• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan (manga).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the political stuff. Last chapter's spoiler[coup] was exciting to read.

I never would have guessed that spoiler[ Eren ate his dad, but I saw people speculate about it. It still blew my mind, though!]. I can't wait to see it all animated. Come on, anime sequel!
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Damn I shouldn't have clicked on that spoiler... Though I'm not slightly more inclined to read further than dropping it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
Reading Attack on Titan on Crunchyroll until this point (65). spoiler[Man, things are exciting in theory but in practice the author is waaaay overusing speeches so every chapter consists for the most part of 25 pages of speeches and 15 of advancing the plot, and that's what you expect with any new episode. He has way too many concepts and moral discussions to put into (the whole stuff about the races and control increases the pile of cognitive dissonance of this author's beliefs and his work xD) and nice intentions but they slow down this too much. If the anime is again 25 episode to cover around 34 chapters it's going to be too painfully slow with all these speeches, I hope they know what they're doing and how structure it.]

spoiler[It's still exciting though, the episode still builds and I wasn't expecting Historia to turn into a titan for two reasons: 1-That humorous omake at the end on one volume that shows the other human main characters turning into titans, Historia included (when the author puts something like that you assume it's a no-no, in fact I was kind of expecting Sasha to turn because she was the only one who wasn't~~), and 2-they build so much that she's going to be injected that everything was screaming 'other is going to take it', and the previous episode's ending with Kenny's revelation was basically saying that. So in those terms nice for challenging my expectations.]

spoiler[Now I don't know what's going to happen: Eren or Historia, one of those is going to die because unless Historia eats him she's not going to come back (and there's nobody else to eat), and because Eren still has pendent development Historia will probably be. Poor Ymir then and their promise of keep living, although I guess Ymir will be also dead because of Reiner and Bert so she'll never know.]
ben10pku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
{Please read "Teh Rules"; specifically, the last sentence of #3. ~nobahn}
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:31 am Reply with quote
It's been a while since we've talked about this series, and a lot has happened to change our understanding of what the blazes is going on in the world of Attack on Titan. After Crunchyroll's release of Chapter 84 (wherein spoiler[Armin becomes a titan and eats the Colossal Titan]), Chapter 85 (wherein spoiler[Eren's key doesn't fit the lock to the basement and Levi responds by kicking down the basement door]) and Chapter 86 (wherein spoiler[omg this is all just taking place on an island]), it feels like a good time to take a step back and talk about where this series is going, how long it's going to take to get there, and how we feel about it.

First of all, let's talk about where we were a year ago. Last fall, we were finishing up the so-called "political" storyline. A lot of readers were ready to move on, and I think this past year has done a lot to address the problems fans were starting to have with the series. At the same time, we need to acknowledge that we're about to see another major shift in the story, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of fans are throwing up their hands in the air and shouting "enough, this isn't what I signed on for!"

That brings me to my next point: after Chapter 86 (that noise you hear is the editors of the Attack on Titan wiki madly scrambling to update every entry with the word spoiler["Eldian"]), I think it's fair to say that Hajime Isayama has left the door open for this manga to go on for years and years. If the manga continues to sell like gangbusters, and the second season of the anime adaptation proves to be a hit in America, I think we can expect Attack on Titan to be a 30+ volume series. It's nice that he's started resolving plot points introduced in volume one (spoiler[hooray they made it to the basement]), but that doesn't do anything to move us towards the end of the series if he's going to widen the scope of the story (spoiler[I can't wait to see Ymir tear into an airship]).

I can safely say that my idea of how this story is going to end has significantly changed several times over the past six months, and that doesn't sound like a story that is "starting to wrap itself up" to me. While Seasons Two and Three of the anime will definitely be interesting, I think that the creators are going to have to pick up the pace of these adaptations if they expect the show to go on for Four or more seasons, especially considering the major shifts in the kind of story Attack on Titan seems to want to tell.

Also, spoiler[an island nation off the coast of a giant country gets defeated because their leaders were in the wrong, and then forgets what made their people great in the first place, and now the giant country is being aggressive]? Very subtle.

Finally, art check: the art continues to get better, but the "is that Eren or Levi?" problem is still happening a lot more than it should.
AnneAlmgren

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:21 am Reply with quote
WRONG THREAD !! FULL OF SPOILERS !
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2