anything.
NeoSam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:59 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
even more retarded crap

Alternative manga magazines are targeted at both sexes.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:43 am Reply with quote
NeoSam wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

There are many cute moe manga for guys that does not have any fanservice in them at all, and still they are targeted at males.

Di Gi Charat manga
Di Gi Charat Theatre manga
Di Gi Charat: Dejiko's Champion Cup Theatre manga

These are all cute manga thats targeted at male audience, they were serialized in shounen magazines and aimed at male audience.

Pita-Ten was serialized in the shounen manga magazine Dengeki Gao! and its a cute manga aimed at males.

Bottle Fairy is serialized in the bishoujo manga magazine Magical Cute and its a cute manga/anime aimed at males (bishoujo manga magazines are aimed at males).

Petpeto-san is serialized in the bishoujo manga magazine Magical Cute and its a cute manga/anime aimed at males.

And yes there are more, more and more cute manga thats targeted at male audience, just ask me and I'll mention even more. if you want cute manga for females then look at manga thats serialized in shoujo/josei magazines.

What's funny is, except for Pita-ten, which I'm not all that familiar with, every series you just mentioned is pretty much beloved by every female anime fan I know, and ignored by every male I know. Besides, it may be that while the manga equivalent of these series is aimed at males, the anime may be aimed at both genders (and maybe popularity with both genders is what made them wellknown enought to be animated in the first place.)

By contrast, DearS and Rozen Maiden don't really have too many female fans; DearS is pretty blatently about nekkid space girls hugging guys, and Rozen Maiden has that creppy lolicon vibe to it. I don't know anything about Zombie-Loan though; is it as blatently similar to Bleach and Yu Yu Hakusho as its encyclopedia entry makes it sound?
NeoSam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:57 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

What's funny is, except for Pita-ten, which I'm not all that familiar with, every series you just mentioned is pretty much beloved by every female anime fan I know, and ignored by every male I know. Besides, it may be that while the manga equivalent of these series is aimed at males, the anime may be aimed at both genders (and maybe popularity with both genders is what made them wellknown enought to be animated in the first place.)

Thats the way it is with anime, trying to target a wider audience to get more ratings, as to stuff like Petopeto-san the artist is YUG and he's pretty famous with male otakus that like cute moe manga, thats why it got an anime, because of the male otakus that read his stuff.

I know many males that like cute stuff, check the profile of posters in threads in AS forum (I hope you know what AS is because I don't think the rules allow me to link you to it)

Ahh yeah Kamichu! is another cute moe manga/anime thats targeted at males (Serialized in the seinen(young men's) manga magazine Dengeki Daioh).

Wyvern wrote:

By contrast, DearS and Rozen Maiden don't really have too many female fans; DearS is pretty blatently about nekkid space girls hugging guys, and Rozen Maiden has that creppy lolicon vibe to it. I don't know anything about Zombie-Loan though; is it as blatently similar to Bleach and Yu Yu Hakusho as its encyclopedia entry makes it sound?

The first few chapters were scanlated just check them out.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:44 am Reply with quote
Rozen Maiden had about as much creepy lolicon in it as Azumanga Daioh, at least in the anime.

You know, I really like Fruits Basket, but too bad thats a shoujo manga. I'd hate for it not to be aimed at me.
freya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
wow its for horny men its look like a letter or something too short
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:27 pm Reply with quote
freya wrote:
wow its for horny men its look like a letter or something too short

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean by that. Could you perhaps rephrase it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NeoSam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
If some people are not going to read/watch a manga/anime just because they are not the target audience then it's their loss.

I like DNAngel and Aishiteruze Baby and I know that both of them are aimed at girls but that doesn't bother me, and I enjoy watching/reading both of them. But I do not go around saying they are shounen manga/anime just because I like them. (Hmm... I like them both, then lets see: DNAngel is a shounen manga/anime and Aishiteruze Baby is a shounen loli manga/anime. wow that does feel good Razz , No I don't say stuff like that.)

No a cute manga thats serialized in a shounen/seinen magazines are not shoujo manga, and how much you would like it to be a shoujo manga it will never be. cute manga thats serialized in shounen/seinen magazines are targeted at males no matter you like it or not, you want a cute manga for females, then look in shoujo/josei magazines. and stop claiming stuff like "Its a cute shoujo manga" about shounen/seinen manga/anime that are created to appeal to males.

Cute moe manga/anime for males that are being broadcasted in japan: PaniPoni Dash!, Ichigo Mashimaro, Petopeto-san and Kamichu!.

Cute manga/anime for females that are being broadcasted in japan: Sugar Sugar Rune.
T man 123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote
do you even know what channel and time its on?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
T man 123 wrote:

DearS isn't being televised on American TV, nor is Rozen Maiden. I'm not sure if they're still being rerun in Japan or not...
JHawkNH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:32 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
T man 123 wrote:

DearS isn't being televised on American TV, nor is Rozen Maiden. I'm not sure if they're still being rerun in Japan or not...

DearS may not be on TV, but at least we can pick it up on DVD.
On a side note, I have heard that TokyoPop has picked up Rozen Maiden. Anyone know if this is true?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3