• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim to Begin One Piece with Episode 207 on May 18

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
Also, why such a late date? Isn't Thundercats ending soon? Or is OP replacing something else??
StrawHat313

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's not like it's hard tossing people into a WSJ series in the middle and seeing if they can swim, but that works better when the series runs daily. I didn't start watching DBZ until somewhere towards the beginning of the Saiyan arc, but it also helped I could see 5 episodes a week and not feel totally bewildered for 7 days inbetween. Also, that meant I was only around episode 22 or so. Getting someone initiated some 200 episodes in is a bit tougher. Even catching that up takes a long time.

I'm not sure if that "swim" pun was intended, but either way lol.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
gingergaffot wrote:
the fuсk it's doing on adult swim. What, nicelodeon was too busy?

Well it's not much different than like having the original Naruto series on Toonami but in uncut. One Piece is better suited for Adult Swim Toonami, Neon Alley, and the Funimation Channel than something like Nicktoons, CW or Disney.

If Nicktoons wanted to air One Piece, it would be the original 4Kids English dub version, not this Funimation dub. 1 of the issues people had with the 4Kids version was all of the censors they made to the series like a lollipop instead of a cigarette. My guess is, it's better to show it uncensored on Adult Swim's Toonami than just basically bringing back the 4Kids version which is something that would have been impossible to show on Toonami when it was just part of the normal portion of Cartoon Network.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Good thing its not from ep1
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:

If Nicktoons wanted to air One Piece, it would be the original 4Kids English dub version, not this Funimation dub. 1 of the issues people had with the 4Kids version was all of the censors they made to the series like a lollipop instead of a cigarette. My guess is, it's better to show it uncensored on Adult Swim's Toonami than just basically bringing back the 4Kids version which is something that would have been impossible to show on Toonami when it was just part of the normal portion of Cartoon Network.

Um no it wouldn't. Did they dig up the saban version of DBZ no. Kai was pretty much left intact. One Piece would of been fine with Funimation's dub.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Also, why such a late date? Isn't Thundercats ending soon? Or is OP replacing something else??

My guess is Tenchi Muyo GXP. It's too late for Sym-Bionic Titan since that's been doing some reruns for a few weeks now. Thundercats, it feels like some other show will either replace it, or will go the Sym-Bionic Titan route and just repeat the episodes all over again.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
MoonPhase1 wrote:

Um no it wouldn't. Did they dig up the saban version of DBZ no. Kai was pretty much left intact. One Piece would of been fine with Funimation's dub.

DBZ, DBZ Kai and GT doesn't have much to edit out. One Piece does since it's for an older audience.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Wised it had started from the beginning as i've never seen the show before. I really don' think I can catch up in time either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
It'd take 4 years to get to this point if they started (again) from the beginning, which is only a little bit beyond where the old Toonami broadcasts reached. I gotta think this is the smarter move.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
MoonPhase1 wrote:

DBZ, DBZ Kai and GT doesn't have much to edit out. One Piece does since it's for an older audience.

No it's not. One Piece aims for the same audience that DBZ does.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:

Smile Actually, One Piece and Dragonball are all aimed at the same audience: children. They're both very popular morning kids shows in Japan
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
^

Kai aired back to back with One Piece between 2009 and 2011 in Fuji TV's sunday morning anime timeslot. Though I wouldn't say 'kids' but tweens and teens as they aren't exactly 'pure' kodomo anime like Doraemon, Pokemon, Anpanman or Inazuma.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
....And nothing of value was lost
hey adult swim enough of shounen crap play something not mainstream and get the 'ol ACTN back
firedragon54738 wrote:
Its time to start the count down to Toonami ends

LOL
gingergaffot wrote:
the [expletive] it's doing on adult swim. What, nickelodeon was too busy?

Speaking of nick, spike ain't playing just like mtv and mtv2 so nicktoons instead of teennick but another cartoon network wannabe.

cartoon network is not nick/nicktoons
disney/xd is not nick/nicktoons
nicktoons is not cartoon network or disney xd
and thistv, smile of a child, qubo and vortexx is not cartoon network

Aside of network decay the 3 so-called cartoon networks are acting up and changing that play from cartoons to anime since the old nick and not all anime are for kids no wonder no shoujo anime.
nick/nicktoons vs disney/xd vs cartoon network/adult swim
all down rated period too much ads.
bigivel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
MoonPhase1 wrote:

Smile Actually, One Piece and Dragonball are all aimed at the same audience: children. They're both very popular morning kids shows in Japan

The target audience isn't children(Doraemon, pokemon and Inazuma 11 is for children). The target audience for DB and OP is Teens!
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
The target audience isn't children(Doraemon, pokemon and Inazuma 11 is for children). The target audience for DB and OP is Teens!

One Piece's timeslot was previously held by Digimon, and that timeslot is a very popular Sunday morning kids timeslot. The TV station even lists it under their kids anime category. There's nothing wrong with admitting you watch a kids show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5