• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation to Unveil New Anime Next Friday

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kastel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Funnycupcakes wrote:
Okay im sorry if im a bit well. Arrogant. Im new to all this otaku thing. swimming anime or not. Ill still watch it coz they are guys right? ;3 (Still think its swimming anime. can't change that)

They probably are, but we'll have to check the h-doujinshis later to make sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I don't know what will prompt the more hilarious reaction, if it turns out to be SWIMMING ANIME or if it turns out to be anything other than SWIMMING ANIME.

I know numerous anons have threatened to burn /a/ to the ground if it is the swimming anime, probably bringing their grief to other sites, including this one.

I don't really get it, I mean the staff of Kyoani appears to be 75% female and the guys look like herbivore hipsters. Why be so mad if they want to switch things up once in awhile and do something that the female staff want to do? It's not like it would be the end of them doing cute girl shows.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

I don't really get it, I mean the staff of Kyoani appears to be 75% female and the guys look like herbivore hipsters. Why be so mad if they want to switch things up once in awhile and do something that the female staff want to do? It's not like it would be the end of them doing cute girl shows.

They apparently think KyoAni is "their" animation studio and must only cater to them. Therefore, *anything* aimed at another group is a betrayal. Which is [expletive] stupid, of course, but there you go.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, someone's in a snit because he's not getting enough "kids piloting mechas" bullshit. Boo-hoo-hoo.

I'd actually like to see more things like Mawaru Penguindrum, but yeah, I'll take kids piloting mecha over high school kids with speech problems pandering to fetishistic mouth-breathers.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
What speech problem did any character in Tamako Market, Chuunibyou, or Hyouka have?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

They apparently think KyoAni is "their" animation studio and must only cater to them. Therefore, *anything* aimed at another group is a betrayal. Which is [expletive] stupid, of course, but there you go.

Except for the fact KyoAni is only around because of the otaku money funding them.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, someone's in a snit because he's not getting enough "kids piloting mechas" bullshit. Boo-hoo-hoo.

I'd actually like to see more things like Mawaru Penguindrum, but yeah, I'll take kids piloting mecha over high school kids with speech problems pandering to fetishistic mouth-breathers.

I know you enjoy punching that strawman so much, but it makes you look pretty silly.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Except for the fact KyoAni is only around because of the otaku money funding them.

So? The otaku got the BDs they payed for. And 99.999999% of English speakers didn't buy the JP BDs, and those are the people mainly being discussed, I think. In either case, KyoAni is under no obligation to ONLY make stuff for them. And it's not like KyoAni isn't going to make more cute girl stuff for them. And it's not they all of them always turn out to buy KyoAni's cute girl shows either (Tamako Market snd Nichijou say hi).
Kastel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Indeed, KyoAni is sponsored by Otaku money unlike any other studio, which relies on good money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

Fujoshi are Otaku. Both under the americanized loanword meaning and the original Japanese meaning.

It's okay, guys. Girls coming into your incestuous clubhouse will not give you cooties and kill you.
Draneor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

There are many different types of otaku, you know.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Since we're doing "crazy speculations", maybe it is a new Full Metal Panic series. Why? Noticed lately those Chuunibyou BD promo extras are mostly Rikka and Sanae fighting in mechas? I bet those are practice runs for KyoAni to animate the 3DCG mechs so they could apply them to FMP. Surprised
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I know you enjoy punching that strawman so much, but it makes you look pretty silly.

Not only that, but the idea that Penguindrum wasn't designed to appeal to the same demographic that penguintruth claims to disdain is truly hilarious.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Not only that, but the idea that Penguindrum wasn't designed to appeal to the same demographic that penguintruth claims to disdain is truly hilarious.

It certainly can appeal to that demographic with some of its superficial aesthetics, but it isn't dependent on it, nor do I imagine it was designed to be some soulless, meandering, cutesy slice-of-life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Blood- wrote:

It certainly can appeal to that demographic with some of its superficial aesthetics, but it isn't dependent on it, nor do I imagine it was designed to be some soulless, meandering, cutesy slice-of-life.

Yeah, I hear it was pretty big with pretentious blowhards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 17